Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 04:50 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I call NC for Romney. If this state had been a real battleground state, Obama would have campaigned here, but he has not been back since the convention.
The first lady was here recently as well as Biden. In all honesty, there was no point in Obama coming back to NC. He had a successful convention here; sometimes it's best to end things on a high note rather than show your face too much. Obama did the right thing by spending more time in those midwestern states that could cost him his job. He can win without NC; the same doesn't hold true for him if he loses large midwestern states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
Turnout of the last presidential election, statewide, was actually 70%. (69.93%) There is a chance we might beat that this time but there are also more registered voters this time. In Mecklenburg it was 66.18%. For comparison purposes, Wake county was 74.91%.
Turnout was lower this time despite the early voting.

Statewide voter turnout, surprisingly, was lower this time around than in 2008. Statewide in NC, it was 68.37 %. Mecklenburg was essentially the same at 66.48% voted. Interestingly, in comparison again, Wake did break its old record where 81.06% voted. This is a county with less population than Mecklenburg.

IMO, it's rather shameful that in Mecklenburg county, 1 out of every 3 registered voters, did not vote.

• Mecklenburg - pop - 944,373, voted 450,052
  • Wake - pop 929,780 -> voted 530,763
This election turned out to be a status quo election.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Turnout was lower this time despite the early voting.

Statewide voter turnout, surprisingly, was lower this time around than in 2008. Statewide in NC, it was 68.37 %. Mecklenburg was essentially the same at 66.48% voted. Interestingly, in comparison again, Wake did break its old record where 81.06% voted. This is a county with less population than Mecklenburg.

IMO, it's rather shameful that in Mecklenburg county, 1 out of every 3 registered voters, did not vote.

• Mecklenburg - pop - 944,373, voted 450,052
  • Wake - pop 929,780 -> voted 530,763
This election turned out to be a status quo election.
Percentage wise Meck was among the highest for Obama through the entire state and was just narrowly beat by Wake in raw total votes. Well over 25% of the total votes for the incumbent came from just those 2 counties... yet Meck was a whopping 7 points higher for the POTUS than Wake. Meck is way bluer than Wake.

I believe you're completely wrong about the "status quo" result. Obama won the popular vote handily and stomped Mittens hard - there's some serious messages here to be looked at... Personally, I'm very happy that NC will be GOP run and the House remains within GOP control with the most extreme whackos getting pink slips in the Senate.

Hopefully the message is getting through that the GOP needs to stop running up these ass clowns at the national level - Romney is an empty suit when it comes to world politics... he wasn't prepared to run the country. If we needed someone to break up the US and sell it off as parts for profit, he'd be my guy. Otherwise, no flipping way - compounded by the whacko stuff he was forced to say in order to win the primary. They're their own worst enemy.

If the GOP wants to double down on Romney not being conservative enough they won't see the White House for a long long long time - in fact, they'll likely never see it in my lifetime... If they can't find a way to stop more non-whites from voting, the social conservative agenda will continue to do them in as white percentage falls and falls. 72% white this past election... could fall below 70% in 4 years easily. They're not going to get it done without the minority vote. That's not even considering that Women dominate the election raw number now and what a train wreck the GOP is on that front...

This wasn't a status quo... this is a sign of a major shift in Americas' demographics.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:34 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Indeed... they are their own worst enemy and I think NC will always be in play because of the shifting demographics.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Percentage wise Meck was among the highest for Obama through the entire state and was just narrowly beat by Wake in raw total votes.
I'm not sure how you arrive at this statement considering that close to 81,000 more people voted in Wake than in Mecklenburg. This is 18% of the Mecklenburg vote. In Mecklenburg 1 out of 3 did not vote. In Wake it was a much better 1 out of every 5. A huge difference. It's a very surprising difference and my only explanation for this is that on average, Eastern NC is better educated and progressive than Western NC.

By status quo, I mean that people voted to keep things the same. Same president & same composition of congress. This is for the national election. In NC the few congressmen who flipped from blue to red (such as the demise of Kissell) was due to redistricting. In contrast, the NC state government is decidedly more red.

I did call it correctly when I said that NC was going to Romney. This was never a "battleground" state.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:30 AM

I guess someone forgot to tell Romney NC wasn't a battle ground state.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I guess someone forgot to tell Romney NC wasn't a battle ground state.
I don't recall that he ever said that it was. However if he had asked me, I would have gladly informed him of such. Same for Obama.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:32 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how you arrive at this statement considering that close to 81,000 more people voted in Wake than in Mecklenburg. This is 18% of the Mecklenburg vote. In Mecklenburg 1 out of 3 did not vote. In Wake it was a much better 1 out of every 5. A huge difference. It's a very surprising difference and my only explanation for this is that on average, Eastern NC is better educated and progressive than Western NC.

By status quo, I mean that people voted to keep things the same. Same president & same composition of congress. This is for the national election. In NC the few congressmen who flipped from blue to red (such as the demise of Kissell) was due to redistricting. In contrast, the NC state government is decidedly more red.

I did call it correctly when I said that NC was going to Romney. This was never a "battleground" state.
Percentage wise, those that did vote in Meck voted at a much higher percentage for Obama than in Wake county. Period. You can concentrate on those that didn't vote - I'm choosing to concentrate on the ones who did. We can debate who those 1 out of 3 in Meck that didn't vote would have voted for, but I'd wager that if Meck had a higher turn out NC may have stayed blue or at worst been much closer in an already close race... and likely this means that NC will be seriously in play for 2016.

Ultimately, Romney's "base" was more voting against Obama than for Romney... which is firmly on the horrendous job the GOP does at a national level.

Sure you called it correctly, but as you admit Obama knew he didn't need it and look how close it was anyway. OH and FL were the real action. As for the state level, I don't see the switch to more red as necessarily a good or bad thing. We'll see how they do!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:46 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:

Republicans are the Whigs of the 21st century. They will no longer exist or will fundamentally change by 2020.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I don't recall that he ever said that it was. However if he had asked me, I would have gladly informed him of such. Same for Obama.
I'm sure Obama and his team had it all figured out.

However, I think NC will be in play for years to come...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte