U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 01:30 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,644,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I can't stand helicopter parents.

Cut the chord already.
There are two extremes....both are no good IMO....

Like Ani said, kids do need to make mistakes and get cuts and bruises and stuff like that..that's the only way they'll learn.

To me its not healthy to totally be oblivious to whats going on in your kids life......you should know the kids and the parents who your kids are hanging around with. but I honestly believe that so many kids are screwed up today because of in many cases parents who don't let them breathe.....

just my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Like Ani said, kids do need to make mistakes and get cuts and bruises and stuff like that..that's the only way they'll learn.

To me its not healthy to totally be oblivious to whats going on in your kids life......you should know the kids and the parents who your kids are hanging around with. but I honestly believe that so many kids are screwed up today because of in many cases parents who don't let them breathe.....

just my .02
I'm definitely not suggesting 5 dollars on the kitchen table and a note telling your kid you will be back in 2 days.

but the mother who is out there brushing her kid off every time he gets dust on his pants is the worst. These kids tend to leave for college and get in tons of trouble.... there needs to be a balance IMO.

I'll never forget the kid who came to visit one summer and the parents wouldn't let her walk to the pool with the other kids (5 to 7 of us)... when she said "no, I'll walk" the parents said OK, then drove behind us real slow while asking over and over again "are you sure, it's not a problem, we can drive you" she was 15, finally she got in the car because she could tell we were in awe at the distrust and over protection.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 PM

2,352 posts, read 4,026,440 times
When I visit friends in Highland Creek, their kids are usually off roaming the neighborhood, walking to the park to play ball or going to the pool when it's open, with a big group of their neighborhood friends. The big kids look after the smaller kids, they show up to refuel and are off again. Or, a big group is playing video games at one house or another.

I live in the Cherry neighborhood, and the park is a gathering spot for a lot of the kids, especially if they play basketball. Some parents are usually close by, chatting on the benches. There used to be a group of kids who were into skateboarding, and they'd set up a ramp in the street & practice tricks.

When we lived in Plaza-Midwood, a lot of the kids would ride their bikes through Midwood Park & visit friends who lived close by, all usually within a few blocks of the park & often, one family would be watching over a big group of kids at the park or in their home.

I wonder if "packs" of kids like that are a temporary phenomenon - as the kids age out of kiddish things (and start driving!), does the pack disappear, or does it get replenished with younger kids? You'd have to always have new young families moving in to keep it going. Or, the same moms would need to keep having babies! Lol

Old 10-26-2012, 09:20 PM

162 posts, read 187,733 times
I nannied in Highland Creek and all the kids played outside. As the childcare provider I didn't feel comfortable, but the other parents allowed them to play outside alone. I would grab a yard chair and sit in the driveway and watch all the children play. Often times other parents would peep their heads out to make sure the kiddos were okay. Non of the children were older than 7 or 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
When I visit friends in Highland Creek, their kids are usually off roaming the neighborhood, walking to the park to play ball or going to the pool when it's open, with a big group of their neighborhood friends. The big kids look after the smaller kids, they show up to refuel and are off again. Or, a big group is playing video games at one house or another.

I live in the Cherry neighborhood, and the park is a gathering spot for a lot of the kids, especially if they play basketball. Some parents are usually close by, chatting on the benches. There used to be a group of kids who were into skateboarding, and they'd set up a ramp in the street & practice tricks.

When we lived in Plaza-Midwood, a lot of the kids would ride their bikes through Midwood Park & visit friends who lived close by, all usually within a few blocks of the park & often, one family would be watching over a big group of kids at the park or in their home.

I wonder if "packs" of kids like that are a temporary phenomenon - as the kids age out of kiddish things (and start driving!), does the pack disappear, or does it get replenished with younger kids? You'd have to always have new young families moving in to keep it going. Or, the same moms would need to keep having babies! Lol

Old 10-26-2012, 09:22 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,688,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I agree, there was at least 4 different child kidnappings yesterday, and 51 total in the past week. When it's happening left and right like this, you just keep them inside until they are 18, or later should they decide to never move out.
Lol- I would actually be more frightened that my young kids got knocked over by a car.
Parents can get a little paranoid, and remember, often if kids are abused or kidnapped it's by someone they know-maybe someone from one of the after school activities?

Our son has walked 1/2 mile to the top of the street where the school bus picks him up since he was 13.
Many of the mothers who lived maybe only 2 houses from the top of the street would take their kids in the car and pick them up. Now those kids drive to school.
It's a convenience/laziness/status issue.

We were down at our dock last weekend (DH was still swimming in the lake up until this week) It was a beautiful afternoon. There wasn't a soul out on the lake. We couldn't hear kids voices or shouts anywhere. I think people just don't go outside anymore except to go to stores or planned sports activities.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,688,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post

And I think parents should be encouraging their kids to go off to the park in a group, or ride around on their bikes etc as long as there aren't main roads to cross and it's not miles away .

Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,413,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

just my .02
ah, the helicopter moms - crack me up... and doing more harm than good for their kids in the long run.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:07 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,029,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
ah, the helicopter moms - crack me up... and doing more harm than good for their kids in the long run.
When you look at parenting across the board (not just the 'burbs) I see a lot more parents who are disengaged than smothering their kids w/ over-diligent concern.

The whole city isn't soccer moms. Take a look at the schools. There are a huge chunk of kids whose parents not only don't know where their kids are most of the time - they don't care.

Babysitting and after school "care" via gang proxy isn't that uncommon in many parts of this (and I would guess most) cities.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:23 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
When you look at parenting across the board (not just the 'burbs) I see a lot more parents who are disengaged than smothering their kids w/ over-diligent concern.

The whole city isn't soccer moms. Take a look at the schools. There are a huge chunk of kids whose parents not only don't know where their kids are most of the time - they don't care.

Babysitting and after school "care" via gang proxy isn't that uncommon in many parts of this (and I would guess most) cities.
I think the majority of kids are well behaved and have decent supervision . Most of the kids who are terrorizing the streets are repeat offenders.

I haven't heard about a ton of gang violence in Charlotte.... and I thank God this city isn't all soccer moms.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:38 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,029,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I think the majority of kids are well behaved and have decent supervision . Most of the kids who are terrorizing the streets are repeat offenders.

I haven't heard about a ton of gang violence in Charlotte.... and I thank God this city isn't all soccer moms.

The OP wants to know if kids play outside.

My point is . . . it really depends on what part of the city/burbs you are talking about as to what it means to have kids playing outside.

The discussion veered off onto helicopter parents, which are a small % of parents and probably a much smaller % than the disengaged parents.

The safety of any given neighborhood not only depends on the location of the neighborhood, it also depends on the involvement and parenting style of the parents of the children who live there.

That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte