U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,419 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are are considering a move to the Charlotte area - probably living in Ballantyne or Weddington/Waxhaw. We have been to Charlotte several times and really like the area, but we are concerned about "fitting in" and making friends here. We are from the Pacific Northwest, so a move to the East Coast and the South will be a big change for us. We are both very liberal in our political viewpoints and aren't very religious (though we are not outspoken about these views). Will that cause problems? Would we be the only family in the neighborhood not going to church on a Sunday morning? Will any of this cause our elementary school aged children to not fit-in with other kids?

I appreciate any thoughts/insights anyone has to share about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 03:11 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,958,367 times
With the exception of Easter Sunday, I'd say you will run into more people in Charlotte/Mecklenburg that never step into a Church over those who do. Of course, the further you move away from the center of of Charlotte, the more conservative it gets. Therefore if this is a concern, limit your search to Mecklenburg County.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:28 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,013,956 times
If you move to ballantyne or weddington you won't be living among many southerners, so no worries there.

How do you get along with folks from buffalo and LI?

Old 10-26-2012, 04:54 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,964,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
If you move to ballantyne or weddington you won't be living among many southerners, so no worries there.

Excellent point! And don't forget about many transplants for New Jersey, Ohio & Pennsylvania.

Before moving here, I didn't fully understand the magnitude of the northern invasion of Charlotte, especially from the North East. I'll freely admit that I'd prefer more native Southerners in the area. Some of the LI/NY/NJ types take some getting used to... (Outside voice: I said "some," not all. Inside voice: Way too many of them, but not all. )

Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,132,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb25 View Post
My husband and I are are considering a move to the Charlotte area - probably living in Ballantyne or Weddington/Waxhaw. We have been to Charlotte several times and really like the area, but we are concerned about "fitting in" and making friends here. We are from the Pacific Northwest, so a move to the East Coast and the South will be a big change for us. We are both very liberal in our political viewpoints and aren't very religious (though we are not outspoken about these views). Will that cause problems? Would we be the only family in the neighborhood not going to church on a Sunday morning? Will any of this cause our elementary school aged children to not fit-in with other kids?

Not sure that you would have problems "fitting in"..like others have said, there are a lot of Northeastern folks in those areas.

But, you SURE would have a frustration problem...just read some of the more controversial threads here!

Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 AM

87 posts, read 108,744 times
Where are these northeastern types? Every Mom I meet seems to be from "the area," and not interested in even a conversation. Just getting frustrated. Most everyone is at least nice, but a play date, "Horrors". Oh, and what is up with southern hospitality. Not one person knocked our door when we moved in. Definitely like NYC!

Old 10-26-2012, 08:10 AM

569 posts, read 1,224,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb25 View Post

I'll chime in here. As others have stated most of the folks living in those areas seem to be from the Northeast. There are many transplants here, although I have not met too many from PNW area. My wife and I are both CLT natives, but our views and lifestyle are more west coast in nature. I have spent alot of time on the west coast, my family lives out there. If you are looking for areas that are more like what you are use to then might I suggest inner city. Areas such as Plaza Midwood, NoDa, Elizabeth, Madison Park, Dilworth, Commonwealth Park and Chantilly are all parts of town that in my opinion are more "west coast" in nature.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:19 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyNyC View Post
Where are these northeastern types? Every Mom I meet seems to be from "the area," and not interested in even a conversation. Just getting frustrated. Most everyone is at least nice, but a play date, "Horrors". Oh, and what is up with southern hospitality. Not one person knocked our door when we moved in. Definitely like NYC!
It would help to understand your perceived situation if we knew what area you lived in.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:46 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

Yep

Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyNyC View Post
True Southerners are now outnumbered in Charlotte , so don't blame them.

Those people who are not knocking on your door are from other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or