Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 02:51 PM

527 posts, read 919,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I have first-hand experience unfortunately. Anyways though, it doesn't sound like there is any swaying you or convincing, so go right ahead and learn the lesson.

Sorry if my question came out rudely.. but the intent was to get some advise on what was your experience? which area of charlotte and what year was that bad experience in?

I am specifically looking at Ballantyne.

I do have other sorts of investments.. but in this country anything above 1.5% return is like a lottery...(unless you are investing in land or gold). You may be doing 15% one day and -15% the very next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 03:00 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
(unless you are investing in land or gold).
Indeed.

Gold is far more liquid than land and has the advantage of not being in the system as well (physical gold that is) thus making it, should the owner wish, impervious to court and tax action.

A $50,000 investment in gold in 2008, before the real estate crisis hit Charlotte, would be worth $115,473 today which is a 231% return on your investment in 4 years. Imagine if you had invested that $50K on a condo in The Vue. You would be wiped out now.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:06 PM

527 posts, read 919,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Indeed.

Gold is far more liquid than land and has the advantage of not being in the system as well (physical gold that is) thus making it, should the owner wish, impervious to court and tax action.

A $50,000 investment in gold in 2008, before the real estate crisis hit Charlotte, would be worth $115,473 today which is a 231% return on your investment in 4 years. Imagine if you had invested that $50K on a condo in The Vue. You would be wiped out now.
I am not sure about the tax action part..

Any 'income' (capital gain) gained on gold sale is taxable. Am I wrong here?

Old 10-29-2012, 03:37 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Quote:

A bag full of 99% gold coins doesn't require anyone to file a 1099....or does it???? Just asking.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:46 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
A bag full of 99% gold coins doesn't require anyone to file a 1099....or does it???? Just asking.
That depends upon the owner of the bag of gold and how he/she decides to liquidate it. I should imagine that if one were at a gold bourse, it would depend upon the honor system how sales were reported.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
That depends upon the owner of the bag of gold and how he/she decides to liquidate it. I should imagine that if one were at a gold bourse, it would depend upon the honor system how sales were reported.

LOL....as I had the "golden rule" in mind.

Those that HAVE the gold rule.

BTW---didn't honor systems go out of style with high button shoes?

Forgive me...only playing now watching this FN storm here in NY.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 PM

OP-----I have an idea for you that might save you from losing your entire stash.

Rent a house (like you wanted to buy) with a sub-lease clause allowing you to rent. Negotiate the best rent you can.

Sublet the house just as you would have if you owned it.

Keep careful record of the profit/loss,. Then determine the value of what "might" be the case IF you were the owner and not the lease holder.

If it works send me a check for $5.00 for the idea. TIA.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 AM

385 posts, read 890,509 times
Quote:

The answer to yr original question it is quite simply the builder does not want to loose elgiibility for FHA financing in the complex. If investors represent more than a certain % of new purchasers (usually say 30%) FHA will basically blackball the complex. Since FHA is the only gig in town in terms of low downpayment financing these days its a huge deal to the builder.

While its true they would prefer owner occupants over investors the builder would sell you 10 units if they could.

I would suggest not trying to skirt this by fibbing about the investment status esp. if you plan on financing the property. Your lender will make the HOA (which is still run by the builder most likely) fill out a no less than 8 page Condo Review form. That form will make you state the purpose of your purchase (Invest or Owner Occ) at least 3 times. Bottom line you will get busted. And remember if the loan is from a GSE ala Fannie Mae loan fraud is Federal charge.

Condos can be great investments now if you have the capital to purchase. However, I wouldn't buy directly from the builder. I had a recent client that looked at new construction off Providence Rd West. They ran into the same problem as far as availability for investors. We ended up finding a foreclosure in the complex with no restrictions that we got for $27K below the builder price for the same exact model (we did have to get the carpets replaced but other than that it was brand new).

Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 AM

^^^^ solid information! OP these info is worth a bag of gold coins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte