U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,195 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Charlotte area in Dec. He will be commuting to South Park. We have a 2, 4, and 6 yr old children. I do not want to start my first grader in one school and have to move him. I am trying to decided which school districts are the best. I know that most of Mecklenberg Co is a no go, but wanted some opinions on schools and preschools. We are bro ably going to build a house since this is our final destination. We are in the DC area now and drove down this past weekend. If anything, I am more infused than I was before the short trip. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 PM

2,082 posts, read 3,566,018 times
Hard to say what best fits your needs unless you provide a house budget.

Compared to other public schools in Charlotte area, Marvin schools (Union County) are part of top list of best schools in Charlotte area. However a home in Marvin area is not cheap since low end housing starts from $300k and goes a lot higher. Weddington is about the same while Waxhaw is a bit more affordable both part of Union County as well and great schools.

Fort Mill (SC) also has good schools but keep in mind that if your kids end up at the UNC schools, you'd be paying an out of state (almost double cost) tuition.

Commute time from the 3 locations for your spouse is about 25-45 minutes, depends on location/traffic.

You might also want to consider Ballantyne, which although part of the city of Charlotte, it has very good schools and a desirable neighbourhood. Another Meck area that is very nice (with best Charlotte city schools IMO) is around Arboretum (going to Providence High school). The last two are closer to your spouse work.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2012, 05:50 AM

423 posts, read 661,572 times
Since you mention preschools, there are a ton in the Waxhaw/Weddington area to choose from. People love Ivybrook, Weddington Methodist, Southbrook, and many others. But registrations start in January and can fill up quickly, especially for the older years. Don't wait too long to sign them up!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:23 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to the South View Post
....I know that most of Mecklenberg Co is a no go, but wanted some opinions on schools and preschools. ...
Given what you said and...

if you are choosing based on schools, then any of the high profile schools in Charlotte are going to exceed the schools in the remote counties in terms of college prep. I'd also investigate the nationally known private schools in Charlotte and several of the charter schools.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 AM

2,082 posts, read 3,566,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
...any of the high profile schools in Charlotte are going to exceed the schools in the remote counties in terms of college prep. ..
You made it clear that you have a personal issue with UC from years back, but while UC is very large, the area discussed is hardly remote (just outside 485).
Also "high profile" public HS in Charlotte are really only three (excluding Catholic HS): Providence High (best one), Ardrey Kell (second best) and Myers Park (mainly a "has-been" with a good IB program only).

You have to accept that times are changing and the new schools in UC and other "remote areas", are indeed a better choice when college is a priority.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:35 AM

2,154 posts, read 2,353,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
You made it clear that you have a personal issue with UC from years back, but while UC is very large, the area discussed is hardly remote (just outside 485).
Also "high profile" public HS in Charlotte are really only three (excluding Catholic HS): Providence High (best one), Ardrey Kell (second best) and Myers Park (mainly a "has-been" with a good IB program only).

You have to accept that times are changing and the new schools in UC and other "remote areas", are indeed a better choice when college is a priority.
Well said!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:12 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,876 times
Quote:

I don't accept this, but I do accept that you have the right to have this opinion. IMO someone graduating from a top school in the largest city in the Carolinas isn't going to have to prove much when it comes to admissions to any university.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:30 PM

2,154 posts, read 2,353,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I don't accept this, but I do accept that you have the right to have this opinion. IMO someone graduating from a top school in the largest city in the Carolinas isn't going to have to prove much when it comes to admissions to any university.

You haven't been through the college application process in a long time right?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:14 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,410,081 times
Quote:

Agreed - this is very much the reality today. I still struggle with the "remote" reference when you consider the Ballantyne and northern UC areas have better (faster) access to South Charlotte. The lake areas are far more remote.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:18 PM

11 posts, read 24,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to the South View Post
My husband and I are moving to the Charlotte area in Dec. He will be commuting to South Park. We have a 2, 4, and 6 yr old children. I do not want to start my first grader in one school and have to move him. I am trying to decided which school districts are the best. I know that most of Mecklenberg Co is a no go, but wanted some opinions on schools and preschools. We are bro ably going to build a house since this is our final destination. We are in the DC area now and drove down this past weekend. If anything, I am more infused than I was before the short trip. Any help is appreciated.
Weddington would be nice, ft Mill..not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or