U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:04 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueLagoo View Post
Or, we could do what they do in states like Ca, make an HOV toll lane. I'd gladly pay.
Write your legislators. Maybe you can figure out how to come up with the cash to construct that extra toll lane as it takes years for tolls to "pay back" the cost of construction and maintenance.

Or maybe you just meant convert one of the existing lanes to HOV toll? Yeah, that will really help congested traffic move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 08:07 AM

67 posts, read 64,348 times
Snarky this morning.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Snarky this morning.
Probably, lol.

Just tired of complaints that cost money this state doesn't have. And not especially jubilant at my taxes going up to accommodate poor planning.

Even though we would all agree your complaint IS valid, the funding and how it would be raised, is the problem.

I will drink more coffee and meanwhile, offer you an apology for being snarky and hope you will accept it.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:23 AM

67 posts, read 64,348 times
No worries. I figured you needed a stretch and some caffeine. Your responses weren't like you.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
No worries. I figured you needed a stretch and some caffeine. Your responses weren't like you.
Thank you for being so gracious.

To be honest, I have voiced my disgust over the highways here many times, as have numerous others.

I just don't want to ante up the money to do what the state should have overseen with better stewardship 20-30 years ago, when decisions to expand and develop highways around Charlotte were bypassed (if you will) in favor of other projects in other areas of the state.

I resent how much money this city/county sends to Raleigh and how the decisions have been made as to how much benefit we receive in infrastructure improvement.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,203,193 times
Yeah, I-77 is atrocious. Then you hit the SC border through SC and it's like you're in heaven. I don't see how 77 can be widened though, its so tight and alot of businesses are built right off the highway

Old 10-27-2012, 09:33 AM

601 posts, read 789,424 times
Even though it seems like everyone is against it, but this is way I want the Red Line to be constructed. It unfortunately had a low estimate of ridership, but would have helped with reliving some of the traffic of I-77. I think widening I-77 should eventually happen too, but rapid transit should also be another option for riders to take.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Yeah, I-77 is atrocious. Then you hit the SC border through SC and it's like you're in heaven. I don't see how 77 can be widened though, its so tight and alot of businesses are built right off the highway
At the time I-77 was planned and constructed (1960s) planners never envisioned the enormous growth of metro Charlotte. In 1970, Charlotte had less than 250K residents (see 1970 census).

Charlotte is truly a boom town and so much of this region's infrastructure is simply behind the curve with demand.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:42 AM

21,876 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thank you for being so gracious.

To be honest, I have voiced my disgust over the highways here many times, as have numerous others.

I just don't want to ante up the money to do what the state should have overseen with better stewardship 20-30 years ago, when decisions to expand and develop highways around Charlotte were bypassed (if you will) in favor of other projects in other areas of the state.

I resent how much money this city/county sends to Raleigh and how the decisions have been made as to how much benefit we receive in infrastructure improvement.
You're right, Ani, & the dung is about to hit the fan. They're about to have no choice but to deal with it. Remember the thread that I posted that showed that next year Iredell, Lincoln, & Cleveland counties all join metro planning groups. NCDOT created hellacious backups with resurfacing projects through Kings Mountain on I 85. A while ago I noticed that they had meter wires stretched across I 85 measuring traffic flow.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:06 AM

3,748 posts, read 3,265,475 times
Maybe it's time people move closer to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or