Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times

Advertisements

We moved here from a melting pot (the DC area) and we don't attend church and we haven't had any issues. Our neighborhood and those around us north of Charlotte in Concord (Cabarrus county) is full of transplants from other places. I don't think you will have any issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 09:03 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
If you move to ballantyne or weddington you won't be living among many southerners, so no worries there.

How do you get along with folks from buffalo and LI?
I don't find this completely true... or at least not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. If you lived in the area, dealt with the parents at the schools, and meet folks via youth sports you find that it's much more of a blend than people who don't live down here think.

As an example, my son's baseball team out of Weddington has 2 native life long Charlotteans, 1 from Missouri who moved to the area 10+ years ago, 2 from LI, 1 from Westchester, 2 from CA, 1 from OH, and 1 from FL. This is a real life example (albeit anecdotal) as opposed to the "everyone I meet is from Buffalo or LI".

Old 10-26-2012, 09:30 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I don't find this completely true... or at least not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. If you lived in the area, dealt with the parents at the schools, and meet folks via youth sports you find that it's much more of a blend than people who don't live down here think.

As an example, my son's baseball team out of Weddington has 2 native life long Charlotteans, 1 from Missouri who moved to the area 10+ years ago, 2 from LI, 1 from Westchester, 2 from CA, 1 from OH, and 1 from FL. This is a real life example (albeit anecdotal) as opposed to the "everyone I meet is from Buffalo or LI".
I didn't intend for my statement to be taken literally. Of course I realize that there is the blend of which you attest to.

But the OP sounds fearful of being stuck with a bunch snake handling bible thumper neighbors.

Although I don't think that's a realistic concern in any largish modern city, it's certainly less so in the suburban areas. And the "local" influence in those areas is undeniably dimished... For better or for worse is a matter of preferences and opinion.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
True Southerners are now outnumbered in Charlotte , so don't blame them.

Those people who are not knocking on your door are from other parts of the country.
Hey, now. I'm not a true Southerner and I greet every new neighbor with cookies or muffins and a card. We even went over to meet our neighbors who were living here before our house was built, and they are now some of our best friends. Not everyone from somewhere else is unfriendly! In fact, I've experienced more unfriendliness from "natives" than northerners and especially Midwesterners. There's no shortage of local a$$holes, but there are plenty of good people too. (Disclaimer: not sure about Waxhaw/Ballantyne area, as my experience there has never been great. Love living among more "normal" people here in Steele Creek. Just my experience, though!)

Old 10-26-2012, 10:01 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Hey, now. I'm not a true Southerner and I greet every new neighbor with cookies or muffins and a card. We even went over to meet our neighbors who were living here before our house was built, and they are now some of our best friends. Not everyone from somewhere else is unfriendly! In fact, I've experienced more unfriendliness from "natives" than northerners and especially Midwesterners. There's no shortage of local a$$holes, but there are plenty of good people too. (Disclaimer: not sure about Waxhaw/Ballantyne area, as my experience there has never been great. Love living among more "normal" people here in Steele Creek. Just my experience, though!)

But of course many of us Southerners continue the tradition

And I do realize people from other parts of the country know how to be friendly.

But my point was, there are just fewer Southerners than ever before in Charlotte any more so she shouldn't assume the people who are not knocking on her door to welcome her are Southerners - they are most likely transplants

Old 10-26-2012, 10:16 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I didn't intend for my statement to be taken literally. Of course I realize that there is the blend of which you attest to.

But the OP sounds fearful of being stuck with a bunch snake handling bible thumper neighbors.

Although I don't think that's a realistic concern in any largish modern city, it's certainly less so in the suburban areas. And the "local" influence in those areas is undeniably dimished... For better or for worse is a matter of preferences and opinion.
I don't know where these bible thumpers are... it's a stereotype you read often in the LI forums about folks who relocate to NC and have to "put up with" the heavy church pressure. I just don't see it - and I supposedly live in what some consider a "remote" area that is rumoured to be more conservative. I just have not seen it in my years here. That's not to say people don't go to church or anything - they do. Yet, they did on LI just as much as they do here from my experience... the very same semi part time Catholic attitude.

Granted church is big business in the Charlotte area - the contemporary christian movement (a church meeting in every HS every Sunday) plays a big role. We even tried it - the whole powerpoint projector thing and christian rock band just didn't resonate with us. Yet, never did we get pressure to continue going and still talk to these people - never once making us feel bad for choosing to remain a part time Catholic vs. staying with the Divine Light Cloudrock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Similar for us... we were welcomed to our neighborhood with food and knocks on the door by transplants and locals. So I think YMMV here. It's a terrible misnomer that only true southern people have these traditions and are friendly. It's as much a matter of how you project yourself as to what you get back. by putting yourself out there and trying to fit into your new surroundings, you'll attract the better people... don't expect to change the a$$holes, they are who they are... I don't think that label applies to where you're from unconditionally.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I know no one believes it, but I have not been asked anything about what church affiliation I may or may not have for 8 years now. During the first two years we lived here, a neighbor asked if we attended church but only after she found out I am a liturgical organist and another person at a wedding asked me if we attended church in the area. Since that time, I have had no one anywhere under any circumstances ask me about my religious affiliation, church attendance, etc unless something came up in conversation about the subject (such as my saying I had attended a funeral, for ex).

As far as my neighborhood, there are no natives living in my neighborhood currently, at least - not within the 15 houses close by. Everyone is from somewhere else. One is from Florida and one is from W. VA, so those are the closest to Southerners . . . Other than those 15 or so folks living near me, I would have no clue if someone moved in or out - so I wouldn't be showing up at their houses to meet and greet. I hope that doesn't offend people.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb25 View Post
My husband and I are are considering a move to the Charlotte area - probably living in Ballantyne or Weddington/Waxhaw. We have been to Charlotte several times and really like the area, but we are concerned about "fitting in" and making friends here. We are from the Pacific Northwest, so a move to the East Coast and the South will be a big change for us. We are both very liberal in our political viewpoints and aren't very religious (though we are not outspoken about these views). Will that cause problems? Would we be the only family in the neighborhood not going to church on a Sunday morning? Will any of this cause our elementary school aged children to not fit-in with other kids?

I appreciate any thoughts/insights anyone has to share about this.
Friend the only problem you will have is when you remind people you are apprehensive about "fitting in".We dont care as long as you dont continue to make negative comments .This isnt Mayberry in case you didnt know.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:16 PM

430 posts, read 803,972 times
I'm from the NE, now in Union County, and I was afraid to move here based on preconceived notions of the south. What everyone has said is true - many many people from other areas, not being asked what church I go to, etc. There are a lot of liberals around, but I think we are less outspoken down here. Up north (RI, Boston), I felt like it was almost assumed most people I knew were liberal. Down here, it feels the opposite to me, and as I don't like conflict or confrontation, I am very careful on what I say. But then again, I was up north in my 20s, moved down here right after having my first child and entering a new stage of life, so that could be part of it.

While I've never been asked about church, what was hardest for me was how everything is so Christian. I've seen people ask about a Christian car dealership, lots more talk about praying, lots of companies names based on religious themes (In His Image Photography, for example) those types of things. Religion is more a part of life down here than it was where I was from. And while there are a lot of people who don't attend church where I am, a lot more do here than I noticed up north. That was an adjustment. It also feels less diverse here. I don't have as many friends who are Jewish, and I don't know anyone who is Muslim, Hindi, etc.

So in conclusion, yes it is different. But it isn't bad. And as long as you aren't shoving your opinions down others throats, as you more or less said you won't, you'll be accepted and make friends. Since so many people are not from here, I have found they are quite willing to welcome new friends into their lives. It's truly a great place to live!

Old 10-26-2012, 10:26 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But my point was, there are just fewer Southerners than ever before in Charlotte any more so she shouldn't assume the people who are not knocking on her door to welcome her are Southerners - they are most likely transplants
You probably didn't want it to come off this way, but this kinda makes it sound like the word "transplant" implies they're not Southern. Albeit admittedly not as many as some parts of the country, there are also transplants in Charlotte from other parts of the South...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte