U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 04:06 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Hahahaha. Really? In this ends justify the means political world we've seen conservatives manipulating the rules or enacting new "rules" for their own purposes. Let's not pretend like there is some partisan high ground on the rules. Conservatives do tend to blindly follow authority more, so you may be onto something. But there is no virtue in using loopholes to subvert the spirit of a law then deriding someone else for violating the letter of it.

I always consider the source ... and the source here smells rank with hypocrisy. You and loves can pretend to care about this issue from a nonpartisan basis, but from past posts (and from a particular clause in the OP) we all know why you're really concerned about this.
Why do you continue to attack me and Ani?

You throw out comments about us like you really know us, and believe me, YOU DON'T.

I usually just ignore you and your sidekicks and move on to respond to legitimate posts without the insults or flaming, but I have grown weary of you taking my thread off topic and insinuating things about other posters in a nasty tone.

While you obviously have your own agenda here, THIS thread is about tax exempt status and the illegality of endorsing candidates from the pulpit, THAT'S ALL. Again, if you can't stay on topic, I invite you to move on to other threads - this one was not meant to be controversial.

At this point, I'm sure all the most intelligent posters here are "considering the source" of your continual attempts to flame us, which says way more about YOU than anyone else.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 10-30-2012 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: spelling anc clarification!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Why do you continue to attack me and Ani?

You throw out comments about us like you really know us, and believe me, YOU DON'T.

I usually just ignore you and your sidekicks and move on to respond to legitimate posts without the insults or flaming, but you have pushed me to the limit at this point.

While you obviously have your own agenda here, THIS thread is about tax exempt status and the illegality of endorsing candidates from the pulpit, THAT'S ALL.

At this point, I'm sure all the most intelligent posters here are "considering the source" of your continual attempts to flame us, which says way more about YOU than anyone else.
This is not an attack; this is a discussion. You don't get to dictate the terms of this thread. You can't make a claim about black churches violating a law regarding political endorsements and not expect some discussion of the broader issue - which is religion in politics, which is not limited to the black church. The power of white evangelical churches vastly outweighs that of black churches and the pressure in those churches to vote Republican is overwhelming.

I agree with you as far as tax exemption goes, but let's not pretend that you would be posting this about Calvary or any of those other mega-churches.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-31-2012 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: Ot

Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
This is not an attack; this is a discussion. You don't get to dictate the terms of this thread. You can't make a claim about black churches violating a law regarding political endorsements and not expect some discussion of the broader issue - which is religion in politics, which is not limited to the black church. The power of white evangelical churches vastly outweighs that of black churches and the pressure in those churches to vote Republican is overwhelming.

I know your political stances from your previous posts and can make an educated guess at your motives for posting this one. You are only concerned here because black churches are getting people to the polls to vote against your guy. This kind of stuff has been going on in white churches for decades. It pushed Reagan over the top in 1980.

I agree with you as far as tax exemption goes, but let's not pretend that you would be posting this about Calvary or any of those other mega-churches.

As the creator of the thread, I DO get to dictate it's intent and keep it on topic.

Again, you THINK you know me. You have made many assumptions about me that are actually not accurate and have caused you to generalize in a way that only reflects poorly on you.

This thread is not about me, or any other poster, so you have no right to continue to try to talk about us or accuse us of the nasty things you have.

I am not "pretending" ANYTHING - my feelings on this issue of tax exempt status are the same regardless of church afiliation or political party. Again, you are continuing to flame me. Please cease and desist.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Not really. Reagan would have won without Anderson. And Anderson pulled a lot of votes from Republican voters as well. The larger point is, today's far-right Republican Party (of which Reagan is the godfather) would not exist without the political organizing power of white evangelical churches. For that reason, I find it hypocritical of GOP loyalists to make a big deal out of "Souls to the Polls."
uh, just for the record, which is really none of your business but I'm sick and tired of your attacks, I am not a "GOP loyalist"

I am a Libertarian.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:54 PM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
"I'm not republican I'm libertarian"

I've heard this line a lot the last 6 months.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
The government won't enforce this. First, they got rid of the person that was in charge of enforcing the law and the position remains unfilled. Second, they know that there is an organized movement to take this to the supreme court. First amendment will trump the law.

Taxing churches regardless of what they say is a violation of separation of church and state.

The feds won't bite.
This is an interesting theory...

Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
I've seen this in so called "born again" christian churches populated by caucasion's. There political agenda is driven primarily by the "right to life" issue. I recall one church handing out mock ballots with the voting agenda filled in for the attendee's convenience. This was a real turn off for me. I'm not so sure there is a blurring of the lines or a blatant misuse of their tax exempt status as I'm not a lawyer. But just based on fundamental separation of church and state, it seems grossly inappropriate.
Completely agree with you!

Regardless of which churches are doing this it is not only illegal it is disturbing.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 PM

21,868 posts, read 27,133,212 times
There is a big problem with religions mixing with politics. It's not new at all. I was raised Catholic & remember very clearly what happened in the 1960 election. I was in a parochial school & we were told, continually, to tell our parents that they had to vote for Kennedy & at church the priests told the adults that they would go to Hell if they didn't vote for Kennedy. I sat in church while priests told adults to vote for candidates who would opposed this that & something else. I quit going because I got sick of it.

I've been aware, for a very long time that other churches do it too. The feds won't do anything about it because if you crack down on one you have to crack down on them all. The only time that they will crack down on one is if they say or do something so appalling that it simply can't be ignored.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,698,581 times
Quote:
This is not an attack; this is a discussion. You don't get to dictate the terms of this thread.
Yep...spoken like a true Liberal. True to the style. Baff...scuse me, just finished dinner......OMG!!!

Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,960,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
Not always true. At the Catholic church I attend in upstate SC the pastor clearly endorsed Romney a few weeks ago by admonishing the parishoners to vote against the presidential candidate who was pro-choice. No names were mentioned, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out who he was talking about. My wife and I were aghast, as were some others we spoke to in the congregation. We've since started going to the other Catholic church in town.
Pastor? I thought they were called "Priests" in the Catholic church?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or