U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
When did we loose the meaning of the word gentleman...
HA! I noticed the same thing and it really peeved me. Someone who assaults you is a "gentleman?"

Seems Mr. Jones has tried to downplay this assault. My question is . . . "Why?" He doesn't want to admit all the $$$ in the budget going to social programs aimed specifically at all the miscreants in this city DO NOT WORK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,530,799 times
Have to be smart about concealed carrying. In NC 21 feet is the justified threat distance. More than likely he isn't going to pull his piece out that quick and will be even closer range. At that range you better have easy access to your firearm and be able to put a number of good shots @ center mass. Practice it and drill it, it just may save your life.

I would have dusted this guy depending on the availability of a clean shot.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
In case you are unfamiliar with him, this is the Mecklenburg County Manager, Harry Jones. I find the use of the word "gentleman" to describe a gun slinging violent criminal to be a bit disturbing as well.

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/coun...y%20Jones.aspx

Last edited by frewroad; 10-22-2012 at 07:35 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,169,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Have to be smart about concealed carrying. In NC 21 feet is the justified threat distance. More than likely he isn't going to pull his piece out that quick and will be even closer range. At that range you better have easy access to your firearm and be able to put a number of good shots @ center mass. Practice it and drill it, it just may save your life.

You are my new Hero!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,414,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post

Care to site your source on this claim.

14‑51.3. Use of force in defense of person; relief from criminal or civil liability.
(a) A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat in any place he or she has the lawful right to be if either of the following applies:
(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another.
(2) Under the circumstances permitted pursuant to G.S. 14‑51.2.
(b) A person who uses force as permitted by this section is justified in using such force and is immune from civil or criminal liability for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer or bail bondsman who was lawfully acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer or bail bondsman identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer or bail bondsman in the lawful performance of his or her official duties. (2011‑268, s. 1.)

I do not see anything within the law about 21 feet, let's not disseminate inaccurate info.

Last edited by chb119; 10-22-2012 at 07:56 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 09:15 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,278,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
WOW.

And, I thought that the low-income, crime ridden areas around Chicago had a low value on the sanctity of life. In some areas, kids figure that they aren't going to live until they are 20, so there is no point in trying to keep anyone else alive either... Is it any wonder that people have short fuses?

I wonder how many of you trigger-happy vigilantes are the first to yell out in opposition of abortion? Because why even allow the children to be born when they are undoubtedly going to turn into other trigger-happy vigilantes. Soon, there will be gunfights in the street. Really will be like certain areas of Chicago then!
If it's me or them, "them" being someone who is threatening my life by either having or suggesting they have a weapon, it's gonna be them that goes down if I have any say in the matter. When the issue is my health or even life, I'm not going to spend a lot of time rationalizing why I shouldn't take extreme action against a real threat. I'm right, they're wrong, end of story.

Speaking of Chicago, many years ago a friend was walking down one of the streets near Rush street, after a trade show. Three thugs were walking towards him, and one of them shouldered my buddy hard enough to shove him against a pole. Then all three came at him as if it was his fault. My buddy kicked the first one in the crotch so hard that the guy came off the ground and had to be taken to the hospital. The others backed off, and a CPD officer who had seen the entire incident from across the street in his parked cruiser (duh, dumb thugs) said my buddy was at no fault due to being 3 on 1, and them being the aggressors. Could my buddy have walked away unharmed if he had pleaded with the thugs? Maybe. My opinion is that his action probably saved him from harm, and the guy who lost a testicle...well...maybe he will be less likely to reproduce another generation of dumb thugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I cannot believe there are still normal people that keep defending/justifying (implicitly supporting) the criminals...
Chicago is a good example, sorry but doing the same thing they do in Chicago and expecting different results in Charlotte is the definition of insanity.
Law abiding citizens get the benefit of the doubt, IMO. I think we need to assume the worst, given the circumstances, when in a potential confrontation, and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
No, but they have to run away from you at some point. Don't shoot to kill, just to maim.
Dead men tell no tales. Shooting in the back is not self-defense, and can get the shooter in deep trouble, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Care to site your source on this claim.

14‑51.3. Use of force in defense of person; relief from criminal or civil liability.
(a) A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat in any place he or she has the lawful right to be if either of the following applies:
(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another.
(2) Under the circumstances permitted pursuant to G.S. 14‑51.2.
(b) A person who uses force as permitted by this section is justified in using such force and is immune from civil or criminal liability for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer or bail bondsman who was lawfully acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer or bail bondsman identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer or bail bondsman in the lawful performance of his or her official duties. (2011‑268, s. 1.)

I do not see anything within the law about 21 feet, let's not disseminate inaccurate info.
Excellent point. OTOH, When I carry, it's not a tape measure that's in the holster.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,410,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Hmm, if you walk 2 blocks west of where the NoDa station will be, you will be in some, of what I consider, some of the scariest places to be at night in Charlotte for a pedestrian.

If you want to experience this first hand, I recommend getting a bicycle and do a tour of Ritch Avenue and even better Hilo Drive across the street.

(Interestingly, the name Hilo Dr. comes from Hawaii as there was once a big new development there called Hawaiian Village, which many professionals lived at in the early 70s. That was back when it was a much different area than now. There was a big Western Electric plant there where telephone equipment was manufactured and where 100s if not 1000s were employed. People today would be flabberghasted if they could get into a time machine and travel back to 1974 to have a look then. )
If you think Ritch Ave is a scary place to be, you probably don't get around town much. Ritch Ave is a decent street and nowhere near as dangerous or questionable as other areas. If I recall correctly, it is mostly decent families on that street. On the other hand, there are some neighborhoods within a short distance that are questionable and this perp probably cam from there.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
If you think Ritch Ave is a scary place to be, you probably don't get around town much.
You are correct. I don't frequent places at night where people get guns pulled on them.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:11 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I am joyous every time I read about scum bags being shot. I don't care about their age either. Young ones grow up to be old ones. It is cheaper to bury one than support in jail time after time or give a government check each month.
There are some folks in the world's society who use verbiage like that. They are not usually welcome in America. Hmmmm. [/quote]

So now you are the message board monitor? So you would sit down and speak to and change the life of some bonehead that attempts to mug and/or murder you? You go right ahead. As far as the idiotic analogy of those of us that are willing protect ourselves and others from future incidents and birth control, I see no link. My personal feelings about abortion is that too many babies are aborted that could be adopted and too many babies are born that should have been aborted. But, that was a brainless analogy anyway. Nice for you to tell me that I am not "Welcome in America." But in my world of non-bitter, non-complaining, non-frustrated, unpretentuous people, I am welcomed.

Last edited by vindaloo; 10-22-2012 at 10:50 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 11:43 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,530,799 times
Sorry about that 21 feet was information provided by crimestoppers training as a general rule of thumb in NC rather than specifically NC law. That applies to someone with a knife and the distance they can cover to become an imminent threat.

Now someone pulling a gun at any range to me is not going to get the same treatment.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte