U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 05:52 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,704,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Pastor? I thought they were called "Priests" in the Catholic church?

And...........Yer point regarding this thread issssssssssssssssssss????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 05:56 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,346,253 times
Quote:
Pastor? I thought they were called "Priests" in the Catholic church?
They are called both

Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 PM

1,422 posts, read 4,620,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Why do so many churches, especially predominantly African American churches, seem unable to stop mixing their religion with politics? I find this very disturbing regardless of which candidate a pastor wants to encourage his flock to vote for. It's wrong regardless.

By law, churches tax-exempt organizations are not permitted to endorse individual candidates from the pulpit.

The Rev Gregory Moss of St. Paul's Baptist sure found a way around the law!

Read more here: Charlotte-area churches issue calls to get out the vote | CharlotteObserver.com
Amen! This has been driving me crazy. The Church of God in Christ in Raleigh is a glaring example of the pastor telling his flock how they should vote on the issues. P.S. He lives in a $2M dollar house.

But I don't point the finger only at this church. Evangelical houses of worship are big violators of this.

And how did you like Billy Graham taking the "Mormonism is a cult" message down from his website and placing ads in the newspapers to support Romney? He's (successfully, I believe, time will tell) influencing the evangelicals who previously would not vote for a Mormon.

Don't get me started on this topic, it's not good for my blood pressure!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,961,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
And...........Yer point regarding this thread issssssssssssssssssss????
It is just a question. I have family and friends who are Catholic and I've never heard any of them use the term "Pastor" when referring to any position in the church. Seeing someone refer to a Catholic spiritual leader as a "Pastor" piqued my curiosity. Is there a difference in the Catholic Church? Are they interchangeable titles? Are they different positions within the church?

Am I not allowed to post off topic crapola like others on this thread?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:17 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,346,253 times
Quote:
It is just a question. I have family and friends who are Catholic and I've never heard any of them use the term "Pastor" when referring to any position in the church. Seeing someone refer to a Catholic spiritual leader as a "Pastor" piqued my curiosity. Is there a difference in the Catholic Church? Are they interchangeable titles? Are they different positions within the church?

The "Pastor" of a Catholic Church is generally the head priest of a particular church.

Most larger parishes have a minimum of 2, but usually 3, priests.

Of all the priests I know, none of them would dream of talking to their congregations from the pulpit about who to vote for!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,704,608 times
Quote:

LOL. Of course, you wouldn't be part of the group unless you did.

Welcome aboard.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 PM

330 posts, read 932,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
Not always true. At the Catholic church I attend in upstate SC the pastor clearly endorsed Romney a few weeks ago by admonishing the parishoners to vote against the presidential candidate who was pro-choice. No names were mentioned, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out who he was talking about. My wife and I were aghast, as were some others we spoke to in the congregation. We've since started going to the other Catholic church in town.
There is a difference between being faithful to the teachings of the Church and openly promoting a candidate. There are intrinsic evils that according to the Church must never be supported by law, and at the top of the list is abortion. Father was simply performing his pastoral duties. Knowingly voting for a pro-abortion candidate is not morally permissible for a Catholic.

Note the following from the United States Council of Catholic Bishops:

Human life is sacred. Direct attacks on innocent human beings are never morally acceptable. Within our society, life is under direct attack from abortion, euthanasia, human cloning, and destruction of human embryos for research. These intrinsic evils must always be opposed. This teaching also compels us
as Catholics to oppose genocide, torture, unjust war, and the use of the death penalty, as well as to pursue peace and help overcome poverty, racism, and other conditions that demean human life.

... and ...

In the Catholic Tradition, responsible citizenship is a virtue, and participation in political life is a moral obligation. As Catholics, we should be guided more by our moral convictions than by our attachment to a political party or interest group. In today’s environment, Catholics may feel politically disenfranchised, sensing that no party and few candidates fully share our comprehensive commitment to human life and dignity. Catholic lay women and men need to act on the Church’s moral principles and become more involved: running for office, working within political parties, and communicating concerns to elected officials. Even those who cannot vote should raise their voices on matters that affect their lives and the common good.

Last edited by LAMF; 10-30-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,193,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Amen! This has been driving me crazy. The Church of God in Christ in Raleigh is a glaring example of the pastor telling his flock how they should vote on the issues. P.S. He lives in a $2M dollar house.

But I don't point the finger only at this church. Evangelical houses of worship are big violators of this.

And how did you like Billy Graham taking the "Mormonism is a cult" message down from his website and placing ads in the newspapers to support Romney? He's (successfully, I believe, time will tell) influencing the evangelicals who previously would not vote for a Mormon.

Don't get me started on this topic, it's not good for my blood pressure!
Also in Raleigh. Democrats in Raleigh state on the radio that part of their grass roots plan in the African American community is to "vote as a church family." With Sunday voting, the plan is to board buses after the church service and drive to the polls. My guess is there is not much diversity of opinion on those buses.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:10 AM

2,160 posts, read 2,359,202 times
Default how many of you got this email recently

This coming Sunday, November 4th is Pledge To Vote Sunday, the last Sunday before Election Day.
At the NC Values Coalition, we believe it is our responsibility to be the salt and light in our culture and we urge you to get involved this last crucial week before Election Day!
[LEFT] 5 ways you can participate in Pledge To Vote Sunday:[/LEFT]
[LEFT] 1. Pray: The most important way you can help is by praying for our church leaders, our elected officials and candidates, and voters around North Carolina and our nation as election day approaches.[/LEFT]
2. Talk to your pastor: Please forward this email to your church leadership and impress upon them how important it is for North Carolina's faith community to get involved in this year's election. Our Church Toolkit has everything your pastor needs from a sermon to a bulletin insert to legal guidelines and encouragement from other pastors.
3. Share our Voter Guide: You can spread the word about what's at stake in the upcoming election by printing out copies of our Values Voter Issue Guide and distributing them at your church. This guide clearly spells out the difference between the presidential candidates and national parties on issues that matter to people of faith. It also includes scriptural references on the issues. We think you will find it very helpful.
4. Sign the Pledge to Vote: Commit to voting and urge your friends and church family to commit to voting by signing the Pledge to Vote. Once you sign, we will send you resources and links to make sure you are fully informed for election day.

5. Pastoral Declaration: As our friends who are pastors in Burke County have done, work with other pastors in your area to publish this Pastoral Declaration of values in your local newspaper.
If you or your church already have plans to participate in Pledge to Vote Sunday or a similar event, please contact one of our grassroots directors this week to find out how we can support your efforts and expand your reach.
g

Old 10-31-2012, 10:24 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,350,595 times
that is an odd email and the links ask for a username and password
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or