U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 08:35 PM

9 posts, read 6,792 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a single mother of two (14 & 10) also I new lpn that currently lives in Kentucky. I'm originally from Illinois and the slow pace plus lack of activities for my children here in Kentucky has me feeling like this isn't the place for us. My son 14 is really into football and is a really good kid so I would need a really good school for him to attend. My daughter 9 is very creative she plays the volin & she's an young aspiring fashion designer. I'm looking for a nice family oriented neighborhood with great schools, I'm budgeting about 1300 max for rent and apartments are fine with me. I've worked in elderly care settings for 10+ year's so I'm not that nurse that's scared of nursing homes I actually love my little elderly people .
I love to show my kids new and different things, I love the fact that Charlotte is within driving distance of many vacation areas, as well as for my son who will go to college in 3yrs theirs plenty of options to where I'll just be a highway ride away. So please any suggestions on areas (Ballantyne etc) high schools (Ardry Kell vs S.Meck) lpn jobs and anything else you think I should know......

Thank you all in advance ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,193,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely183 View Post
Hello,

I'm a single mother of two (14 & 10) also I new lpn that currently lives in Kentucky. I'm originally from Illinois and the slow pace plus lack of activities for my children here in Kentucky has me feeling like this isn't the place for us. My son 14 is really into football and is a really good kid so I would need a really good school for him to attend. My daughter 9 is very creative she plays the volin & she's an young aspiring fashion designer. I'm looking for a nice family oriented neighborhood with great schools, I'm budgeting about 1300 max for rent and apartments are fine with me. I've worked in elderly care settings for 10+ year's so I'm not that nurse that's scared of nursing homes I actually love my little elderly people .
I love to show my kids new and different things, I love the fact that Charlotte is within driving distance of many vacation areas, as well as for my son who will go to college in 3yrs theirs plenty of options to where I'll just be a highway ride away. So please any suggestions on areas (Ballantyne etc) high schools (Ardry Kell vs S.Meck) lpn jobs and anything else you think I should know......

Hello lovely, welcome to the forum

There's good news and bad news...

LPN's are not real common in Charlotte anymore. The largest hospitals have gone to RN's for the most part.

However, since you don't mind nursing homes you may indeed have good luck with finding a job. In addition, consider applying at the county jail, they employ LPN's I believe.

The bad news on housing is that you can't really find a house in your price range in the best school assignment areas. The good news is, you will probably be able to find an apt in that price range

Look at places like Raefield Village, Marquis at Carmel Commons, Providence Court, Providence Park, Promenade Park, Camden Stonecrest, and my two personal faves - Cheswyck at Ballantyne and Plantation Park.

Best of luck!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 PM

6,269 posts, read 9,978,517 times
Quote:
Hello,

My wife is an LPN from Kentucky (Ashland/Boyd County to be exact). We moved down about 5 years ago. She's been employed the entire time. She first did the Nursing home thing on nights and weekends. That pays LPNs about $19 per hour with a weekend night shift diff of $3-$4 per hour. For whatever reason, the nursing homes in suburban communities such as Matthews and Huntersville pay better than the nursing homes within Charlotte's city limits (so be aware of that).

There is also nursing at the county jails as well as drug rehab nursing. These jobs usually pay between $17-$22 per hour based on experience. As a single LPN with two kids (assuming that you don't have much saved up, but you very well could) you'd be in a two-job situation. We're talking about working one place during the week and another place on weekends. The life of an LPN in Charlotte isn't quite as bad as some folks would have you think it is. However, it's not even close to what some RNs can earn in this city. Then again, there aren't too many 2-year degrees out there that pay $45 per hour in some cases (though most higher paid RNs have 4 year educations).

So if I were you, I'd take the advice that my wife did not take from me 6 years ago. Here's that advice; "Honey, go get your RN before we move to Charlotte".

Old 10-25-2012, 04:25 AM

Thanks for your responses!!!

@urbancharlotte...My plan originally was to complete my RN first before my move, but I'm unhappy here in Kentucky I don't think I could take it any longer. Lbvs!!! I've looked into a few schools so I do plan on starting my RN as soon as me and the kids get settled.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:54 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,678,436 times
Quote:
Thanks for your responses!!!

@urbancharlotte...My plan originally was to complete my RN first before my move, but I'm unhappy here in Kentucky I don't think I could take it any longer. Lbvs!!! I've looked into a few schools so I do plan on starting my RN as soon as me and the kids get settled.
I have no idea what LPNs are paid in counties other than Mecklenburg, but I would suggest looking at these.
If the wages are only $2hr or so lower , then it would be worth it because you'll save on rent and (although I know you're going to be renting now) property taxes.
You will get a smaller 3 bed home for your price (and appartments will be around $1000 maybe) , maybe in a community with a pool etc, or maybe in one of the older areas that have larger yards, more trees,less cookie cutter etc, but still very close to schools /activities etc.
I can only really talk about Iredell county and specifically thinking about Mooresville for the schools.
2 school systems are Iredell Statesville schools which serve the area of Mooresville West of the I77, and Mooresville Graded school district which serves the city of Mooresville proper.
What sort of activities are you looking for?

The towns surrounding Mooresville are Statesville to the North and then Davidson and Cornelius are within a 10-15 minute drive.

Cultural/outdoor etc etc.

Here's a thread that might help.
Things to do near Cornelius

Also check out Lincoln , Cabarrus and Gaston county schools.
Out of those Cabarrus probably offers the most to do-particularly around Concord.

Personally, as a family of 2 adults and 1 17yr old living on 1 wage of $24 per hour and paying 401K and almost $550 per month for health insurance and $130 per month car insurance, I think that you could survive on the $21 per hour WITH shift differential.
Of course it depends on your lifestyle requirements.
Good Luck!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:31 AM

21,811 posts, read 27,068,128 times
There are quite a few nursing homes in Gaston County. You might also want to look at Kings Mountain. It's in Cleveland & Gaston Counties. School districts are by county, though, so you'd want to be on the Cleveland County side.. Cleveland County has hospices in Kings Mountain & Shelby. They employ RNs & LPNs. I would not suggest living west of Kings Mountain if you plan to commute to school in Charlotte.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 PM

Thank you all for your input, over the next six months I plan on finalizing an area so I thank you all for the heads up on where to start my journey!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or