U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM

520 posts, read 773,033 times

Advertisements

the county has total of 489,406 labor force out of which 47,447 are unemployed resulting in 9.7% unemployment.

A quick search on indeed or simply hired or monster and a few job sites we get an average figure of roughly 7000 to 7500 full time jobs in open unfilled state. (moving average of 30 days, around 50 miles radius of Charlotte city).

Quick look also shows these jobs are semi skilled to highly skilles jobs.

Other than this roughly 4500 jobs (moving average of 30 days, around 50 miles radius of Charlotte city) which are part time. these don't require special skills or higher skills.

So why in the world is unemployment not dropping to 6 or 7%?

Do we to assume that these 47,447 people are just slackers who don't want to find jobs? Live of unemployment benefits ? Or lack of tools to find/get jobs? Under qualified?

A quick look at the unemployment rate in the county reveals that starting 2001, the county has just maintained an "average of 5%" and above unemployment rate. (barring a brief period in 2005.). So it is not just the bad economy, but lack of skills , motivation and in general lethargy for well being are contributing to this mess.
Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 01:47 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,035,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
Do we to assume that these 47,447 people are just slackers who don't want to find jobs? Live of unemployment benefits ? Or lack of tools to find/get jobs? Under qualified?
How about all of the above. How many of us are qualified to work at a bank? For those who are qualified to be a banker, how many of them can jump into nursing when the bank lets them go? What about the lawyers who can't find work? Can they jump right into construction or diesel technician work? Probably not.

In my line of work, the typical pay is $50-$65k, no college education required, and we're always hiring. However, very few folks who earn their living in a suit are qualified to haul haz-mat chemicals around Charlotte. The alcohol/drug testing and clean driving record requirements alone excludes about 80% of your typical young professional. The fact that you must be at least 25 years of age (with most companies) excludes another 15% of the young professionals. Then there is the requirement of having at least 2 years of verifiable CDL over-the-road experience before you can even apply for this home-daily driving job. As a result, there's probably less than 1,000 people in metro Charlotte who is actually qualified to do what I do. The majority of the "newbies" I see in my field came into Charlotte from elsewhere (because Charlotte itself lacks the qualified people to fill these jobs). I myself was not trained in Charlotte to do what I do either.

Now, multiply this same scenario by about 100,000 different industries. This would explain why folks continue to move in, while at the same time, many folks can't find work. For me personally, finding work in Charlotte has never been an issue. According to the numbers, 90% or so of this city is just like me (so I'm not alone).

Old 10-19-2012, 01:54 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,460,224 times
I don't pretend to know much on this subject, I just have an observation. When I was looking at jobs on Indeed.com (and other sites) often times the same position would be listed multiple times. I assume that this is because the positions are advertised on multiple locations and since Indeed is an aggregator it's listing that job every time it comes across it. I don't know if that skews the numbers or if they have a means of circumventing that in the totals that you posted.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 PM

2,109 posts, read 3,592,271 times
Quote:
ManpowerGroup today released the results of its seventh-annual Talent Shortage Survey, revealing 49 percent of U.S. employers are experiencing difficulty filling mission-critical positions within their organizations. Although slightly lower than the 52 percent of employers struggling in 2011, a significant percentage of total U.S. employers continue to face hiring challenges despite continued high unemployment. U.S. employers are struggling to find available talent more than their global counterparts, where 34 percent of employers worldwide are having difficulty filling positions....

In the United States, the top 10 hardest jobs to fill in 2012 include:
1. Skilled Trades
2. Engineers
3. IT Staff
4. Sales Representatives
5. Accounting & Finance Staff
6. Drivers
7. Mechanics
8. Nurses
9. Machinists/Machine Operators
10. Teachers
ManpowerGroup Annual Survey Reveals U.S. Talent Shortages Persist in Skilled Trades, Engineers and IT Staff | Manpower U.S. Pressroom

Most of my customers (manufacturing) are complaining of lack of reliable people to hire. It is not even a question of skill for some of the jobs, but to find at least someone who is trainable (wiling and capable to learn) and who shows up in time...and who passes drug tests and whose criminal record is not 5 page long.

On top of that, there is a huge need of machinists and people with technical skills (CNC operators, welders, engineers, fabricators, etc).

Even office manager jobs for which there are plenty of candidates go unfulfilled. Skills here are secondary to a pleasant personality since it is very difficult to find a person who will not frown on customers when things don't go well.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,961,041 times
^There are several reasons for the above but I'd say the primary one is that in a number of those bullets, there is heavy age discrimination for new hires and given that most of the USA workforce skilled in some of those trades has either been laid off or retired, there is no one around to teach these skills to the next generation. In effect the corporate managers and bean counters cut off their own supply chain of labor and it's going to be tough to ever get it back.

Add to that a Dept of Education which is has turned public education into one of taking tests instead of one that teaches practical skills, and there simply isn't a supply of new skilled trades, experienced engineers, etc. being produced. Engineering in fact is a a very tough degree to get and once you have it, chances are not good that you can find a job so people don't place importance on this now and instead go after paper pushing education.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:47 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
In addition, I have found that many of the jobs advertised as "open" are actually not open at all. They are required to post the jobs so even though the manager doing the hiring knows full well he/she is going to hire from within (wh/ is only right to give someone a chance to move laterally or upward in the organization where they work) . . . the job has to be listed.

Also, over 30 some years of watching such things, I have also seen phishing type ads . . . only they are fishing for resumes of qualified folks to archive for particular jobs w/ specific skills.

I have also noticed that often, the jobs are not really "there" when you start doing some digging . . . so what looks to be like an opportunity on Indeed or some other board - has already been filled, withdrawn (or never actually existed to start with).

There are many reasons why it appears there are more jobs out there than are truly available.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Meanwhile, China is graduating 2 million engineers/year. (what the USA used to do 50 years ago) They will own us soon. Might as well get ready for it.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:44 PM

2,109 posts, read 3,592,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Meanwhile, China is graduating 2 million engineers/year. (what the USA used to do 50 years ago) They will own us soon. Might as well get ready for it.
Sad but true...
Our engineers are not appreciated so smart kids have been staying away from engineering.

When you pay a doctor/lawyer up to 10 times more than an engineer, just ask yourself which of the 3 is more likely to ensure the progress of the society???

Old 10-21-2012, 07:49 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,017,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
China is a paper tiger. They need all those engineers just to get into the 21st century. Randomly drop yourself somewhere in China, and walk to the nearest village. There probably aren't sidewarlks, paved road or even electricity or running water and sewerage.

Do that in America... walk to the nearest town. no matter how small and rural it is it will have ALL of those things. China is mired in poverty, that's why they work so cheap.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
China is a paper tiger. They need all those engineers just to get into the 21st century. Randomly drop yourself somewhere in China, and walk to the nearest village. There probably aren't sidewarlks, paved road or even electricity or running water and sewerage.
There are homeless people living right here in the Carolinas under those conditions. See the video below where former computer scientists are left with living in the woods.

Being a retired engineer myself, and watching the almost complete dismantling of American industry so that it can be located overseas, I've seen first hand what it has done to the scientific community. Engineering follows manufacturing, there is no way to do it otherwise, and China, which is building a huge portion of what Americans need and use for day to day living is reaping the benefits. 30 years ago we were manufacturing all sorts of electronic and high tech equipment in Charlotte, including computers, financial equipment, consumer products, business equipment, you name it. All of that is gone now, and not only are the engineers gone, so are the engineers who worked in the many many small companies providing parts and logistics. It is an enormous waste of human talent and talent that will disappear with this generation because they can't pass it on to the next.

Calling a country that is sending people into space, something the USA can no longer do, a paper tiger, is a denial of these facts. You don't do that, without having built up an industrial and supporting engineering base that rivals what the USA once had. I'm not calling China perfect but if they are a paper tiger, then you'd better be watching out for some pretty deep paper cuts.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or