Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:54 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
So What?

Furthermore you must not have read the topic.
Well the Lake Norman area is still NC so to your previous point that would benefit the state.

Yes I did read the topic. No one in this thread specifically complained about the traffic on 77 south to SC. In fact the only mention of SC was someone saying 77 is like "heaven" once you get to SC, although he/she may have been saying that the entirety of 77 was bad.

But if you were not replying to anyone and just stating that opinion, then yes that is still relevant to the overall discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
1. All the jobs aren't close in to the city; Ballantyne, University City, and suburban Lancaster and York counties are job centers in their own right.

2. You can't ignore the quality of the schools. The best ones are further out.
1. He's obviously not referring to those who have already located close to their jobs. The thread title after all is about traffic, and the discussion revolves largely around commuting.

2. If all those people brought their kids back to inner city schools, those inner city schools would be top performers. There's no magic force around suburban schools that helps them perform... it's just the students.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:16 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Maybe if we upgrade from Bev to Gov. Pat, the Charlotte area might get a few of those precious Highway Dollars and they can do something with I-77 that will benefit everyone.

I'd much rather see the money put there rather than into these current pie in the sky projects that benefit a few; such as Lexus lanes on the interstate or the Red Line.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:24 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well the Lake Norman area is still NC so to your previous point that would benefit the state.
Where did I say there would be NO benefit? I don't think you read these postings before you respond.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:34 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
I know you didn't say there would be no benefit. But widening 77 north of Charlotte would benefit NC a lot more than widening it to SC.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
For local commuters, a rail service would be smart when looking towards the future. There will always be lots of traffic on I-77, but many are truckers and travelers going through the area. We should be concerned about locals having an alternative way to get into town in addition to express buses. Again, it was a very stupid move to waste money on the blue line going to the university. It is nice to have like the trolly but totally not feasible. Mayor Fox seems to be out of touch with certain sectors of our population.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
For local commuters, a rail service would be smart when looking towards the future. There will always be lots of traffic on I-77, but many are truckers and travelers going through the area. We should be concerned about locals having an alternative way to get into town in addition to express buses.
We should not throw millions of dollars away to build a rail that a few hundred people may ride on certain hours of the day when the same dollars could move alot more traffic through the area 24/7 on I-77.

Express busses would get you to work quicker on an improved I-77 and they would cost a heckuva alot less to maintain than the train stock, the rails, and all of the other taxpayer subsidized costs associated with the "Red Line Pipe Dream Choo-Choo".

Old 10-28-2012, 11:23 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Maybe if we upgrade from Bev to Gov. Pat, the Charlotte area might get a few of those precious Highway Dollars and they can do something with I-77 that will benefit everyone.
widening 77 doesn't "benefit everyone".

it benefits the suburbanites, who already tax our resources at a much higher clip. it certainly is not a benefit to me, all i get is more car exhaust to breathe... thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather pay for the train. this city and state doesnt exist just to make life easier for the suburbs.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
We should not throw millions of dollars away to build a rail that a few hundred people may ride on certain hours of the day when the same dollars could move alot more traffic through the area 24/7 on I-77.

Express busses would get you to work quicker on an improved I-77 and they would cost a heckuva alot less to maintain than the train stock, the rails, and all of the other taxpayer subsidized costs associated with the "Red Line Pipe Dream Choo-Choo".
You have to think of the future. In 30 years Charlotte will have a population nearing 4 million. I-77 will not be able to handle the traffic. I am willing to pay a tax for such a logical investment as rail service. My point is that we are wasting 1 billion on the blue line that goes through industrial areas and areas of low employment for some idiotic reason. We can't invest that kind of money to ensure that students can go to uptown get drunk and have a ride home. It is nice but not sensible. It would be more sensible to run a line off of the southbound rail up East Blvd. towards Southpark. Lots of more sensible options. I believe the red line will happen when costs go up and it will end up costing more. We should do it now.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:13 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
In the case of the blue line, the people voted to be taxed specifically for this plan in 1998 and then again in 2007. I'm all for politicians following the will of the people so I have no issue with the Blue Line. This is what the people want and very rarely to they get a chance to vote like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte