U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 PM

7 posts, read 12,468 times

Advertisements

Hi there, we recently moved to Charlotte area (3 days ago). At this moment, we are living in an extended stay hotel until we find our next house. Husband got a promotion and we needed it to move within 10 days from Tampa, Fl. We are very happy since we longed to move to NC for a long long time. We are familiar with Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill but not much with Charlotte area, so we will need a little notch from you guys to see where we can start to look for what it will be the area where we will move to. This is what we would like to find:
-First and most important, a safe and nice place to live because we have a little one (2 years old)
-Semi-rural area, (acreage a plus) no cookie cutters homes, no gated deed restricted communities, no master planned communities.
-Schools are not a concern.
-No further than 45 minutes commute from husband's job location (between N Tryon and W Harris Blvd). Any direction really.
-Mature Trees, houses with character
-I do not fall for any strip mall or chain restaurants close by and the further I am, the better. However I would like to find a city 30-45 minutes for some errands, shopping and eatering (post office,groceries, independent restaurant or so)
-Close (hopefully walking distance) to a natural park, creek or river

Hopefully you guys can help us out so we can narrow our search. Thank you so very much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 08:35 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,166,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexiperez View Post
Hi there, we recently moved to Charlotte area (3 days ago). At this moment, we are living in an extended stay hotel until we find our next house. Husband got a promotion and we needed it to move within 10 days from Tampa, Fl. We are very happy since we longed to move to NC for a long long time. We are familiar with Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill but not much with Charlotte area, so we will need a little notch from you guys to see where we can start to look for what it will be the area where we will move to. This is what we would like to find:
-First and most important, a safe and nice place to live because we have a little one (2 years old)
-Semi-rural area, (acreage a plus) no cookie cutters homes, no gated deed restricted communities, no master planned communities.
-Schools are not a concern.
-No further than 45 minutes commute from husband's job location (between N Tryon and W Harris Blvd). Any direction really.
-Mature Trees, houses with character
-I do not fall for any strip mall or chain restaurants close by and the further I am, the better. However I would like to find a city 30-45 minutes for some errands, shopping and eatering (post office,groceries, independent restaurant or so)
-Close (hopefully walking distance) to a natural park, creek or river

Hopefully you guys can help us out so we can narrow our search. Thank you so very much!!!!
Price range?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 AM

I will be renting for now

Old 10-17-2012, 11:29 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,931,581 times
I recommend Mt. Holly.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:06 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,699,239 times
Highland Park area. It is about a 20 minute drive from your husbands work place. It is a nice area with yards of various size and very close to Concord Mills and many ammenities. It is worth a check out.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 PM

445 posts, read 1,020,043 times
Harrisburg or Concord area might fit the bill. Possibly the Mint Hill area near the county line.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 PM

9 posts, read 11,898 times
You posted exactly what we were looking for when we moved here from Tampa (-:
Some towns to consider that we liked:
Stanley, Belmont, Troutman are all nice.
We eventually settled on Mt Pleasant in Cabarrus Co. Rural community but very active with a large 4th of July parade and Christmas parade(and activities). We are a straight shot down 49 and it takes me 30-40 minutes to get to uptown. Rolling hills and only one subdivision. Most homes are in a country setting.
It's beautiful here. It may be hard to find a rental though...there are only 1500 residents and there isn't much for sale, so I'm assuming not much for rentals as well.
Good luck!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:58 PM

9 posts, read 11,898 times
Wanted to add...we have a couple of locally owned restaurants in town, but we go to Harrisburg or Concord for our shopping(approx. 20 minutes).

Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 PM

6,269 posts, read 9,974,521 times
Midland or Locust.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM

Oh thanks so very much guys for all your help, is helping us to narrow our search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte