U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 9,108 times

Advertisements

Why are there *so many people from the North here in Charlotte? Other than the reasons explained to me on The Charlotte John Blog...which made me laugh.

Last edited by MrThomasP; 10-19-2012 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: correction
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,906,978 times
Lots of people have moved here due to jobs along with a lower cost of living. However the droves that have moved here have made competition for full and part-time jobs more fierce.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Lots of people have moved here due to jobs along with a lower cost of living. However the droves that have moved here have made competition for full and part-time jobs more fierce.
Then why do so many of them knock the city? I mean, if you don't like Charlotte then why not move back to the North? If it is because of jobs, then perhaps you should be more grateful for the region that actually provides job instead of bragging about a city that was booming decades ago.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,906,978 times
Agreed- I work with a lot of transplants that have moved here that do complain about how theres nothing to do here and how things are much higher here than they thought. They also complain about the crime as well. But I also think that because the area affords them the luxury of owning a home, that trumps most of their complaints.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:10 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,627,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrThomasP View Post
Why are there *so many people from the North here in Charlotte? Other than the reasons explained to me on The Charlotte John Blog...which made me laugh.
Its no different than asking why do so many retirees move to Arizona or Florida or certain places...

There are many attractive things about Charlotte and the vicinity.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 AM

5,779 posts, read 8,400,161 times
Generalizations and prejudice work both ways... it's never a good idea to speak as if stereotypes are the only reality. This "Northerner" and the ones I know here love Charlotte.

Don't believe every internet tough guy.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,703,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Agreed- I work with a lot of transplants that have moved here that do complain about how theres nothing to do here and how things are much higher here than they thought. They also complain about the crime as well. But I also think that because the area affords them the luxury of owning a home, that trumps most of their complaints.
To be honest, anyone that says "there's nothing to do" is a moron. Why would anyone say that? What isn't there to do according to them? Do these people ever go out and look for things to do? Mind blowing how ignorant peole can be. Fortunately, I haven't heard anyone say this. I guess the more intelligent people are, the more they can appreciate what is available. Boy, we really get some winners don't we?

Old 10-19-2012, 10:20 AM

52 posts, read 121,362 times
We get tired of the Northeast winter, but still want some seasons !!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:25 AM

Yea, perhaps I'm hanging around the wrong crowd. I think Charlotte is awesome. The addition of baseball in Uptown is going to be really cool. There is a lot of stuff out there for people to do in Charlotte. I started reading blogs long ago...in the Observe, etc...to figure out what's going on. I think the people here have personality and are nice. The Charlotte John blogger is pretty hilarious and lives in Uptown, so for us city dwellers it proves there's lots to do without having to drive. [url=http://www.thecharlottejohn.com]The Charlotte John - Charlotte John Blog[/url]

Old 10-19-2012, 10:57 AM

11,712 posts, read 9,324,455 times
Are you john blogger? lol...

anyways, most people who complain about Charlotte were probably transferred here or followed someone else here.
Every person I know who moved here loves it... and when I meet someone who doesn't like it, more times than not, they tend to not like a lot of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or