U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2012, 02:33 PM
 
1,547 posts, read 2,169,269 times
Reputation: 1400

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've known people who died before their disability came through. I've known people who died less than 6 months after getting disability. Do you understand that disability also covers the graduates of special ed programs Are there a few gold-brickers in there? Yes. But overall your comment is ill-informed.
The 2 examples you give and the phrase a few gold-brickers = 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,940,327 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
...Are there a few gold-brickers in there? Yes. But overall your comment is ill-informed.
A few? There was one month this year where 85,000 people when on disability. More disability than jobs created that month. I'd say few is an understatement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 04:55 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8923
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
A few? There was one month this year where 85,000 people when on disability. More disability than jobs created that month. I'd say few is an understatement.
I've known a good number of legitimately disabled people. I know of one gold-bricker. Keep in mind that there is short-term disability, which includes pregnant women & those who are on maternity leave, & there's long-term disability. They are very different, but the number of gold-brickers is actually pretty small when it comes to long-term disability.

I'd say that taking pot-shots at disability is ill-advised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Concord, NC
247 posts, read 324,865 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've known a good number of legitimately disabled people. I know of one gold-bricker. Keep in mind that there is short-term disability, which includes pregnant women & those who are on maternity leave, & there's long-term disability. They are very different, but the number of gold-brickers is actually pretty small when it comes to long-term disability.

I'd say that taking pot-shots at disability is ill-advised.
Ok lets leave out legitimate disability. I would be more than happy to focus on the able bodied people on the dole who could be filling jobs.

Fair enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie4417 View Post
Ok lets leave out legitimate disability. I would be more than happy to focus on the able bodied people on the dole who could be filling jobs.

Fair enough?
Disability is not counted in unemployment numbers. They are different & they are funded by different pots. Whether someone is collecting disability rightly or wrongly, they are not in the unemployment numbers. It had no business being brought up.

There are people who are looking but are being rejected because of age. Some of those job openings could be filled by older people who the employers are rejecting. Figure out a way to solve that problem.

Employers are refusing to hire people who are long-term unemployed. Solve that one, too.

Solve those 2 problems & there will be fewer unemployed & fewer unfilled jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Concord, NC
247 posts, read 324,865 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Disability is not counted in unemployment numbers. They are different & they are funded by different pots. Whether someone is collecting disability rightly or wrongly, they are not in the unemployment numbers. It had no business being brought up.

There are people who are looking but are being rejected because of age. Some of those job openings could be filled by older people who the employers are rejecting. Figure out a way to solve that problem.

Employers are refusing to hire people who are long-term unemployed. Solve that one, too.

Solve those 2 problems & there will be fewer unemployed & fewer unfilled jobs.
I am aware that disabiity claims are not associated with umemployment claims, I was trying to get the discussion away from a fight about disabilities, and back to how to fill jobs.

I am not qualified to solve the unemployment issue. I wish more older workers could find positions, but I don't hire people, and we can't force employers to hire older people. One of the downsides is health benefits, because older workers who aren't eigible for Medicare would cost more to insure. Hard to get past that issue.

Long term unemployment is an issue as well. Again, not sure what to do to solve it, but if I were in that position (luckily I never have been) I would take any job I could. I would also make sure my skills were up to date, or if they weren't I would try to find free classes to learn new skills (computers, etc). The library has computers for this use and they also offer asistance with resumes, etc.

What are your solutions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Durham UK
2,031 posts, read 4,685,397 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
In addition, I have found that many of the jobs advertised as "open" are actually not open at all. They are required to post the jobs so even though the manager doing the hiring knows full well he/she is going to hire from within (wh/ is only right to give someone a chance to move laterally or upward in the organization where they work) . . . the job has to be listed.

Also, over 30 some years of watching such things, I have also seen phishing type ads . . . only they are fishing for resumes of qualified folks to archive for particular jobs w/ specific skills.

I have also noticed that often, the jobs are not really "there" when you start doing some digging . . . so what looks to be like an opportunity on Indeed or some other board - has already been filled, withdrawn (or never actually existed to start with).

There are many reasons why it appears there are more jobs out there than are truly available.
Interesting one. I had sort of heard of this sort of thing but actually fell victim to it 2 weeks ago.
I had seen a position advertised on simply hired and it was through what I thought was a recruitment agency, which seemed fair enough as it was in Columbia SC and a specialised nursing coordinator position that required very particular skills and experience according to the job description, which was very comprehensive.
I searched google for hospitals around Columbia (the hospital name wasn't specified in the ad) and looked at their job sites and couldn't find the position, so I was a little wary, but not knowing how agencies work, eventuallcided to apply.
I am looking/trying hard to get a job, hence looking out of state which means being separated from my family, so spent soe time re-vamping my resume etc and applied.

Over the next 5 days I got around 6 spam emails from "recruitment" companies-saying they'd seen my resume posted online and would be in touch by phone within 24 hrs or 1 hr etc, or I could call them sooner. I didn't call-obviously, and surprise surprise, neither did they.

This is the first time it's happened to me -should've trusted my instincts.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to get RN jobs here now. Lots advertised in the big systems.
Maybe it's my age (do the recruiters get that info?),or that I've practised in the UK only, or maybe I have more experience than the managers? Who knows, but I've applied for positions everywhere and not even getting interviews really. I don't feel that they value good experience,qualifications or caring!
Wish I could drive a truck for $55,000 - I have a clean license and no drug history! That's more than my DH gets paid and he has a Masters and Bachelors and experience in 2 different professions over 20 yrs.

I have to say- I do see a fair amount of apathy amongst young people here. Still at home, or still at college at 30, complaining about their work hours or their commute or whatever at 23.
Jeez, at 22 I'd been working rotating shifts 40 hrs per week as a student nurse for 3 years and earning peanuts. I think mayabe there are a lot of young people who want the perfect job without having to do anything to get it.
I don't think it's just young people here either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Durham UK
2,031 posts, read 4,685,397 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
China is a paper tiger. They need all those engineers just to get into the 21st century. Randomly drop yourself somewhere in China, and walk to the nearest village. There probably aren't sidewarlks, paved road or even electricity or running water and sewerage.

Do that in America... walk to the nearest town. no matter how small and rural it is it will have ALL of those things. China is mired in poverty, that's why they work so cheap.
Mmm- think maybe a lot of the engineers are coming here on intercompany transfer visas actually
And don't kid yourself about China getting into the 21st century.
They will wop Americas' (and Europes) ass in almost anything if they set their minds to it.
There are many villages in France, Germany etc that don't have sidewalks. Not sure that's a measure of much at all, except maybe the amount of vehicular traffic that's going through them.
I also think that thye work for less because it's a matter of pride to have a job and for many, not to have a job is unheard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Durham UK
2,031 posts, read 4,685,397 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I think it has more to do with ones willingness to retrain himself, don't expect "big brother" to do it for you.
Unfortunately once manufacturing has been moved abroad, our economy has been changing into service jobs (Walmart, McDonalds, etc) for which no college jobs are required.

And the ones that require a degree are deemed as too hard: engineering, trade schools, etc.
Hence people going into nursing- it's an Associates degree and wages are very decent and progression up the ladder quite rapid.
When they actually get into the course they realise they can't do it- can't stand the "menial" often, unpleasant aspects, or the shifts, or the patients etc.I think they have a course drop out rate of around 50% for nursing and then a decent percentage don't practice for very long after they qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie4417 View Post
I am aware that disabiity claims are not associated with umemployment claims, I was trying to get the discussion away from a fight about disabilities, and back to how to fill jobs.

I am not qualified to solve the unemployment issue. I wish more older workers could find positions, but I don't hire people, and we can't force employers to hire older people. One of the downsides is health benefits, because older workers who aren't eigible for Medicare would cost more to insure. Hard to get past that issue.

Long term unemployment is an issue as well. Again, not sure what to do to solve it, but if I were in that position (luckily I never have been) I would take any job I could. I would also make sure my skills were up to date, or if they weren't I would try to find free classes to learn new skills (computers, etc). The library has computers for this use and they also offer asistance with resumes, etc.

What are your solutions?
the older worker problem is coming from a Supreme Court ruling that makes it next to impossible to sue for age discrimination. Companies are now asking questions that they did not dare ask for years. The only fix that I can think of is to be aware of the results to the nominees to the Supreme Court when voting this year. 4 justices are over 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top