U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:20 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,731,996 times

Advertisements

Where are the minds of those in charge of the city? Really, the need for rail service is up the I77 corridor where traffic is horrible and the rail is already in place just requiring some updating is the sane choice. Instead, the blue line is going to be completed. The only half safe places it transits is NoDa and the university. Good luck traveling between those two stops at night unless there is plenty of security, especially women. It will not have the paying customers that seriously need an option to driving. It is the traffic that should be the factor along with the polution factor.

It is a really brainless choice as far as I am concerned. It is about as intelligent as putting the law school on Wilkinson Blvd that is being moved uptown., a trolley to JCS from CPCC where buses are abundant, or having the governor to put her useless self and the mayor on a pedistol for bringing ChiQuita Banana to town with with all employees coming from Ohio. When is our next election? Am I alone in my observations? I am pleased to have rail service. I am a huge supporter. I just thing that those in charge don't have the interest of the taxpayer or general good of the city in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 06:26 PM
NDL

3,191 posts, read 3,655,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Where are the minds of those in charge of the city?

(You forgot to mention the planned streetcar to the now defunct Eastland Mall)

Old 10-16-2012, 06:29 PM

186 posts, read 372,997 times
Its all about sources of funding and jurisdiction. Half the money is coming from the Feds, one quarter from NC DOT and one quarter from the city. The city of Charlotte has no reason to spend their $250 million (from the city levied half percent sales tax) on rail that will benefit people who live mainly outside the city limits in the northern LKN towns. The blue line extension however will be entirely within city limits. In addition, federal funding isn't to be had unless you meet certain ridership projections are met, which N Meck doesnt meet. So you can see the motivation. At this point, the LKN towns are skeptical of the funding schemes, Norfolk Southern hasn't agreed to allow the use of the infrastructure they own, and no one had even bothered to talk to them until very recently. Their initial reaction was that commuter rail was incompatible with their freight uses. I do find it very annoying that the North seems to continually get the shaft... incomplete 485, tolls to widen I-77, the only part of town with HOV lanes already with some of the worst traffic around - DOT cant find the $60ish million for I-77, but somehow they have $250 million for this little boondoggle.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:56 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,035,210 times
The plan is a simple one. The city will build 21 miles of light rail (blue line), 25 miles of commuter rail (red line), 16 miles of streetcars (green line), and 14 miles of bus rapid transit (silver line). As I have come to understand it, building the blue line first was always priority #1. As it stands the blue line is not finished. A finished blue line should be about 20 miles long and capable of handling 3-car trains the entire way. What we have now is an incomplete blue line (the cheaper southern segment). The southern segment is so much cheaper because it was built on an old freight corridor. The northern segment will be located mostly on the median of North Tryon. Also, bridges above major North Tryon intersections must be built as well. Can you imagine the type of construction North Tryon will see over the next 4-5 years? Placing light rail down the middle of any street isn't cheap.

As for the red line to LKN, it was never ahead of the blue line on the priority list. Also, it was never projected to handle the number of riders as the blue line either. The red line will be commuter rail, which simply means (in most cases) choice riders. Choice riders are the folks who own cars, but choose to park and ride. The blue line provides transit to many folks who drive and don't drive. The line that will carry the most riders is the blue line; which is why it is being built first. Also, the blue line will cost the county less out-of-pocket money than the other lines because of the blue line's higher ridership (higher ridership helps the blue line qualify for state and federal money that the other line might not qualify for).

IMO, the MTC and CATS should try their best to get rail to LKN asap, but placing the red line ahead of the blue line would go against the original plan. Besides, the current LKN commuter bus (77X) doesn't come close to seeing the crowds that the #11 North Tryon bus sees. Keep in mind that the #11 has a 10 minute headway during peak times and is still often standing room only. Getting all of those diesel powered buses off of North Tryon will save CATS a ton of money in the long run.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 PM
NDL

3,191 posts, read 3,655,475 times
I don't understand the thought behind the planned streetcar, for it will only move as fast as traffic will permit it to. It'd make a lot more sense (and save a lot more money) to expand the Gold Line trolley.

I also don't understand the idea behind a silver bus line. Buses have a negative stigma attached to them, plus I have a hard time believing that a bus line will spur the type of growth that a light rail would. Are there any examples of a major city showing great success with a rapid bus line?

Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 PM

601 posts, read 793,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I don't understand the thought behind the planned streetcar, for it will only move as fast as traffic will permit it to. It'd make a lot more sense (and save a lot more money) to expand the Gold Line trolley.

I also don't understand the idea behind a silver bus line. Buses have a negative stigma attached to them, plus I have a hard time believing that a bus line will spur the type of growth that a light rail would. Are there any examples of a major city showing great success with a rapid bus line?
BRT on Independence would have had it's own right-of-way, making it a possibly cheaper alternative to light rail. However, that plan is pretty much dead in the water, as now the NCDOT has other plans of using the two center lanes of Independence for HOT lanes (or toll lanes), with it also shared with buses. I think within this decade, there will be plans to revise the Silver Line corridor, with light rail hopefully making it's way back into the fold. One idea that could work is running light rail parallel with the CSX railroad that runs near Monroe road. If they follow this rail-line, it will lead the light-rail next to the future Gateway Station, and will also allow for another phase to run out to the airport.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,961,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
. The city of Charlotte has no reason to spend their $250 million (from the city levied half percent sales tax) on rail that will benefit people who live mainly outside the city limits in the northern LKN towns.
The transit tax is a county tax paid by all residents of the county. It's not a Charlotte city tax. It should be noted that the residents of Lake Norman in Mecklenburg voted to pay the transit tax both times when it came up- for a vote.

Under the transit tax plan passed, each of the 6 towns in Mecklenburg has the right to withdraw from the plan and keep the transit tax for their own use. Maybe Huntersville, Davidson & Cornelius should consider this option. The CK Rider, the transit system in Cabarrus (who won't join with CATS) is doing quite well.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,961,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
It's pork residents who support the Mayor and certain council people. It serves no other purpose.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 AM

3,823 posts, read 3,320,728 times
???

I can't even tell if this is sarcasm. The blue line 100% has a much higher priority than the red line and is a slam dunk... The blue line will be the most transformative project ever in our history with also the possibility of spurs and further extensions (South Park, Ballantyne). SouthEnd will be directly tied to University City. It would be pretty awesome to have Ballantyne connected to UC!

No other rail project in CLT will come close to matching the importance of the blue line

Old 10-17-2012, 06:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,637,346 times
They should have saved the mono rail in Carowinds. I think more people would ditch there car if they could ride in this cool monorail planned in Monza a suburb of Milano. --> Monza – Monorotaia sospesa. It schedule to be completed by the time Blue line is finished.
I would love Charlotte to have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or