U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:52 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,941,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Agreed - this is very much the reality today. I still struggle with the "remote" reference when you consider the Ballantyne and northern UC areas have better (faster) access to South Charlotte. The lake areas are far more remote.
Dear Heart, I'm beyond the age of needing to look for schools for kids. I also lived in Myers Park for many years so I know what I'm talking about. In any case, it isn't about me, it's about trying to help the OP, and stating your opinion of me doesn't do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 PM

2,082 posts, read 3,566,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Dear Heart, I'm beyond the age of needing to look for schools for kids. I also lived in Myers Park for many years so I know what I'm talking about. In any case, it isn't about me, it's about trying to help the OP, and stating your opinion of me doesn't do this.
Then I don't understand why you insist on imposing you opinion on subjects that you don't have any present involvement/experience?

My kids have lots of new kids moving from other parts of Charlotte (MP included) and everybody (new kids and parents) agree that top UC schools are better (more challenging), due to a more demanding learning environment. Since 100% of their colleagues prepare to go to college, all kids focus is in the right place.
As you know, much like in business, competition in a good environment is a good thing.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:09 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,000 times
Quote:
Not sure I'm following... I mean I'm thrilled that I'm dear to your heart, don't get me wrong. But, I was just responding to a post I agreed with. Not yours.

Since you brought it up, though... Relative to your experience, I think it would be appropriate for you to advise retirees - not parents with kids in school. But, that's just an opinion. Feel free to carry on.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,938,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
You have to accept that times are changing and the new schools in UC and other "remote areas", are indeed a better choice when college is a priority.
Sure UNC is on top but Clemson and South Carolina are next and they both come from South Carolina. Plus, not all kids chose to stay in-state for college.

Fort Mill is one fantastic school district. All the schools are either 10s or 9s.

To OP,
It is a tough choice. Know you get more for your money on the SC side. Either way, both areas are really nice. If I were you, check out the area and make the drive. Weddington/Waxhaw are pretty down there and can have some traffic issues (due to no easy routes to South Park, Uptown, etc. Definitely try them both out. We fell in love with Fort Mill and have been here for a few years now. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:20 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,203,193 times
Quote:
Hard to say what best fits your needs unless you provide a house budget.

Compared to other public schools in Charlotte area, Marvin schools (Union County) are part of top list of best schools in Charlotte area. However a home in Marvin area is not cheap since low end housing starts from $300k and goes a lot higher. Weddington is about the same while Waxhaw is a bit more affordable both part of Union County as well and great schools.

Fort Mill (SC) also has good schools but keep in mind that if your kids end up at the UNC schools, you'd be paying an out of state (almost double cost) tuition.

Commute time from the 3 locations for your spouse is about 25-45 minutes, depends on location/traffic.

You might also want to consider Ballantyne, which although part of the city of Charlotte, it has very good schools and a desirable neighbourhood. Another Meck area that is very nice (with best Charlotte city schools IMO) is around Arboretum (going to Providence High school). The last two are closer to your spouse work.

Good luck!
Yeah, but just because you live in NC doesn't mean the kids want to go to school in NC. LOL. I went to University of South Carolina and it seemed to me that over half the students were from out of state.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Then I don't understand why you insist on imposing you opinion on subjects that you don't have any present involvement/experience?
I stated my opinion. It wasn't imposed on anyone, and you know nothing about my present situation or what I know or don't know. I have plenty of relatives in this city with school age children. Furthermore, since you do not live in Charlotte, choosing instead to locate in a remote exhurb, I could say the same about you.

If you can't address my point with a logical counter point, then you are offering up nothing but opinion to counter opinion. Nothing more. Attempting to discredit me isn't the way to go about it.

The OP is asking for options and I listed a very valid one. The schools located in remote exhurbs, simply don't have access to the resources, diversity, and name recognition of a county with a million people.

Last edited by frewroad; 10-24-2012 at 02:06 AM..

Old 10-24-2012, 04:21 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Quote:
The OP is asking for options and I listed a very valid one.
Did you? You suggested the "high profile" public schools and the "nationally known" private schools, you never actually named any specific schools. 28173 basically clarified for the OP, although I would venture a guess that you would consider Ardrey Kell in an "exurb" as well.

I will somewhat agree with you that the three schools 28173 mentioned as clarification would be good options, mainly for commute purposes, but I will disagree with you that they will "exceed the schools in remote counties." To be honest I get a little tired of 28173 always posting that Marvin Ridge is the best school in the Charlotte metro, but it's tough to argue with the numbers.

Last edited by GoPhils; 10-24-2012 at 05:02 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Did you?
Since you are asking. Yes I did.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM

2,082 posts, read 3,566,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Did you? You suggested the "high profile" public schools and the "nationally known" private schools, you never actually named any specific schools. 28173 basically clarified for the OP, although I would venture a guess that you would consider Ardrey Kell in an "exurb" as well.

I will somewhat agree with you that the three schools 28173 mentioned as clarification would be good options, mainly for commute purposes, but I will disagree with you that they will "exceed the schools in remote counties." To be honest I get a little tired of 28173 always posting that Marvin Ridge is the best school in the Charlotte metro, but it's tough to argue with the numbers.
Sorry that I keep posting about how good MR schools are, this does not mean that other schools are not as good. I personally have no merit or gain on how well MR schools are doing.

It took us over one year of extensive research to find the "perfect" school for our kids in Charlotte area (started with Meck area: MP, then Providence High, AK, WH, etc) and we are now extremely happy with both the schools and neighborhood...

Old 10-24-2012, 08:40 PM

2,156 posts, read 2,354,698 times
I think we are all winners in the debate over schools of choice. If we are happy, then it's a great choice and a great school. While 28173 chooses MR, our family chose WH and my closest friend chose PH. Everyone content and that's way more than half the battle. I have another close friend that picked Monroe High several years ago for her child. That child is now about to graduate from Duke after spending four great scholarship years in Durham.
Some of my best friends are graduates of West Meck High. All are now productive members of society that give much more than they take from their communities.

I think my point is they/we are all content with the school and the academic environment of choice. Contentment and a feeling of belonging are the important things. Do you, or your child fit into the learning plan of your school of choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or