U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:25 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb25 View Post
My husband and I are are considering a move to the Charlotte area - probably living in Ballantyne or Weddington/Waxhaw. We have been to Charlotte several times and really like the area, but we are concerned about "fitting in" and making friends here. We are from the Pacific Northwest, so a move to the East Coast and the South will be a big change for us. We are both very liberal in our political viewpoints and aren't very religious (though we are not outspoken about these views). Will that cause problems? Would we be the only family in the neighborhood not going to church on a Sunday morning? Will any of this cause our elementary school aged children to not fit-in with other kids?

I appreciate any thoughts/insights anyone has to share about this.
This is only an opinion for which you requested. Personally, I wouldn't want you as a neighbor. You have have projected a prejudged concept formulated in your mind that you might be moving to a land of narrow minded southern country bumpkins, all 2 million of them. You may reject those that do not share your liberal agenda and there are plenty of us around that lean to the conservative side. Fact is, unless you live in Seattle or Portland, you live in a place much smaller than Charlotte, and your current neighbors will likely be much less enlightened or sophisticated than what you will find here. North Carolina will likely be a red state again in November which may bother you and make you want to rethink your relocation plans. If you are apprehensive, I would consider moving to Asheville which has been called San Francisco south. But it is still a southern city. If one is negative, he/she will not like it anywhere outside of their little corner of the world or confort zone for which they reside. It takes an open mind to adjust to a diverse population for which we have.

"Fitting in" LOL!! Read up on Charlotte and you might find your own answers. I do not recommend the Lake Norman area, very rednecky.

Last edited by vindaloo; 10-27-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 04:35 PM

For transplants that live here and whine constantly, go away! This is our home. If you don't like the way we live, find a better place. Obviously you haven't been able to do that. If you are insulted that some old lady asked you to attend her church, get over it. It was meant to be a good gesture. Try a bit of kindness yourself and accept others for what they are. That doesn't have to work one way you know. Thanks to the rudness of so many new Charlotteans from other places, we are not the warm, hospitable, charming, southern rose that we were.

After a hundred years of whining by people from other places, you would think that they would tell their families and friends to stop coming. But they dont. THEY KEEP COMING!!!!!

Old 10-27-2012, 06:27 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,106,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
For transplants that live here and whine constantly, go away! This is our home. If you don't like the way we live, find a better place. Obviously you haven't been able to do that. If you are insulted that some old lady asked you to attend her church, get over it. It was meant to be a good gesture. Try a bit of kindness yourself and accept others for what they are. That doesn't have to work one way you know. Thanks to the rudness of so many new Charlotteans from other places, we are not the warm, hospitable, charming, southern rose that we were.

After a hundred years of whining by people from other places, you would think that they would tell their families and friends to stop coming. But they dont. THEY KEEP COMING!!!!!
Says the one that is neither a Southerner nor originally FROM North Carolina (or even Charlotte, for that matter!)

I have been told, quite adamantly, that if one is not born here, one is not a Southerner, no matter how long one lives here. Hence, I quite proudly proclaim what I am: a midwesterner that is a true city girl.

On behalf of my Southern friends, and, indeed, I do have some, I think that most would be grateful if you were true to yourself and not take on an identity that you have not earned by birthright.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 PM

35,121 posts, read 40,013,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb25 View Post
My husband and I are are considering a move to the Charlotte area - probably living in Ballantyne or Weddington/Waxhaw. We have been to Charlotte several times and really like the area, but we are concerned about "fitting in" and making friends here. We are from the Pacific Northwest, so a move to the East Coast and the South will be a big change for us. We are both very liberal in our political viewpoints and aren't very religious (though we are not outspoken about these views). Will that cause problems? Would we be the only family in the neighborhood not going to church on a Sunday morning? Will any of this cause our elementary school aged children to not fit-in with other kids?

I appreciate any thoughts/insights anyone has to share about this.

What a silly question, you and your children can "fit in" anywhere you choose to IF you choose to "fit in". If you choose not to "fit in" then you won't, it is that simple and you generally don't even have to change who you are, the clothes you wear or your personality, you just have to be you.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I don't know where these bible thumpers are... it's a stereotype you read often in the LI forums about folks who relocate to NC and have to "put up with" the heavy church pressure. I just don't see it - and I supposedly live in what some consider a "remote" area that is rumoured to be more conservative. I just have not seen it in my years here. That's not to say people don't go to church or anything - they do. Yet, they did on LI just as much as they do here from my experience... the very same semi part time Catholic attitude.
I do feel it is only fair to mention that I have friends who have moved here from LI, NYC, NY, NJ . . . and I have heard some crazy stories from them about how they have been treated since moving here.

In addition, these stories all have had to do with children. Folks without children or living in neighborhorhoods with older, mature residents would never run into this type of thing that I am going to relate.

A friend of mine told me that one of her neighbors found out that they were Catholic (rather lapsed Catholic, lol, but cradle Catholic) . . . and next thing she knew, her daughter came home upset b/c the neighbor's child informed my friend's child that they could not play together and the reason was b/c she was Catholic. The neighbor's family evidently are fundamentalists who have some wacked out idea left over from several centuries ago, when the Pope persecuted Protestants.

I am so serious. I was shocked. I explained to my friend that there are all sorts of folks out there and this is not typical Southern behavior. i have never known anyone to prohibit their children from playing with other kids except 30 years ago, when I experienced a situation where the family would not allow their children to even participate in school activities that they considered "pagan" and they were not allowed to Trick or Treat on Halloween. This has everything to do with the individual family and nothing to do with Southerners, in general.

The vast majority of my friends who have moved here from "elsewhere" have not had such off the wall odd things happen, but there *have been* some snippy comments from Southerners who felt the newcomers were overstepping some mysterious boundary (usually to do with soical customs). I am sure these types of things DO happen, but infrequently. And my newcomer friends have created good lives for themselves and are happy they moved here.

SO I see how some of these stories will be relayed to others "back home" and people can be apprehensive about moving here. If the situation had been reversed and my child had been told that he/she couldn't play with another neighborhood child b/c of religious affiliation, I would have been relaying that story as well. And it would have given me a very bad impression of Southerners.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Says the one that is neither a Southerner nor originally FROM North Carolina (or even Charlotte, for that matter!)
Says the one that jumps in as soon as she can insult southerners in any manner. You obviously have no clue about what I said about where I am from, lived, and worked. But, you are WRONG again.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:18 AM

14 posts, read 15,550 times
[quote=anifani821;26701224]I do feel it is only fair to mention that I have friends who have moved here from LI, NYC, NY, NJ . . . and I have heard some crazy stories from them about how they have been treated since moving here.

In addition, these stories all have had to do with children. Folks without children or living in neighborhorhoods with older, mature residents would never run into this type of thing that I am going to relate.

A friend of mine told me that one of her neighbors found out that they were Catholic (rather lapsed Catholic, lol, but cradle Catholic) . . . and next thing she knew, her daughter came home upset b/c the neighbor's child informed my friend's child that they could not play together and the reason was b/c she was Catholic. The neighbor's family evidently are fundamentalists who have some wacked out idea left over from several centuries ago, when the Pope persecuted Protestants.

I am so serious. I was shocked. I explained to my friend that there are all sorts of folks out there and this is not typical Southern behavior. i have never known anyone to prohibit their children from playing with other kids except 30 years ago, when I experienced a situation where the family would not allow their children to even participate in school activities that they considered "pagan" and they were not allowed to Trick or Treat on Halloween. This has everything to do with the individual family and nothing to do with Southerners, in general."]]]]

I worked with a woman who had these same attitudes. The funny part she wasn't Southern at all but from up North. She was Pentecostal and they don't even believe in putting up Christmas decorations etc. Southerners for the most part very courteous to people but like everywhere else there are the bad ones. Also how you treat them will be how they treat you back. If you move to the South with the idea that Southerners are stupid, inbred hicks who all live in Mayberry don't be surprised if you get slammed down. Don't worry about fitting in because if you try to fit in than you aren't being who you really are. This country has enough fake people in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or