Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I posted a request for info about breweries in Charlotte and got a lot of helpful responses so I thought I would do the same about food trucks. They seem to be a hot trend across the country in most major cities. However, some places have been struggling with how to handle where they should be allowed to set up. For example, in the Triangle food trucks can set up in downtown Durham and Carrboro with little restriction, but can not do so in Chapel Hill or Raleigh without special time limited permits. The various city councils are currently working on these issue so this may change in the future, but has proven to be a challenge to new food truck operators.

In the meantime, I was curious if there were a lot of food trucks in Charlotte, what type of food they offer, and whether or not the city is dealing with similar issues concerning where these trucks should be allowed? FWIW, when I say food trucks, I'm not talking about "roach coaches" that pull into construction sites and sell prepackaged sandwiches. I'm talking about trucks that serve stuff like Korean BBQ, Tacos, Lobster Rolls, Sliders, ect...

Thanks!

Photo of recent Food Truck "Showcase" in the Triangle

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 04-06-2011 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 11:04 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,762 times
I see them, scattered in different places down South Blvd every day. Usually they are taco trucks and hoagie trucks. I also see them around South Tryon, way down from Uptown. These are a couple places I have seen them, I'm sure there are others around but this is where I drive usually.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:06 AM

196 posts, read 428,652 times
I have seen one dowtown, but can't think of the name...Horizon something maybe? Any one know what I am talking about- its on either Trade or Tryon...

Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Oodles of food trucks will be at Speed Street May 26th - 28th

Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 AM

Harvest Moon grill- though I haven't bought anything, there are usually people there at lunch.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:29 AM

689 posts, read 1,656,782 times
I read somewhere recently that there were some laws passed that prevented the food trucks in Charlotte. I am not sure what the law was, but it was more aimed at crime but food trucks were prevented from it. I also read that they are working to change that law.

I realize that is some REALLY vague information, but there is a reason that we don't have very many and hopefully it will change.

Harvest Moon is delicious, local and fresh made.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:42 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
There is:

Grateful Growers Farm, LLC || Real Food, Real Farmers.
Holy Matrimony Wings and Pizza | Facebook
Tons of taco trucks up and down South Blvd but I would refer to them as roach coaches, personally.
Reds Barbeque Catering Service

Harvest Moon is the closest to a upscale or different one that I have seen in Charlotte. We don't have any like Nom Nom or Grill Em All round these parts.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,515 times
I haven't seen the Harvest Moon truck since the restaurant opened. When I'm running up 5th street in the morning to get to my office, there are two women opening up a food truck right on the side of the road. I always mean tos top and ask them where they will actually be serving lunch (I don't think I've seen the truck in that same spot at lunchtime0 but I'm always in a rush. But I'm assuming their uptown somewhere. I've stopped at taco trucks on South Blvd. a couple of times.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:00 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,430 times
I may be part of opening a food truck around Charlotte's uptown it will be more upscale fusion food. We shall see what happens.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM

[quote=chuckles34;18612160]I haven't seen the Harvest Moon truck since the restaurant opened. quote]

I needed a reason for some fresh air, so went downstairs to check this out. In the spot where Harvest Moon typically parked was a Red's BBQ trailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte