Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 09:30 PM

4 posts, read 64,801 times

Advertisements

Retiring in about 4 years and Charlotte is on our list of places to consider as well as Dover , Delaware. Visited Charlotte late last year and looked at developments by Centex Homes. They have a new development -Woodbury that will have 4 different villages. Any pros or cons about these builders and any additional info. Would like to be near a military base to take advantage of the services as well. Thank you in advance. A New Yorker looking for a place to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 09:43 AM

19 posts, read 151,150 times
Well, Centex uses a black board sheathing material on their homes instead of OSB wood. They don't allow for much customizations in there homes, but I guess that's how they keep the prices down. There are so many good builders working down here:

America's Home Place
Arden Homes
Beazer Homes
Bonterra Builders
Brentwood Homes
Brookwood Home Builders
CedarCroft Homes
Centex Homes
Craft Homes USA
D.R. Horton
David Weekley Homes
Del Webb
Eastwood Homes
GB Homes
John Wieland Homes
K. Hovnanian Homes
KB Home
Keystone Builders
Lennar
M/I Homes
Madison Homebuilders
Mattamy Homes
McCar Homes
Mercedes Homes
Oakmont/Barber Builders
Pulte Homes
Ryan Homes
Ryland Homes
Saussy Burbank
Schumacher Homes of NC
Shea Homes - Family
Southampton Homes
Standard Pacific Homes
Toll Brothers
Westport Homes

As for Dover, DE.....I wouldn't live there if you GAVE me a home. I totally understand why you need to be near a base because I'm going thorough that with my mom and dad now. It was one of the many reasons I ended up moving here to Charlotte from Phoenix. But, seriously, Delaware is a pit of despair. Come on down to North Carolina friend. You are more then welcome here.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 64,801 times
Thank you so much for the list of builders. Is there a military base close to Charlotte?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:32 PM

380 posts, read 1,756,547 times
Where are the David Weekley homes? We used to love those houses when we lived in Houston.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:07 AM

543 posts, read 1,824,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierce View Post
Well, Centex uses a black board sheathing material on their homes instead of OSB wood. They don't allow for much customizations in there homes, but I guess that's how they keep the prices down.
Do you own a centex home?

I do and it's sheathed with osb as with any other centex development that I've seen in NC so far.

Been in our house a little over a year and haven't had any major problems.

Most of the Centex floor plans have plenty of options(sun rooms, open or closed foyers, extra baths, bonus rooms, etc) but custom designing rooms and making structural changes are not typically allowed with any predesigned model regardless of the builder.

As far as customizations once you've decided on a floorplan and options it's overwhelming the choices that are available in flooring, cabinets, fixtures, trim, etc.. Centex covers the whole spectrum from cheap to expensive for pretty much any option you want.

Just like most any other cookie cutter builder, you can buy a base model with cheap everything in it for cheap $$ or you can customize and add features until you've blown the budget.

We love our Centex home and the two year warranty is excellent. The response we've had on the few simple items that have gone wrong have been terrific. The online trouble logging system is great and usually within a day or two my issue is resolved.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 AM

536 posts, read 1,692,958 times
Thumbs up The Reserve

I live in a Centex Home too and I love it. Very few minor complaints. But there are others that do complain, and probably for legitimate reasons! I think that 2 year warranty is great too. We just went over the 1 year mark, and because of all this heat, we never realized (until the last few days) that our AC was not flowing great in two rooms. Centex was there a day later, and had the AC people out the next day. Now in hindsight they did forget to install something the AC people said, so make sure you get an independent Home Inspection.

Centex is definetly cookie cutter, but they are one of the better cookie cutters!

Old 08-16-2007, 10:37 AM

14 posts, read 45,150 times
We have been here almost 2 years and our warranty is quickly coming to a close. Yes, we have had many problems, as have many of my neighbors. That being said, I don't think that it is any different in any other large developement. I have friends in a Toll Bros. home in Marvin RIdge, that paid triple what we paid and have had huge problems. I'll never buy new construction again, but I am glad we had the experience! Good luck!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:21 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
I also live in a Centex community- and we're very happy. But if I were retiring I might want a resale. More established, less "flux"...but that's just me.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:26 PM

269 posts, read 1,056,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishlee View Post
Where are the David Weekley homes? We used to love those houses when we lived in Houston.
Just go to David Weekley Homes builds fine new homes and click on Charlotte.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:32 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,276 times
I didn't notice the Cunnane Group on the list of good builders. We like them, just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte