U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 PM
 
1,163 posts, read 1,960,070 times
Reputation: 1106

Advertisements

$1 billion? If the feds win, they can use that to run the government for what, 6 hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2012, 03:29 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,939,788 times
Reputation: 1272
The sad fact of the matter is the Federal Reserve will protect these banks no matter what, so it doesn't matter. Remember they create money out of thin air at your expense. As long as we are talking about civil fines, where the suit gets settled with no admission of wrong doing, then IMO they consider it a business expense. Only criminal charges for breaking the law will have an effect and so far, Obama's justice dept. has absolutely refused to bring charges against any TBTF executive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
true. But, couple that with the other fines that they are having....it might make a dent
All they do is pass the fines on to the consumer - stick with raising their credit card interest rates and slap on extra fees for so much as looking towards a teller window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 08:10 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
$1 billion? If the feds win, they can use that to run the government for what, 6 hours?
More like 60 minutes, I suspect. And money that is recovered will just go back into department coffers, probably, to cover the cost of all the litigation. I honestly do not know what "slush fund" recovered funds go into - that would be something interesting to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 08:16 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Reputation: 22369
Well, the irony is . . .Fannie Ex-CEO Franklin Raines is the person at the top of the whole damn scam. And he got out with millions in the bank and has never been prosecuted for squat.

Hits me as something really stinky when the guy who was at the top of the mortgage bundling pyramid scheme ran a gubment institution and he has managed to walk away unscathed - and very very rich.

Some of us have a long memory and I can't fathom why the DOJ doesn't.

Doesn't take much imagination to draw some lines as to who is friends with whom, allowing Fannie to be bypassed whilst private banks get the scrutiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,783 posts, read 8,409,122 times
Reputation: 4818
Mr Leveraged Buyout's "justice" department would do even less against these guys and go further towards deregulation. The funny thing is at this point, all the TBTFs fail to meet anyone's reasonable definition of a "bank". They aren't banks anymore.

These lawsuits (this is only 1 of many) all essentially stem back to Countrywide, which BAC was forced to absorb under the brain trust that decided that Lehman should fail. It's despicable and the wrong people always end up taking the brunt of any action. To borrow a quote from Mr. Taibbi, nothing will change until the right executives are thrown in pound ya in the arse jail. Civil suits penalizing magic pixels of fiat won't stop anything... heck, this news story breaks and the BAC stock barely moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 09:03 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Mr Leveraged Buyout's "justice" department would do even less against these guys and go further towards deregulation. The funny thing is at this point, all the TBTFs fail to meet anyone's reasonable definition of a "bank". They aren't banks anymore.

These lawsuits (this is only 1 of many) all essentially stem back to Countrywide, which BAC was forced to absorb under the brain trust that decided that Lehman should fail. It's despicable and the wrong people always end up taking the brunt of any action. To borrow a quote from Mr. Taibbi, nothing will change until the right executives are thrown in pound ya in the arse jail. Civil suits penalizing magic pixels of fiat won't stop anything... heck, this news story breaks and the BAC stock barely moves.
Excellent points. The whole thing makes me ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,102,313 times
Reputation: 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I think then, and only then, will the shenanigans stop.

If we treated white collar crime as we do street crime, white collar crime would drastically decrease.
Completely agree. But, like Rational said, one step at a time.

I know that in my experience, the only way I can control a conversation (I work at a bank and work with financial advisers) many times is to quote the Frank-Dodd act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2012, 02:51 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,939,788 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
...... is to quote the Frank-Dodd act.
LOL. Barney Frank & Chris Dodd. Two individuals who have many many ties to the finance industry. Both are responsible for every piece of legislation that led to TBTF banks in the first place. The act which you quote and holds their name does nothing to change what is wrong with the finance industry. Dodd for his part slipped legislation into TARP that allowed big bankster bonuses to continue to be paid out to executives of failing banks all at taxpayer expense and Frank did nothing to stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2012, 06:41 AM
 
1,163 posts, read 1,960,070 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
LOL. Barney Frank & Chris Dodd. Two individuals who have many many ties to the finance industry. Both are responsible for every piece of legislation that led to TBTF banks in the first place. The act which you quote and holds their name does nothing to change what is wrong with the finance industry. Dodd for his part slipped legislation into TARP that allowed big bankster bonuses to continue to be paid out to executives of failing banks all at taxpayer expense and Frank did nothing to stop it.
All you need to remember about politics, elections, legislation, etc: The banks always win. The end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top