U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 AM

21,966 posts, read 27,247,096 times

Advertisements

This week's Kings Mountain Herald has an article detailing the effort of the Kings Mountain chapter of the DAR's effort to erect a monument at the battlefield to honor the African Americans who fought at the battle. At least 12 African Americans fought, but they have only found the names of 5, Esaias Bowman, John Broody, Andrew Ferguson, Primus, & Ismael Titus.

It's possible that the identities of some of the others might be in family papers or records. Has anyone run across any such information?

My question is not just aimed at natives. The Battle of Kings Mountain was mentioned in a pension application filed by one of my Quaker ancestors.

Here's the article. I don't know how long the link will be good. DAR promotes monument to honor African-American patriots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,762,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This week's Kings Mountain Herald has an article detailing the effort of the Kings Mountain chapter of the DAR's effort to erect a monument at the battlefield to honor the African Americans who fought at the battle. At least 12 African Americans fought, but they have only found the names of 5, Esaias Bowman, John Broody, Andrew Ferguson, Primus, & Ismael Titus.

It's possible that the identities of some of the others might be in family papers or records. Has anyone run across any such information?

My question is not just aimed at natives. The Battle of Kings Mountain was mentioned in a pension application filed by one of my Quaker ancestors.

Here's the article. I don't know how long the link will be good. DAR promotes monument to honor African-American patriots

fascinating, thanks!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:16 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:

Interesting info

Hope they are able to identify the other patriots.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
fascinating, thanks!
You're welcome. It's a long shot, but I thought that I'd ask. Over the years, I've found that you just can't have too much input on this time period. I've dug into some of the pension files & have found some fascinating tidbits of information.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Interesting info

Hope they are able to identify the other patriots.
loves, I doubt that they'll ever get to 100%. I do hope that more people can be verified.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:02 PM
NDL

3,185 posts, read 3,642,812 times
Quote:
Thank you for the link I thinks it's fantastic that they want to honor those who fought.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thank you for the link I thinks it's fantastic that they want to honor those who fought.
You're welcome. I think that it's great, too. I was talking with the regent at the Gateway Festival & told her that Kings Mountain was mentioned in my ancestor's applicaton. I emailed a transcription to her & while it can't be determined that he was there, there is detail of what was going on, regionally, so maybe it will help with something.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:24 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,762,719 times
Quote:
You're welcome. It's a long shot, but I thought that I'd ask. Over the years, I've found that you just can't have too much input on this time period. I've dug into some of the pension files & have found some fascinating tidbits of information.
I agree with you. In fact there's virtual NO input or dissemination of information on this topic. Conventional teaching is that blacks were "freed" and didn't participate actively when in fact in very many instances were the key fighters in many battles during the civil war. Out of all the information on the subject I'd say less then 2% is actually known. As a result when this topic comes up it generates a lot of rolling of the eyes. 200,000+ free and former slave troops died during the civil war. That's a lot of blood spilled by *everyone*. Interestingly enough there was black who fought on the confederate side too (towards the end when the south just need soliders and basically ignored the edict prohibiting slaves from fighting)

If you really want the serious real deal on this topic (and I LOVE the civil war time period), visit the African American Civil War Memorial Museum in Washington, the Curator Hari Jones is BRILLIANT. I was there for 5 hours just glued to the displays and listening and discussing that time period.

Check it out...

Old 10-28-2012, 10:43 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
I agree with you. In fact there's virtual NO input or dissemination of information on this topic. Conventional teaching is that blacks were "freed" and didn't participate actively when in fact in very many instances were the key fighters in many battles during the civil war. Out of all the information on the subject I'd say less then 2% is actually known. As a result when this topic comes up it generates a lot of rolling of the eyes. 200,000+ free and former slave troops died during the civil war. That's a lot of blood spilled by *everyone*. Interestingly enough there was black who fought on the confederate side too (towards the end when the south just need soliders and basically ignored the edict prohibiting slaves from fighting)

If you really want the serious real deal on this topic (and I LOVE the civil war time period), visit the African American Civil War Memorial Museum in Washington, the Curator Hari Jones is BRILLIANT. I was there for 5 hours just glued to the displays and listening and discussing that time period.

Check it out...
I am so going to take your suggestion! I have never heard of this museum and it sounds fascinating!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Check it out...
There's a huge amount of information about the Civil War that is online. It's generally overlooked that the native guard from Louisiana served at the beginning of the war, prior to the Union taking New Orleans. Those men then signed up for the Union. They don't tell you in school about the blacks or the women who fought, or the Cherokee regiments.

There are gaping holes in the information during the Revolutionary War period. So many people were illiterate. . . The pension files provide a look into that time period. You didn't have to be able to read or write, just put your mark at the end of the clerk's transcription. People & places are mentioned in the files. Some families are lucky enough to have records that have passed down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte