U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:49 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,273,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If his health issues are so bad that he isn't able to talk to authorities about an armed robbery, then he shouldn't be the CEO and administrator of Mecklenburg county which has close to a million residents and many many employees under his command. Obviously he should step down and see to his health first.

In fact, as county manager, I'd think he would want to do everything he could to make sure that armed robberies are treated seriously and not accepted as a harmless prank committed by a "gentleman".
I thought the same thing when I read the post to which you responded. He should be a shining example of how all of us should respond in that situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
If I were dying of cancer like jones is, the last thing I would want to do is spend time talking to cops and lawyers over a few bucks.
I have nothing but sympathy for Mr. Jones and his wife for being assaulted. And I hope his cancer treatment is successful and he returns to full health.

The fact that he is struggling with a cancer battle doesn't lessen the need to get these perps off the street, keep them off the street, and stop the madness w/ armed robberies.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,169,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have nothing but sympathy for Mr. Jones and his wife for being assaulted. And I hope his cancer treatment is successful and he returns to full health.

The fact that he is struggling with a cancer battle doesn't lessen the need to get these perps off the street, keep them off the street, and stop the madness w/ armed robberies.
I agree!
Name:  gangster-with-gun-smiley-emoticon.gif
Views: 4024
Size:  32.0 KB

Old 10-26-2012, 11:59 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,446 times
Quote:

He reported the crime didn't he? I'm just not sure what else we're expecting from him. He's the victim here.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
He reported the crime didn't he? I'm just not sure what else we're expecting from him. He's the victim here.
Yes, he is the victim and again, I am very sorry that he and his wife, and any other good citizens in this city, have had to go through the trauma of this type of assault. I hope the perp is caught.

Getting a good description of the perp out to the media in an expeditious manner is the first step to catching these miscreants.

There is nothing Mr. Jones or his spokespeople or the police can do to recover those precious hours when the public was given no physical description at all of the perp.

If it doesn't beg the question of WHY no mention of the man's race, appearance, clothing, etc was not immediately shared with the press who were THERE and trying to get info, then it just doesn't. To me - it did at the time and I found it odd that those details were left out. And I found it puzzling once the details WERE finally released that Mr. Jones referred to a thug as a gentleman.

Mr. Jones himself IS a gentleman but there is nothing ungentlemanly about calling a miscreant a miscreant, or a perp, or a thug. Calling someone a gentleman implies gentlemanly behavior and that the person should be treated as a gentleman. And that implies a slap on the wrist, which is what we have seen happen in this town repeatedly, ad nauseum.

But now, I really didn't need to spell this out, did I?

Old 10-27-2012, 03:01 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,709,506 times
I believe it was all staged just like the girl that injured herself recently for some stupid reason, carved KKK on the side of her car and said she was attacked by white guys. Shortly after, it was proven to be one of those attention getting racial hoaxes. It was an attention getter. And in many cases, white boneheads donate tons of money in sympathy and as an apology. Fortunately, it was over before Sharpton brought his diseased looking carcus to town.

In this particular case, Mr. Jones got publicity. But, I question anyone that was mugged calling the thugs "gentlemen." On the other hand, using the term "gentlemen" doesn't always imply that the person is gentle. For example, automobile races sometimes begin with "Gentlemen, start your engines." I know that many men in the racing profession are gentlemen, some are not yet are addressed as such.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:54 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
I believe it was all staged just like the girl that injured herself recently for some stupid reason, carved KKK on the side of her car and said she was attacked by white guys. Shortly after, it was proven to be one of those attention getting racial hoaxes. It was an attention getter. And in many cases, white boneheads donate tons of money in sympathy and as an apology. Fortunately, it was over before Sharpton brought his diseased looking carcus to town.

In this particular case, Mr. Jones got publicity. But, I question anyone that was mugged calling the thugs "gentlemen." On the other hand, using the term "gentlemen" doesn't always imply that the person is gentle. For example, automobile races sometimes begin with "Gentlemen, start your engines." I know that many men in the racing profession are gentlemen, some are not yet are addressed as such.
What is wrong with you?

Old 10-27-2012, 08:35 PM

75 posts, read 141,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post

Good grief. How on earth would anyone benefit from staging a robbery of the county manager?

Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,994 times
Quote:
Yes, he is the victim and again, I am very sorry that he and his wife, and any other good citizens in this city, have had to go through the trauma of this type of assault. I hope the perp is caught.

Getting a good description of the perp out to the media in an expeditious manner is the first step to catching these miscreants.

There is nothing Mr. Jones or his spokespeople or the police can do to recover those precious hours when the public was given no physical description at all of the perp.

If it doesn't beg the question of WHY no mention of the man's race, appearance, clothing, etc was not immediately shared with the press who were THERE and trying to get info, then it just doesn't. To me - it did at the time and I found it odd that those details were left out. And I found it puzzling once the details WERE finally released that Mr. Jones referred to a thug as a gentleman.

Mr. Jones himself IS a gentleman but there is nothing ungentlemanly about calling a miscreant a miscreant, or a perp, or a thug. Calling someone a gentleman implies gentlemanly behavior and that the person should be treated as a gentleman. And that implies a slap on the wrist, which is what we have seen happen in this town repeatedly, ad nauseum.

But now, I really didn't need to spell this out, did I?
ani, as the victim of robbery maybe I can offer some explanation. When I was robbed the perp took my wallet, my ID, my keys, my car, and my phone along with my money.

He also took a feeling of security away from me. This guy, if he wanted to, could later come to my house (he had my address and keys after all) and have full run. It's not a *realistic* choice I later determined, but when you've been traumatized your brain goes a little whacky for a while. When some ******* is in your face with a gun at your head threatening you and your loved ones it is stressful. ani, I was so stressed that I couldn't figure out how to cancel my credit cards outside of business hours, and that's no exaggeration. Mr. Jones may have been worried about the safety of his family and home. It may have been irrational, but that's part of the deal.

I'm really disappointed that you all would disparage Harry Jones over this incident. He was robbed, but he is an honorable man

Old 10-28-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
ani, as the victim of robbery maybe I can offer some explanation. When I was robbed the perp took my wallet, my ID, my keys, my car, and my phone along with my money.

He also took a feeling of security away from me. This guy, if he wanted to, could later come to my house (he had my address and keys after all) and have full run. It's not a *realistic* choice I later determined, but when you've been traumatized your brain goes a little whacky for a while. When some ******* is in your face with a gun at your head threatening you and your loved ones it is stressful. ani, I was so stressed that I couldn't figure out how to cancel my credit cards outside of business hours, and that's no exaggeration. Mr. Jones may have been worried about the safety of his family and home. It may have been irrational, but that's part of the deal.

I'm really disappointed that you all would disparage Harry Jones over this incident. He was robbed, but he is an honorable man
I am disappointed that you would consider my questioning why we got no description of the perp and his being referred to as a "gentleman" as somehow disaparaging Harry Jones, whom I have referred to as a gentleman and have expressed my sympathy and concern for both him and his wife. I also feel it is terrible that ANYONE is assaulted in this matter, but especially feel saddened that he has had to endure this while also dealing with serious health issues.

I do object to how criminals -- and especially, repeat offenders -- are treated in this city.

First of all, they get away with these crimes time and again. Then, if they do get caught, they are let back out on the street through our infamous revolving door of justice. They escalate the violence as they continue their lives of crime. This is not my opinion; it is readily evident by looking at the rap sheets of these thugs.

I have called for answers to why this city is creating homegrown thugs numerous times on this forum. We are spending millions annually on programs that are not even assessed over the longterm for effectiveness -- much less attrition. You can't get real stats; they are short term feel good stats so the funding will continue. It is deliberately self-perpetuating so the funding will continue, the programs will continue, people will keep their jobs . . . everyone can feel good that these agencies are doing something. I try to dig into this stuff and am stonewalled or given meaningless rhetoric and statistics. There is like a shield of bureaucracy around these programs. WHY? But I won't continue b/c the next thing will be people telling me that I am wrong and try to "prove" that there is transparency blahblahblahblah. I am capable of deciding without the BS what is and isn't transparent. But these folks all have their minions protecting them and there is no way to penetrate the shield.

The Salavation Army is exemplary and so I support them. They actually help people get back on their feet.

So back to these crimes. What you wrote makes perfect sense to me -- the confusion and trauma and sense of being vulnerable and your sense of security violated.

I am sure Mr. Jones and his wife have felt all these things.

And I understand why any victim would not want their name and information in the news. However, once reporters were there and it was disclosed that Mr. Jones was the victim, the rest of the story would have been helpful and not disclosing it looks like a deliberate decision. Perhaps that is not what transpired; but that is what it LOOKS LIKE.

What you wrote does give more perspective to why it may have unfolded as it did, however. Retribution is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte