Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 PM

84 posts, read 152,461 times

Advertisements

Anybody picking up a Microsoft Surface this Friday at their South Park Mall kiosk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 05:32 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
I'm waiting until the Pro version comes out unless I can wrangle a free RT one.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 AM

642 posts, read 1,169,847 times
I'm definitely going to buy one but I want to see just how the difference between the RT and Pro versions stack up in use.

The published differences are obvious. The RT version is thinner, lighter, cheaper and has more battery life but for an old IT lag like myself, the Pro version may have some needed (by me) advantages.

Also, I wish to wait until the initial batch has been sold and is in use for a couopla months. Why? "You can tell the pioneers by the arrows in their backs.".

Old 10-23-2012, 04:22 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,441 times
I have been looking at this and I am planning on gettring one. Not really a techie but not sure of whichversionI want. I know for sure that I won't be caught in any crowds.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
I'd consider it though with hesitation. Other than the Xbox, Microsoft has a pretty bad history for releasing devices that end up disappearing. (remember Zune?) With that said, I don't like the Iwhatever universe because of the way it locks you down to Apple content & control, or the 'droid universe and all the snooping by Google. At least with Microsoft you usually know what you are getting and that supersedes clunkiness and maybe blue screens of death.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 AM

249 posts, read 458,020 times
i am definetely going to look this over. I do not think i will need the pro version. I have a samsung galaxy tab 10.1 that i have been using for the last 2 years but i am ready for a change. I will be also looking at the new ultra books but they get pricey when you step up to good hardware inside. I guess it depends on how fast and responsive the surface is. All i really need it for is internet, streaming tv and movies, music etc. Basically just good solid multimedia. i have a desktop at home if i need anything done that requires excel, etc.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 AM

84 posts, read 152,461 times
Go with the Pro if you need your current windows and legacy apps to work. Otherwise just go with RT. I agree about MSFT hardware releases but I believe the Surface will different. They haven't put this much money and time into a hardware release since the Xbox, which is now number 1. The reviews should be out today b/c I think that's when the nondisclosure agreement ends. In the mean time check out smart glass. Looks really good.

Xbox SmartGlass Walkthrough - YouTube

Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I'd consider it though with hesitation. Other than the Xbox, Microsoft has a pretty bad history for releasing devices that end up disappearing. (remember Zune?) With that said, I don't like the Iwhatever universe because of the way it locks you down to Apple content & control, or the 'droid universe and all the snooping by Google. At least with Microsoft you usually know what you are getting and that supersedes clunkiness and maybe blue screens of death.
Well, if they fail this time it will be their fault. Zune was built by Toshiba working with Microsoft, I believe.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 AM

642 posts, read 1,169,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Well, if they fail this time it will be their fault. Zune was built by Toshiba working with Microsoft, I believe.
You are correct. The original Zune was a re-vamped (and not too much either) version of a Toshiba media player.

I had quite a good following for a while and Microsoft learned quite a bit from the product. As you say, this time it had better be different. Windows 8 on PC, Surface and the phone with the same UI is a very powerful message but only if it all works right and together.

The other side of the Surfaces' success will be how many apps it will attract and how much money developers can make from selling these. Apple has lots of apps and this is very profitable for both Apple and the developer. RIM (BlackBerry) is the next most profitable company for app sales and any Android devoce is waay down the the list because it is so easy to rip-off Android programs.

Additionally Apple do a first class job of vetting their apps prior to release in the AppStore and this is something that Microsoft needs to do if it is to keep viruses and other malware out of its products. RIM, imo does a lousy job of this and they really should do more to proetect their high levels of security.

I really hope the Surface is a good as the hype says it is because I want one.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
I'm a 100% Apple guy and for the past 5 years since all in our house are Apple products - we've been very happy to stay away from viruses and regular windows crashes...
Since we have all the Apple toys (got them all in time after the lunch of iPhone3) it is a joy to have them all synced and running with no problems...no way I want to go back to the troublesome windows environment...
Only one I don't have (yet) is the new mini-iPad to be lunched today...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte