U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,202,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Maybe it's time people move closer to the city.
People are moving to cities in the first time in years, faster than the suburbs. They're still going to be traffic problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're right, Ani, & the dung is about to hit the fan. They're about to have no choice but to deal with it. Remember the thread that I posted that showed that next year Iredell, Lincoln, & Cleveland counties all join metro planning groups. NCDOT created hellacious backups with resurfacing projects through Kings Mountain on I 85. A while ago I noticed that they had meter wires stretched across I 85 measuring traffic flow.
I agree, SB. Folks better be paying attention to what goes on in the General Assembly.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:52 PM

67 posts, read 64,332 times
Quote:
Oh how I wish I lived closer to my kids' school. Problem is, I have a husband who was raised in boxes (NYC apartment living) and when we moved down here he wanted to over-compensate. Well, that's pretty much what we did....
I'm trying to convince my parents to buy a place in town so we have a crash pad

Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 PM

239 posts, read 310,232 times
I understand everyone's point, I really do! You all have valid points!
But on the flip side, can anyone tell me any MID/large size city that does NOT have traffic problems???

I am from Houston, in which has one of the best freeway systems in the country, I believe. With most of the freeways being NO LESS than 4 lanes.
I-10 goes directly through the middle of Houston (from east to west)
I-45 goes through north houston down through Southeast houston
I-59 goes through northwest houston down through southwest houston
610 LOOP that goes around most of Houston inner city
Beltway 8 LOOP that goes around the city limits of Houston
288 runs from downtown through South houston
290 runs from near downtown through Northwest Houston

What am I trying to say? Houston has a freeway for EVERY side of town (northeast, southwest, south, west, southwest, etc etc etc), most are 4-5 lanes, and still has ALOT of traffic. Houston's metro population is not that much more than ATLANTA's metro population, yet the metro area of houston is about twice as large. So you do the comparison.

Traffic depends on MANY different factors. Not only freeway systems, but also the DRIVERS themselves. Lots of people dont drive well, and you would surprised how one person who applies BRAKES could have an effect lasting for MILES. That's not something you can control.
You also have accidents, stales, onlookers, bootleneckers, tail-riders , etc that also have a very large effect on traffic flow.

What am I trying to say. RELAX. Traffic is NOT an issue that is going to be resolved for ANY mid/large size city. its part of the package when you move to a city of decent size. Not big city in this country is ever gonna be free of traffic problems.
And I for one think Charlotte traffic is not all that bad, compared to Houston, Dallas, LA, Atl, Miami, etc.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:17 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,876 times
The NCDOT isn't going to put a high priority on widening I-77 between downtown & SC just so it is easier to commute to Ft. Mill & York county. It would be a huge expenditure for not that much benefit especially now that thru traffic can take I-485.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:53 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The NCDOT isn't going to put a high priority on widening I-77 between downtown & SC just so it is easier to commute to Ft. Mill & York county. It would be a huge expenditure for not that much benefit especially now that thru traffic can take I-485.
I think most people in this thread are referring to 77 in the Lake Norman area.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:34 PM

21,856 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I agree, SB. Folks better be paying attention to what goes on in the General Assembly.
I was paying very close attention to NCDOT, Ani. A lot of projects were scheduled in Cleveland County. Some had been on the docket for 20 years or more. When Bev told them to find the money to finish 485, guess where a big chunk came from. . .yup, Cleveland County. . .Not someplace that has had money poured into it in the east. (This is like how NJDOT operates, except they ignore the countryside.) Well, now this is going to come home to roost.

They scheduled that roadwork done on I 85 during the day & had backups well into Gastonia some days (duh! there's people out here & a good number of folks commute up from Blacksburg.) Since we're going into the Gaston urban planning group next year, I suspect that the Gaston folks told them they'd better check things out. I don't suspect that the Gaston folks were pleased with the back ups during the construction or everytime there's an accident. The only other stretch of I 85 that is 2 lanes is that black hole between Petersburg & Henderson.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:47 PM

29,694 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Quote:
1. All the jobs aren't close in to the city; Ballantyne, University City, and suburban Lancaster and York counties are job centers in their own right.

2. You can't ignore the quality of the schools. The best ones are further out.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:43 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,202,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
1. All the jobs aren't close in to the city; Ballantyne, University City, and suburban Lancaster and York counties are job centers in their own right.

2. You can't ignore the quality of the schools. The best ones are further out.
Two Charlotte companies just moved to York County...York County is probably going to get the most growth out of businesses in the near future in the Charlotte Metro because it's good schools, a hop and a skip away, plus low tax incentives

Old 10-28-2012, 05:56 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think most people in this thread are referring to 77 in the Lake Norman area.
So What?

Furthermore you must not have read the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or