U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM
 
4,222 posts, read 6,724,960 times
Reputation: 1560

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Sorry about that 21 feet was information provided by crimestoppers training as a general rule of thumb in NC rather than specifically NC law. That applies to someone with a knife and the distance they can cover to become an imminent threat.

Now someone pulling a gun at any range to me is not going to get the same treatment.
I was driving through Utah on my way to California late one night and was 117 miles from the next service station or facility of any sort. My wife and I stopped for dinner at a small cafe on the side of the highway. As we sat, two really shady looking individuals kept watching us. We were sitting at a booth and they were on bar stools at the counter. I was getting a bit suspicious as it was pretty obvious that they were plotting something.

We left the cafe and they followed us into the parking lot. I quickly unlocked the doors and noticed that one of the guys was walking around to my wifes side of the car and one on mine. I shut my door quickly and locked it and grabbed my piston as my wife was tryng to quickly get in. The guy on her side forced the door wide open and started fighting his way into my car with his large knife. I was two feet or less away from him when I fired.

He never attempted to do another car jacking again. He didn't survive. His companion (in his late 50s) was held at gunpoint until the local shreiff arrived. He went back to prison after his trial. Now, years later, I try to imagine what could have happened if these two crazy bastards had taken control that night with nothing between the place we were and the next town for over 100 miles.

I didn't have a conceiled permit then. I do now. I was taken in and questioned, not charged, and released that same evening. I was in the army at the time so I was available for any other questions or court summons, etc. The two that attempted to rob us were career criminals. And, I don't consider how far away one happens to be, the instant my life or a family member's life is threatened, he's dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2012, 01:05 PM
 
1,547 posts, read 2,174,675 times
Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
I was driving through Utah on my way to California late one night and was 117 miles from the next service station or facility of any sort. My wife and I stopped for dinner at a small cafe on the side of the highway. As we sat, two really shady looking individuals kept watching us. We were sitting at a booth and they were on bar stools at the counter. I was getting a bit suspicious as it was pretty obvious that they were plotting something.

We left the cafe and they followed us into the parking lot. I quickly unlocked the doors and noticed that one of the guys was walking around to my wifes side of the car and one on mine. I shut my door quickly and locked it and grabbed my piston as my wife was tryng to quickly get in. The guy on her side forced the door wide open and started fighting his way into my car with his large knife. I was two feet or less away from him when I fired.

He never attempted to do another car jacking again. He didn't survive. His companion (in his late 50s) was held at gunpoint until the local shreiff arrived. He went back to prison after his trial. Now, years later, I try to imagine what could have happened if these two crazy bastards had taken control that night with nothing between the place we were and the next town for over 100 miles.

I didn't have a conceiled permit then. I do now. I was taken in and questioned, not charged, and released that same evening. I was in the army at the time so I was available for any other questions or court summons, etc. The two that attempted to rob us were career criminals. And, I don't consider how far away one happens to be, the instant my life or a family member's life is threatened, he's dead.
I now have 2 New Hero's today!
This story should be sent to the NRA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM
 
4,222 posts, read 6,724,960 times
Reputation: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
I now have 2 New Hero's today!
This story should be sent to the NRA.
Thanks. I wasn't a member. I prefer to keep my name off of membership roles in case the govt. starts some sort of weird takeover of our guns like they did in Australia and other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 PM
 
2,838 posts, read 4,156,321 times
Reputation: 6889
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
I was driving through Utah on my way to California late one night and was 117 miles from the next service station or facility of any sort. My wife and I stopped for dinner at a small cafe on the side of the highway. As we sat, two really shady looking individuals kept watching us. We were sitting at a booth and they were on bar stools at the counter. I was getting a bit suspicious as it was pretty obvious that they were plotting something.

We left the cafe and they followed us into the parking lot. I quickly unlocked the doors and noticed that one of the guys was walking around to my wifes side of the car and one on mine. I shut my door quickly and locked it and grabbed my piston as my wife was tryng to quickly get in. The guy on her side forced the door wide open and started fighting his way into my car with his large knife. I was two feet or less away from him when I fired.

He never attempted to do another car jacking again. He didn't survive. His companion (in his late 50s) was held at gunpoint until the local shreiff arrived. He went back to prison after his trial. Now, years later, I try to imagine what could have happened if these two crazy bastards had taken control that night with nothing between the place we were and the next town for over 100 miles.

I didn't have a conceiled permit then. I do now. I was taken in and questioned, not charged, and released that same evening. I was in the army at the time so I was available for any other questions or court summons, etc. The two that attempted to rob us were career criminals. And, I don't consider how far away one happens to be, the instant my life or a family member's life is threatened, he's dead.
I concur with Cleveland Mike! Way to go bindibadji!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,126,319 times
Reputation: 2324
If it's me or them, "them" being someone who is threatening my life by either having or suggesting they have a weapon, it's gonna be them that goes down if I have any say in the matter. When the issue is my health or even life, I'm not going to spend a lot of time rationalizing why I shouldn't take extreme action against a real threat. I'm right, they're wrong, end of story.

Speaking of Chicago, many years ago a friend was walking down one of the streets near Rush street, after a trade show. Three thugs were walking towards him, and one of them shouldered my buddy hard enough to shove him against a pole. Then all three came at him as if it was his fault. My buddy kicked the first one in the crotch so hard that the guy came off the ground and had to be taken to the hospital. The others backed off, and a CPD officer who had seen the entire incident from across the street in his parked cruiser (duh, dumb thugs) said my buddy was at no fault due to being 3 on 1, and them being the aggressors. Could my buddy have walked away unharmed if he had pleaded with the thugs? Maybe. My opinion is that his action probably saved him from harm, and the guy who lost a testicle...well...maybe he will be less likely to reproduce another generation of dumb thugs.

VMAX: that is the way you defend yourself properly, in my opinion. Not whipping out a pistol and shooting someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,126,319 times
Reputation: 2324
You guys have proven this to me: I am far more terrified of the (increasingly growing amount of) trigger-happy vigilantes than I am of ANY thug. I have dealt with gangs, with crazy people and have had my life threatened. Never felt the need or desire to shoot someone. People who have lived around that kind of thing really do know better.

As for my life, I look at it this way: what is the worst that could happen? I go to heaven and see Jesus. Not a bad result as far as I am concerned! and, I don't own anything that is worth loosing my life over. I just don't want to be brandished by some trigger-happy vigilante that is determined to return this country to the wild, wild west and shoot people rather than look at them. Where am I? Back in high school? Because, yes, the high school that my best friend attended had kids with .357 magnums that did just that. THAT is ludicrous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 05:42 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,339,495 times
Reputation: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
If it's me or them, "them" being someone who is threatening my life by either having or suggesting they have a weapon, it's gonna be them that goes down if I have any say in the matter. When the issue is my health or even life, I'm not going to spend a lot of time rationalizing why I shouldn't take extreme action against a real threat. I'm right, they're wrong, end of story.

Speaking of Chicago, many years ago a friend was walking down one of the streets near Rush street, after a trade show. Three thugs were walking towards him, and one of them shouldered my buddy hard enough to shove him against a pole. Then all three came at him as if it was his fault. My buddy kicked the first one in the crotch so hard that the guy came off the ground and had to be taken to the hospital. The others backed off, and a CPD officer who had seen the entire incident from across the street in his parked cruiser (duh, dumb thugs) said my buddy was at no fault due to being 3 on 1, and them being the aggressors. Could my buddy have walked away unharmed if he had pleaded with the thugs? Maybe. My opinion is that his action probably saved him from harm, and the guy who lost a testicle...well...maybe he will be less likely to reproduce another generation of dumb thugs.

VMAX: that is the way you defend yourself properly, in my opinion. Not whipping out a pistol and shooting someone.

In a situation like that you only get one chance. What if one of them had a gun and pulled it after the first thug went down? No doubt my buddy would have been shot. Every self defense expert will tell you that waiting for something to happen in that situation is the worst possible thing you can do. Wishing it were different will not make it so. Strike hard, strike fast, strike first.

I'm not saying someone needs to get shot during every confrontation. But maybe if a few assailants were gunned down, others would reconsider their actions. As I said before, I'm right, they're wrong, they lose.

BTW-please learn to use the quote function. You posts are unnecessarily difficult to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 05:45 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,339,495 times
Reputation: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
People who have lived around that kind of thing really do know better.
You mean the people who lived, weren't maimed, didn't lose a loved one or friend. Those people? The ones who were killed by a POS for a few bucks probably don't know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 07:03 AM
 
820 posts, read 1,534,789 times
Reputation: 617
And where is the police protection in that area if it such a crime ridden, unsafe, yet trendy area? Chief Monroe? Mayor Foxx? I am sure Mr. Jones and his wife are asking the same questions. It would be interesting to see how the crime is coded (cooked) for data purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,954,665 times
Reputation: 1272
According to another blog that I read, we may not have even known about it if WBTV had not been listening to the police radio and managed to get a crew over there while Jones was still talking to the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top