U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,170,277 times

Advertisements

Do we to assume that these 47,447 people are just slackers who don't want to find jobs? Live of unemployment benefits ? Or lack of tools to find/get jobs? Under qualified?

Why?

It is easier to collect an entitlement, like Welfare, than it is to go to work!
It's all about "Money in the Bible" and you can get a free cellphone too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 06:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,489,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post

Looks like its a tend across the state, I haven't seen full list but for what was in the article
Gaston saw increase while neighboring counties to Mecklenburg all went down too. Union County looking really good.

Cabarrus: 8.1 percent, down 1.6 percentage points from October 2011.
Gaston: 11.4 percent, up 0.2 points.
Iredell: 9.2 percent, down 1.7 points.
Union: 7.4 percent, down 1.8 points.
Wake: 6.8 percent, down 1.4 points.
Highest statewide: Scotland County, 15.7 percent, down 2 points.
Lowest statewide: Currituck County, 5.5 percent, down 0.4 points.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:01 AM

669 posts, read 803,488 times
Access and mobility is an issue. Many of these jobs are low skill, low paying. Many don't pay enough for people to own a car ... Average annual cost is 6k ...and jobs aren't located near public transportation. This said, the Charlotte area is doing a much better job of encouraging growth in places servicable to people with and without access to single occupancy vehicles.

For clarification....Charlotte is doing a better job of linking land use and transportation. It doesn't mean that someone is going to make 4 transfers on buses in the rain and snow to travel 4 hours roundtrip to take a job at one of Art Pope's retail sweatshops.

Last edited by urbanmyth; 12-22-2012 at 07:54 AM..

Old 12-22-2012, 07:38 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,944 times
A huge percentage are those that are disillusioned into thinking that since they have been union employees in their former state, someone will grab them immediately. When will they ever learn? We have over 30,000 people move to the area annually. We are the fastest growing large city in the U.S. Why wouldn't one think that our unemployment rate wouldn't be high with so many moving here witout good resumes, experience, ambition, goals, etc. There are also those that have become very comfortable with an unemployment check that has been so generously wasted on them for extended periods. And, a percentage consist of those that were unfortunate enought to be laid off through no fault of their own or even a returning G.I. looking for work. Truth is, I see 'help wanted' signs all over the place. And, as urbanmyth said above, there is ample transportation for those that have the highest unemployment rates. It requires getting off ones ass and looking and that is hard for many, and I know a few in that category.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
A huge percentage are those that are disillusioned into thinking that since they have been union employees in their former state, someone will grab them immediately. When will they ever learn? We have over 30,000 people move to the area annually. We are the fastest growing large city in the U.S. Why wouldn't one think that our unemployment rate wouldn't be high with so many moving here witout good resumes, experience, ambition, goals, etc. There are also those that have become very comfortable with an unemployment check that has been so generously wasted on them for extended periods. And, a percentage consist of those that were unfortunate enought to be laid off through no fault of their own or even a returning G.I. looking for work. Truth is, I see 'help wanted' signs all over the place. And, as urbanmyth said above, there is ample transportation for those that have the highest unemployment rates. It requires getting off ones ass and looking and that is hard for many, and I know a few in that category.
Seriously? Bashing unions? Four union school workers gave their lives to save small children. Give the union bashing a rest, will you?

Also, i didn't say anything about there being ample transportation for people... I said, Charlotte is doing a better job of linking land use and transportation. It still doesn't mean that someone is going to make 4 transfers on buses in the rain and snow to travel 4 hours roundtrip to take a job at one of Art Pope's retail sweatshops.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:17 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Seriously? Bashing unions? Four union school workers gave their lives to save small children. Give the union bashing a rest, will you?

Also, i didn't say anything about there being ample transportation for people... I said, Charlotte is doing a better job of linking land use and transportation. It still doesn't mean that someone is going to make 4 transfers on buses in the rain and snow to travel 4 hours roundtrip to take a job at one of Art Pope's retail sweatshops.
Seriously, associating teacher's union membership to saving the lives of small children? Are you serious? Do you actually think that those that gave their lives wouldn't have done so if they hadn't been union members? And, how do you even know they were members? Not very logical or even applicable. I used to teach and I wasn' t a union member. I would have tried to save the children even as a non-union member.

I made the comment implied that transportation was available to the areas where most unemployment receipients reside. And there are "Retail sweatshops?" LOL!!

We don't need unions around here. We are happy and workers are paid competitively and are treaded humanely, ie. no child labor, no intended unsafe working conditions, no slave labor, etc. We non-unionists tend to be more focused on fair pay and benefits for quality productivity instead of high pay for minimal productivity which is why we outsource. To many, working a full day at minimum wage is a "sweatshop" activity. Some people need minimum wage jobs and are happy to have them.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Seriously, associating teacher's union membership to saving the lives of small children? Are you serious? Do you actually think that those that gave their lives wouldn't have done so if they hadn't been union members? And, how do you even know they were members? Not very logical or even applicable. I used to teach and I wasn' t a union member. I would have tried to save the children even as a non-union member.
Belittling the valor of the teachers who are derided for being "unionists"? Stunning.

Apparently you've never had to work in one of Art Pope's "stores"....

We don't need unions around here? See I thought unions were responsible for chasing jobs away...and here I thought manufacturing jobs disappeared because of unions. Couldn't possibly be because of the greed of corporate bosses. Nah.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Do we to assume that these 47,447 people are just slackers who don't want to find jobs? Live of unemployment benefits ? Or lack of tools to find/get jobs? Under qualified?

Why?

Another Kool-Aid drinking without a grasp of the facts.

Unemployment isn't an entitlement...it's called "unemployment insurance" because we fund it when we are working. Free cellphones -- thanks W.!

Old 12-22-2012, 12:54 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,641,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post

Why?

I'm not sure if you are broadly defining welfare in order to stay on topic or if you're steering the conversation to one about welfare regardless of employment but if the former being unemployed does not get you a free cell phone.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:57 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,641,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Belittling the valor of the teachers who are derided for being "unionists"? Stunning.
He didn't belittle anyone. Your original statement was irrelevant. Bringing the tragedy into this thread can only be self-serving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or