U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 07:47 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,290,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
Eh, well I would rather go 2 hours to Charlotte than an hour and 15 minutes (ish) to Greenville, especially since I shop at Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom more than Belk and Macy's. Greenville's new Sephora is very, very nice, however. It's definitely my favorite Sephora, but the one at SouthPark has just as much even though it is a lot smaller. Haywood's J. Crew is very large, but unfortunately is a lot of empty space.

I wouldn't even compare Haywood to SouthPark. Northlake is a lot like Haywood, but neither are like SouthPark at all IMO. SouthPark is my favorite mall and the third most upscale mall in the South, but only since people somehow usually forget about Florida being in the south, while Haywood is just a nice mall in a mid-size city. It's nice, but nothing special, but for Greenville's size I shouldn't expect more. Well, hopefully one day in the near future I will be living in Charlotte and make SouthPark my nearest and "go-to" mall, and live the city life I have always dreamed about, even though Charlotte's not so big, which definitely isn't a bad thing. Anymore, traffic is much worse in Asheville than Charlotte, except the construction area near Concord which ALWAYS seems to have tons of traffic.

Also, I said that the weaker malls would die off, I didn't specifically mention Northlake then. I was talking in general. I think Concord Mills being NC's largest tourist attraction has more with their shoppers doing the wrong thing than than Concord Mills doing something right. I hate that mall. I think I would rather go to the horrible Asheville Mall than CM.

Northlake didn't impress me, though. I think that I like Haywood better than Northlake. I don't see it dying, but I see it losing the slight "upscaleness" it had from having stores like Anthropologie, Pottery Barn, L'OCCITANE, etc. because frankly I didn't see many people in those stores when I went this summer (on a Saturday) and the only reason I went was because Southpark was closed, and I'm pretty sure that there were still more people there with only the department stores and restuarants open than the entire mall at Northlake.
I'm not sure exactly how much you've experienced in Charlotte, but in traffic comparison to Asheville, Charlotte obviously has worse traffic considering Charlotte has about 1,345,366 more people than Asheville... traffic was no way relevant to the mall discussion anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 08:45 PM

341 posts, read 658,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
I'm not sure exactly how much you've experienced in Charlotte, but in traffic comparison to Asheville, Charlotte obviously has worse traffic considering Charlotte has about 1,345,366 more people than Asheville... traffic was no way relevant to the mall discussion anyways.
Since it is off topic I will make this quick. Asheville most certainly has worse traffic than Charlotte. The amount of people in Charlotte v. Asheville is irrelevant. Charlotte has many roads and large interstates with 4 or 5 lanes. All of the interstates here only have 2 lanes and whenever there is a wreck (which is often) the interstate just backs up for 5+ miles while in Charlotte they can just move over to the left/right 2-3 lanes and keep going. There was a wreck once in Charlotte when I was there and that was what happened, too. Also, there are a bunch of hills and mountains here that prevent growth as well as roads so we don't have too many large roads here. So, I do think with the exception of all the construction near Concord that the traffic is much better in Charlotte than here, and when I bring it up with someone who lives in Asheville they agree as well. However, since I haven't experienced Charlotte every day I can't say completely. I do admit I would hate to see the weekly morning rush, but it wasn't too bad around 5 on Monday, so IDK.

I wonder what stores will open in each mall. I don't really see how there's enough stores to fill both malls. Unless Charlotte gets the designer outlets like Prada, Gucci, Dior, etc. like in places like Sawgrass Mills, Orlando Premium Outlets, etc. (which I doubt) then they will probably just be copies of each other. I doubt Saks would want to open at both malls, and they would probably open at Tanger since it is farther away from Concord. Maybe Bloomingdale's and Neiman's would open at the Premium Outlets and Saks at the Tanger center. I don't like outlets very much, and I do think better deals can most certainly be found at a regular mall, I have found that I generally like the Premium Outlets more than Tanger centers. I probably won't go to either unless someone else wants too since I wouldn't care enough to go to Tanger and Premium Outlets are farther coming from the west of Charlotte. We'll see, though. If Premium Outlets gets the right stores I might go, however. I just wish the locations were reversed.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:50 AM

1,356 posts, read 2,290,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
Since it is off topic I will make this quick. Asheville most certainly has worse traffic than Charlotte. The amount of people in Charlotte v. Asheville is irrelevant. Charlotte has many roads and large interstates with 4 or 5 lanes. All of the interstates here only have 2 lanes and whenever there is a wreck (which is often) the interstate just backs up for 5+ miles while in Charlotte they can just move over to the left/right 2-3 lanes and keep going. There was a wreck once in Charlotte when I was there and that was what happened, too. Also, there are a bunch of hills and mountains here that prevent growth as well as roads so we don't have too many large roads here. So, I do think with the exception of all the construction near Concord that the traffic is much better in Charlotte than here, and when I bring it up with someone who lives in Asheville they agree as well. However, since I haven't experienced Charlotte every day I can't say completely. I do admit I would hate to see the weekly morning rush, but it wasn't too bad around 5 on Monday, so IDK.

I wonder what stores will open in each mall. I don't really see how there's enough stores to fill both malls. Unless Charlotte gets the designer outlets like Prada, Gucci, Dior, etc. like in places like Sawgrass Mills, Orlando Premium Outlets, etc. (which I doubt) then they will probably just be copies of each other. I doubt Saks would want to open at both malls, and they would probably open at Tanger since it is farther away from Concord. Maybe Bloomingdale's and Neiman's would open at the Premium Outlets and Saks at the Tanger center. I don't like outlets very much, and I do think better deals can most certainly be found at a regular mall, I have found that I generally like the Premium Outlets more than Tanger centers. I probably won't go to either unless someone else wants too since I wouldn't care enough to go to Tanger and Premium Outlets are farther coming from the west of Charlotte. We'll see, though. If Premium Outlets gets the right stores I might go, however. I just wish the locations were reversed.
Having stayed in Asheville for just over a year, now living in Charlotte, I know Charlotte traffic is worse than Asheville. Asheville's highways aren't all two lanes either. Charlotte's highways are up to par with the population, which is not irrelevant. That doesn't mean less traffic congestion.

I highly doubt that both outlets will have copy stores of Concord Mills or one another. Since Prada, Gucci, Dior do not have North Carolina locations, those stores are most definitely in discussion, as well as Bloomingdale's. Regardless of which mall has what stores, I don't think any will hurt one another in business.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
"""Happy Dance""" This one is 9 miles from my house. YIPPEE!!!
Its about half the distance from our house. Not really doing the "happy dance" myself as I can see this clogging up the area with traffic, which I can do without.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:49 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,705,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Its about half the distance from our house. Not really doing the "happy dance" myself as I can see this clogging up the area with traffic, which I can do without.
The amount of traffic shouldn't be any more than what would be generated if the property was developed as allowed by current rezoning. However, the developers will be putting in over $6,000,000 in road improvements, including adding a second left turn lane off the northbound exit off I-485, adding traffic signals at both I-485 ramps on Steele Creek Road, widening Dixie River Road to four lanes, and extending Berewick Commons Parkway. Also, most traffic to the mall won't generally be during weekday rush hour when congestion most commonly occurs along Steele Creek Road.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:52 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,110,264 times
Default Well, that was quick!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...85-outlet.html

Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,854,035 times
If they scrap one I would prefer it be the Steele Creek location. There's a major lack of retail and development along the Eastside of 485. Combined with the fact that Union County is the fastest growing in the state, I think that location would be more successful.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,453,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
If they scrap one I would prefer it be the Steele Creek location. There's a major lack of retail and development along the Eastside of 485. Combined with the fact that Union County is the fastest growing in the state, I think that location would be more successful.
I understand your logic, but when you consider the location of Concord Mills (north-east), wouldn't a south-west location make more sense?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:01 AM

924 posts, read 1,855,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I can deal with a little inconvenience of traffic rather than having to drive 30 to 60 minutes to shop. I won't have to deal with I485 to go there.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,062 times
I-485 Eastside doesn't have much development by design. It's suppose to be a transit corridor, not a development corridor. They zoned it that way as to not reproduce the problems currently experienced on the first part of I-485 where over development overwhelmed the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or