U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 10:23 PM
NDL

3,150 posts, read 3,621,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
A. That's fine. if the church wants to become political, it should pay taxes. Not promoting a political candidate is part of the agreement to be tax-exempt
I'm not suggesting that the church become political, but it's the Pastor's responsibility to articulate the values exposited in the Bible.

If, for example, the Bible discusses the individuals responsibility to care for the poor, it's the Pastor's responsibility to teach that, and then for the church member to conclude which political candidate supports that ideal.

As far as the church paying taxes, I agree with you; and this is where the church should put up or shut up.

You'll always have the left manipulating things to their advantage, and the right manipulating things to their advantage.

Special interest groups, on both sides, have really made a mess of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 03:58 AM

162 posts, read 200,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Its no different than a CEO sending out an email saying an Obama victory would put the company in jeopardy.

No one should get bullied, intimidated or preached into voting for a candidate. I wonder what the Mormon churches are preaching/suggesting lol.
It is no different? Are you kidding me! Churches are tax exempt as long as they adhere to the campaigning ban. A CEO is under no such scrutiny. For you to say there is no difference shows your complete lack of knowledge. Would you like to do away with free speech? If the people who work for a company don't like the political leanings of a CEO they are free to work elsewhere. The ban has only been enforced on one Church...and guess who they campaigned against-Bill Clinton. I am sure the Mormon Chuches are following the letter of the Law. Do you think they are endorsing Harry Reid from their pulpits? Oh you forgot he was a Mormon! The IRS has long looked the other way at Black Preachers and their endorsements of Democrat candidates who continually use these churches as revolving doors during the election season.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:07 AM

162 posts, read 200,495 times
Actually the Government is deathly afraid of the Pulpit. In the years leading up to the American Revolution the Pastors of the time were calling for freedom from England for years. This period was called the Great Awakening. Many pastors actually were in charge of local militias and led the fight against England in towns all across the colonies. Todays politicians would be in major trouble if Pastors, Preachers and Priests and Rabbis started alerting the public to the differences between what is preached at the pulpit and what is going on in Washington. Their could be a second Revolution!

Old 10-30-2012, 04:23 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,062 times
The NAACP, who had previously condemned Franklin Graham for questioning Obama's religion, yesterday accused Billy Graham of indirectly endorsing Mitt Romney.
“The political endorsement was particularly ironic since the non-profit you preside over, has until a couple of weeks ago, questioned whether Mormonism is even a part of the christian faith," said NAACP President William Barber.
The NAACP also called Billy Graham a hypocrite.

This was during a news conference held right here in Charlotte yesterday.

NAACP William Barber Billy Graham NC political ads hypocritical - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Old 10-30-2012, 05:03 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,110,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The NAACP, who had previously condemned Franklin Graham for questioning Obama's religion, yesterday accused Billy Graham of indirectly endorsing Mitt Romney.
“The political endorsement was particularly ironic since the non-profit you preside over, has until a couple of weeks ago, questioned whether Mormonism is even a part of the christian faith," said NAACP President William Barber.
The NAACP also called Billy Graham a hypocrite.

This was during a news conference held right here in Charlotte yesterday.

NAACP William Barber Billy Graham NC political ads hypocritical - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

You beat me to it. I was getting ready to post this. Make no mistake: this is not Billy's doing. He has always been neutral regarding politics. This is Franklin's doing.

The fact that his "arm" of the ministry does so much good for Americans & people abroad during disasters will probably only get him a slap on the wrist for his outspoken words.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,062 times
Billy Graham is a 94 year old man. I think he gets to say what he wants at that stage of life. I was more interested in the NAACP's response as they are silent about the reverse situation. I'm thinking they should be careful when tossing out words like hypocrite.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,713,872 times
[quote=frewroad;26725090]The NAACP, who had previously condemned Franklin Graham for questioning Obama's religion, yesterday accused Billy Graham of indirectly endo

Last edited by vindaloo; 10-30-2012 at 06:55 AM..

Old 10-30-2012, 06:50 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,351,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname13 View Post
It is no different? Are you kidding me! Churches are tax exempt as long as they adhere to the campaigning ban. A CEO is under no such scrutiny. For you to say there is no difference shows your complete lack of knowledge. Would you like to do away with free speech? If the people who work for a company don't like the political leanings of a CEO they are free to work elsewhere. The ban has only been enforced on one Church...and guess who they campaigned against-Bill Clinton. I am sure the Mormon Chuches are following the letter of the Law. Do you think they are endorsing Harry Reid from their pulpits? Oh you forgot he was a Mormon! The IRS has long looked the other way at Black Preachers and their endorsements of Democrat candidates who continually use these churches as revolving doors during the election season.
Are YOU kidding me!!! How many times has the IRS enforced this law?

Now that we got that out of the way... yes, it's no different then a CEO intimidating his employees with layoffs if the other guy wins.

Preachers and CEO's can tell you who to vote for... what the consequences are... but they can't force your hand once you are get in the booth to vote.

..and I know, churches are tax exempt, blah, blah, blah... I posted a link where 33 pastors videotaped it and sent it to the IRS and they were Romney supporters.

and who gives a crap about Harry Reid

Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,351,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
I guess things are quiet in the hood. No need for the NAACP to get involved in crime, partent/student school paticipation, drug problems, gangs or illigitimacy. Well, I suppose that this complaint not quite a s lame as their usual ridiculousness concerning theconfederate flag and slow service to black customers. I guess they need a cause to keep the money flowing in.
and they bussed in reps from SC and used our tax dollars to do it.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 AM

8,233 posts, read 11,253,620 times
Actually, when a Pastor supports a candidate from the pulpit they are no longer considered a tax exempt religious organization. This is something happening on both sides of the fence and I have no issue with both losing their exemption. It needs to happen more often, far too many churches have moved out of the God business into general life and should pay taxes accordingly.... I include the Mormon land grab in that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or