U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 PM

373 posts, read 669,536 times

Advertisements

I want to learn to make really great home made bananna pudding.
I don't want to just take some vanilla pudding, chop up some naners, and put in a couple of Nilla Wafers.

I want it to taste like the bannana pudding from the Garden of Eden, before the fall of man.
I want it to taste like your great grandmothers original southern recipe that some restaurant chain stole cause it tasted too good not to.
I want it taste like that feeling you get on the first perfect beautiful weather day of the Spring Time.
I want it to make me have dreams that make me wake up at the breakfast table from sleep walking to the kitchen at 3am.
I want all my friends to be wiiling to pay me for the recipe.
I want my family to leave me a bigger inheritance because they feel like my bannana pudd'n brings respect to the family.
I want it to taste like dessert at Heaven's dinner table.

So bring it to me forum.
Talk To Me Bout Some Bananna Pudd'n!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 PM

35,120 posts, read 40,051,684 times
I have an old cookbook and I believe it is from the Amish, I'll see if I can find it tomorrow and look through it. If there is something in there I think is appropriate I will post it then.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:16 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,027,713 times
For me, the trick is to make it the day before, or at least 8 hours in advance, to give the bananas time to permeate the vanilla pudding, and for the cookies to get soft.

I make vanilla pudding from scratch, and pour the warm pudding over the cookies and banana slices in the bottom of a baking dish. I don't usually layer it, because I like more pudding than cookies, but if I'm making a big batch for a potluck or something, I will make layers in a big glass bowl, so it's purty.

Here's the basic vanilla pudding recipe I use, but as long as you make the pudding from scratch, pretty much any recipe will do. This one has egg yolks, but there are recipes without that work just as well.

• 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 vanilla bean, split
In a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Slowly stir in milk & heavy cream. Split the vanilla bean & add seeds to milk mixture. Put it on medium heat & cook until it thickens just a bit. This might take a while; it's important to stir really frequently. In a small bowl beat egg yolks. Gradually add a little of the milk mixture to the yolks, stirring constantly. You don't want to cook the yolks, so go slow, mix it well, and add a little more milk at a time until about half the milk mixture is mixed with the yolks, then pour all of that back into the saucepan and heat to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. This is a dish you have to stay right with, don't walk away or the milk might scorch. Remove from heat and stir in the butter. If there are pieces of cooked egg, you *can* put the pudding through a sieve to get those out, but that's usually not necessary.

I used to make my own vanilla wafers, too - those Nabisco things just taste too blah for me - but I've since found Trader Joe's Nilla Wafers, and those are the real thing!

It's up to you how to layer it. I like to maximize banana surface-to-pudding ratio, so the pudding ends up tasting banana-y, so I use a 9 X 13 baking dish, but layering in a bowl works, too! Cookies, then banana slices, then pudding.

I don't care for meringue on top, that's a matter of personal taste as well. I serve mine with real whipped cream dolloped on top right when it's served, when I use anything at all. If you like the meringue, make a simple meringue with your leftover egg whites, spread it on top of the pudding, and put it under the broiler of your oven for just a couple minutes until it's browned.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:29 PM

716 posts, read 1,907,777 times
Alton Brown does a fantastic episode of Good Eats contrasting the two basic types of banana pudding: baked and refrigerated.

Watch if you get a chance - it's really informative. I've tried the recipes for both, as well as the vanilla wafer recipe (available at the Food Network website) and they are all super yummy!

I also agree with letting the batch "sit" overnight at least. If you can hold out!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,062 times
I like it with rum added.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 AM

820 posts, read 1,530,542 times
Thanks to all for making me hungry!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 9,611 times
The best thing to do is make a banana custard for the base. It is much better than using a vanilla pudding base.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 AM

416 posts, read 807,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monadnock View Post
The best thing to do is make a banana custard for the base. It is much better than using a vanilla pudding base.
Yum. I picked up some Banana curd never seen this before (in the jelly isle) it's tasty on a warm scone.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 PM

373 posts, read 669,536 times
Thank you everyone.
I appreciate everyone's input.
I will try and get to it this weekend.
Keep them coming, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or