Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:27 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times

Advertisements

For a nice, but long, ride, would say 321 to Boone, go to Banner Elk, up Beech Mountain and down the back side to Valley Crucis and then return. Of course I am a bit partial to that route.

Also include a stop at the Beech Mountain reservoir. All the polar bear types can jump in if they dare. FYI its cold in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
If you are looking for a nice day trip I recommend, at least once, driving to the top of Mt. Mitchell and while you are up that way have a picnic at the Craggy Gardens.

It might already be too cold up there to make this trip but maybe this weekend is good.

Another place that is an easy trip is Linville Falls.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:37 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
After you go, let us know what you ended up doing! Hope you have a great time
Thanks LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
For a nice, but long, ride, would say 321 to Boone, go to Banner Elk, up Beech Mountain and down the back side to Valley Crucis and then return. Of course I am a bit partial to that route.
Never been to Valley Crucis...thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If you are looking for a nice day trip I recommend, at least once, driving to the top of Mt. Mitchell and while you are up that way have a picnic at the Craggy Gardens.

It might already be too cold up there to make this trip but maybe this weekend is good.

Another place that is an easy trip is Linville Falls.
Thanks Frew ! Is there any hiking to the top of Mt Mitchell, or is can I truly drive to the top?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thanks LM

Never been to Valley Crucis...thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks Frew ! Is there any hiking to the top of Mt Mitchell, or is can I truly drive to the top?
There are wonderful trails all over Mt. Mitchell, but you can drive straight to the top, and you should! The new observation tower makes it worth the trip

Mt. Mitchell North Carolina Visitor Guide

In addition, you can grab a meal there in their restaurant and continue to enjoy the view. The food is usually pretty good - beef stews, that kind of thing. FYI, the restaurant ususally closes at the end of the last weekend in October.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
South Mountains Park, and Wilson Creek, are good compromise hikes (75 to 90 minute drives) if you find yourself or family taking a bit too long to get out of the house, and don't want to squeeze in a day trip to go all the way deep into the Appalachains. These are just a little west of Morganton.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
As everyone mentions, the Mt. Mitchell area is great. I would definately visit Linville Caverns.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
We are heading out later today to see some colors! Not sure of our route yet, we'll either do just over the Virginia line & the Blue Ridge Parkway, or 74 & Asheville. See which way the car points once we start. Go West, young man! And other young man, and older woman, and even older man, and big black dog!

Picnic lunch, beautiful weather, & we're stopping for apples & cider somewhere along the way! This earlier thread was a help with that.

I'll post some pics after we're back! Even though I have just a bad phone camera, I bet the beauty will come through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte