Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,247,711 times

Advertisements

The longer this situation goes on, the more concerned I am becoming and I wonder if there isn't more the public should be doing. At this point, I worry that either they have had a car accident and no one has found the vehicle or there has been some kind of foul play.

I have excerpted some main facts from the news report below, and more links following that info.

Sherrills Ford teens missing since Saturday | Hickory Daily Record

SHERRILLS FORD N.C. – Two Bandys High School seniors are missing and haven’t been heard from since early Saturday morning. Their disappearance was reported to the Catawba County Sheriff’s Department that morning.
Jake Ziegler, 18, and friend Ray Pierce, 17, left a party in Sherrills Ford between 1-1:45 a.m. on Saturday to drive down to Myrtle Beach and then back, according to Jackie Ziegler, Jake’s older sister. “Ray had to be back Saturday for work,” she said. Both teens are from Sherrills Ford.
When the two did not return Saturday morning and Ray didn’t show up for work at Sagebrush Restaurant in Denver, the boys’ fathers, split up to report them missing. Joe Pierce went to the Catawba Sheriff’s Office and Zig Ziegler drove down to report them to the Myrtle Beach Police.
The Catawba County Sheriff’s office issued a poster with the boys’ pictures and of the car they were driving, Ziegler’s green 2006 Pontiac G6, with N.C. license tag BBD8844.
Ziegler is 5 foot 11 and weighs 150 pounds. He was wearing gray cargo shorts and a royal blue T-shirt with white reverse writing. Ziegler also has a pierced left ear, and a tattoo on his right buttocks.
Pierce is approximately the same size as Ziegler, except stockier. He wore Timberland boots, a red and gray RVCA jacket, and jeans, according to Ziegler’s sister.

SHERRILLS FORD: Missing NC teens’ families search for the worst, pray for the best | News | Rock Hill Herald Online

SHERRILLS FORD — Just before 2:45 a.m. on Oct. 13, Catawba County teenager Ray Pierce sent a text message to his girlfriend. “We’re almost at the beach.” That was the last time anyone heard from Pierce, 17, or his friend Jake Ziegler, 18.
Now, after 10 days of frantic searching, families of the missing teens are exhausted and are turning to law enforcement and a private investigator to bring their sons home.
Fearing that the teens might be injured in a wreck hidden off the road – or worse – the families, friends and volunteers have driven thousands of miles, back and forth, between Sherrills Ford and Myrtle Beach. They’ve rented a helicopter to fly overhead and search for any signs of the green Pontiac G6. They’ve handed out missing-persons fliers outside Bank of America Stadium to fans arriving for Sunday’s Panthers-Cowboys game.
“We’ll do what we need to do and go where we need to go,” said Jake’s mom, Sue Ziegler, in an interview Monday. “Jake has been stubborn since the day he was born. He’s not going to let this get him down. He’s going to pull through whatever this is and he’s going to come home.”

(Read more at above link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 AM

247 posts, read 377,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The longer this situation goes on, the more concerned I am becoming and I wonder if there isn't more the public should be doing. At this point, I worry that either they have had a car accident and no one has found the vehicle or there has been some kind of foul play.

I have excerpted some main facts from the news report below, and more links following that info.

Sherrills Ford teens missing since Saturday | Hickory Daily Record

SHERRILLS FORD N.C. – Two Bandys High School seniors are missing and haven’t been heard from since early Saturday morning. Their disappearance was reported to the Catawba County Sheriff’s Department that morning.
Jake Ziegler, 18, and friend Ray Pierce, 17, left a party in Sherrills Ford between 1-1:45 a.m. on Saturday to drive down to Myrtle Beach and then back, according to Jackie Ziegler, Jake’s older sister. “Ray had to be back Saturday for work,” she said. Both teens are from Sherrills Ford.
When the two did not return Saturday morning and Ray didn’t show up for work at Sagebrush Restaurant in Denver, the boys’ fathers, split up to report them missing. Joe Pierce went to the Catawba Sheriff’s Office and Zig Ziegler drove down to report them to the Myrtle Beach Police.
The Catawba County Sheriff’s office issued a poster with the boys’ pictures and of the car they were driving, Ziegler’s green 2006 Pontiac G6, with N.C. license tag BBD8844.
Ziegler is 5 foot 11 and weighs 150 pounds. He was wearing gray cargo shorts and a royal blue T-shirt with white reverse writing. Ziegler also has a pierced left ear, and a tattoo on his right buttocks.
Pierce is approximately the same size as Ziegler, except stockier. He wore Timberland boots, a red and gray RVCA jacket, and jeans, according to Ziegler’s sister.

SHERRILLS FORD: Missing NC teens’ families search for the worst, pray for the best | News | Rock Hill Herald Online

SHERRILLS FORD — Just before 2:45 a.m. on Oct. 13, Catawba County teenager Ray Pierce sent a text message to his girlfriend. “We’re almost at the beach.” That was the last time anyone heard from Pierce, 17, or his friend Jake Ziegler, 18.
Now, after 10 days of frantic searching, families of the missing teens are exhausted and are turning to law enforcement and a private investigator to bring their sons home.
Fearing that the teens might be injured in a wreck hidden off the road – or worse – the families, friends and volunteers have driven thousands of miles, back and forth, between Sherrills Ford and Myrtle Beach. They’ve rented a helicopter to fly overhead and search for any signs of the green Pontiac G6. They’ve handed out missing-persons fliers outside Bank of America Stadium to fans arriving for Sunday’s Panthers-Cowboys game.
“We’ll do what we need to do and go where we need to go,” said Jake’s mom, Sue Ziegler, in an interview Monday. “Jake has been stubborn since the day he was born. He’s not going to let this get him down. He’s going to pull through whatever this is and he’s going to come home.”

(Read more at above link)
I have been following this story, and have started to see more and more about it, including flyers that have been put up all around Uptown.

Can't help but think that they had a car accident of some kind - but who knows. I hate to speculate, but these kids have been missing for 10 days with no activity on their cell phones or ATM cards.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:24 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,166,598 times
A 2006 Pontiac has OnStar installed in it. Even if there's no active subscription, there are occasions where the GPS device can be activated remotely.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,364,767 times
They left a party on the day when one had to be at work around 2 in morning. That is around 8 hour round trip. That would left no time for the beach and be back to work on that day..

We just spent the weekend at Myrtle Beach and there was flyers all over the place.

I feel for the family with worries but I dont think this going to have a happy ending.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
They left a party on the day when one had to be at work around 2 in morning. That is around 8 hour round trip. That would left no time for the beach and be back to work on that day..

We just spent the weekend at Myrtle Beach and there was flyers all over the place.

I feel for the family with worries but I dont think this going to have a happy ending.
I am very concerned as well.

I fear their car is in a swamp.

My oldest son was in the military, stationed at Ft. Jackson at the time, I believe, and we were at a conference in Kiawah. He got leave so he could come visit us over the weekend. A terrible storm had come up, and it was raining hard for hours, accompanied by strong winds.When he didn't show up, I became frantic and started calling the HP, hospitals, base, etc.

He had left on time but 4 hours after what should have been his arrival time, I knew something had gone terribly wrong.

At about 10 pm that night, I received a call from HP, that his Jeep had hydroplaned off a road and was in the swamp, but that he had managed to escape, and flag down someone in the rain.

When I arrived on the scene, my son's Jeep was not submerged (but nearly so) and there would have been no way anyone could have visually seen him in that pouring deluge of rain, even if they would have driven by and were looking. Thank God he was in a jeep as he was able to escape through the rolled down window.

He was beaten up but nothing was broken. But what if he had been knocked out? Or couldn't get out a door or window? Or bitten by a water moccasin? Or attacked by an alligator?

I keep thinking about this . . .

Old 10-23-2012, 08:53 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,477,105 times
Quote:
I am very concerned as well.

I fear their car is in a swamp.

My oldest son was in the military, stationed at Ft. Jackson at the time, I believe, and we were at a conference in Kiawah. He got leave so he could come visit us over the weekend. A terrible storm had come up, and it was raining hard for hours, accompanied by strong winds.When he didn't show up, I became frantic and started calling the HP, hospitals, base, etc.

He had left on time but 4 hours after what should have been his arrival time, I knew something had gone terribly wrong.

At about 10 pm that night, I received a call from HP, that his Jeep had hydroplaned off a road and was in the swamp, but that he had managed to escape, and flag down someone in the rain.

When I arrived on the scene, my son's Jeep was not submerged (but nearly so) and there would have been no way anyone could have visually seen him in that pouring deluge of rain, even if they would have driven by and were looking. Thank God he was in a jeep as he was able to escape through the rolled down window.

He was beaten up but nothing was broken. But what if he had been knocked out? Or couldn't get out a door or window? Or bitten by a water moccasin? Or attacked by an alligator?

I keep thinking about this . . .

Our minds work the same way my friend.

I am very concerned that these two ran off the road somewhere and ended up where no one could easily spot the car

I do hope they are found very soon, as I cannot imagine the agony their families are going through.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:35 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,357,804 times
It's such a strange story. So many inconsistencies. They left the party at 1:30 and at 2:45 they were almost at the beach? No way.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
It's such a strange story. So many inconsistencies. They left the party at 1:30 and at 2:45 they were almost at the beach? No way.
How did they establish that time line? Pings (which include how many mile radius)? Text (wh/ could have highly exaggerated the real distance) - "We are nearly at the beach!" meaning - we are in the state of SC and just saw a sign that said N. Myrtle Beach xx miles.

These are kids. You have to think like a teen-aged kid to backtrack and figure out where they acually were as opposed to where their exuberance might have suggested they were.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:25 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,950,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
A 2006 Pontiac has OnStar installed in it. Even if there's no active subscription, there are occasions where the GPS device can be activated remotely.
That car is right on the cusp of where GM started installing digital on-star (CDMA) instead of the one that ran on the old analog cell phone network. (AMPS) When the phone companies shutdown AMPS in 2008 all those analog on-stars stopped working. Same for similar systems installed in Mercedes and a few others.

So this may not be a way for them to be tracked or notified now.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,950,094 times
Quote:
How did they establish that time line? Pings (which include how many mile radius)? Text (wh/ could have highly exaggerated the real distance) - "We are nearly at the beach!" meaning - we are in the state of SC and just saw a sign that said N. Myrtle Beach xx miles.
The kids must have been talking euphemistically as the article states the text message was picked up by a radio tower near Rock Hill. The police think they were someone near I-77 S around exit 44. I've been to this area quite often as I like to boat on Lake Wateree (exit 41) and it's about as remote as you can get in the central Carolinas. On the other hand, I don't see how they could get lost unless they decided to leave the interstate and head somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte