U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 AM

3,944 posts, read 7,533,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That was an inappropriate dig at the Mormons/LDS church, in my opinion. .
It might not have been. Catholic churches were mentioned, and black churches were mentioned.

But yeah, I agree with you. They shouldn't be promoting candidates if they have tax-exempt status.

Or, even better, they shouldn't have tax-exempt status if they want to support candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:08 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Its not inappropriate at all... you are a fool to think this isn't happening for Romney as well...

I never said it was right but its common... it happens all the time.
Saying it is "not inappropriate" IS saying it is alright

Old 10-29-2012, 10:08 AM

2,109 posts, read 3,592,271 times
Quote:
Its no different than a CEO sending out an email saying an Obama victory would put the company in jeopardy.
Most private small business are saying the same thing, when taxes & forced health care will increase expenses, the job unemployment will go higher, no mystery/politics here...just pure economics.

Read the quote bellow and you'll see it is a world of difference when comparing a church (dependent on all of us for tax exemption) with a CEO that is running a non-tax exempt organization.

Quote:
By law, churches – tax-exempt organizations – are not permitted to endorse individual candidates from the pulpit.

But, especially in presidential election years, houses of worship have effectively become part of both parties’ GOTV – Get out the Vote – machines.

Read more here: Charlotte-area churches issue calls to get out the vote | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I too am disturbed by anyone who would vote for a candidate just because their pastor said to vote for them, and we know that happens.

If a pastor in my church even attempted to do this I'd get up, walk out and look for a new church.

The scary thing is, there are folks out there ignorant enough to follow the lead of the likes of Madonna, Morgan Freeman or Clint Eastwood, so I guess political pastors shouldn't surprise me
I am not surprised, either. I do not even want to know the political beliefs of celebrities. I find it a big turn off. Why the hell do I care what athlete, musician or actor supports what causes or candidates? Most of them are very one-dimensional people with a skill in only one area of their lives -- and often living lifestyles I would certainly never be interested in emulating.

I can see why people would actually be MORE likely to be influenced by a minister, as he is supposed to be a spiritual leader.

I guess some of these folks conveniently forgot that line in the Bible about "rending unto Caesar." And evidently they are either too ignorant to understand the meaning and responsibilities that go along with having a tax exmpt status . . . or they are very comfortable with the assumption that no one is going to do a damn thing about their flagrant violations.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 AM

11,808 posts, read 9,398,861 times
Quote:
But it IS different.

Corporate America is not a tax-exempt organization. There is no law against a CEO informing his workers about the bottom line.

But by law churches are not permitted to endorse individual candidates from the pulpit.
There is a law and this is why a CEO recently re-worded. an email telling people jobs would be lost if Obama was elected. Its intimidation.

I always found it odd that the GOP and DNC both have religious leaders they look to for approval or endorsements... seems like they should be off limits since they are tax exempt. obviously our politicians aren't that concerned with separation church and state since all they talk about is God, abortion, gay marriage and use the bible as a source for their decisions.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Saying it is "not inappropriate" IS saying it is alright
No.. just being a realist... whether you like it or not its happening.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Most private small business are saying the same thing, when taxes & forced health care will increase expenses, the job unemployment will go higher, no mystery here...just pure economics.

Read the quote bellow and you'll see it is a world of difference when comparing a church (dependent on all of us for tax exemption) with a CEO that is running a non-tax exempt organization.
But I don't think you can tell employees if Obama wins jobs will be cut. I'm pretty sure its illegal. I agree, these don't fall under the same law but you cannot send out emails intimidating employees on who to vote for.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
No.. just being a realist... whether you like it or not its happening.
Duh, we all know it's happening - the point is it's illegal and disturbing.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
But I don't think you can tell employees if Obama wins jobs will be cut. I'm pretty sure its illegal. I agree, these don't fall under the same law but you cannot send out emails intimidating employees on who to vote for.
"pretty sure" you are incorrect. There is nothing illegal about a CEO giving his employees the bottom line.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:23 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
Quote:
Its not inappropriate at all... you are a fool to think this isn't happening for Romney as well...

I never said it was right but its common... it happens all the time.
Let me state this in another way and I will try not to imply you are a fool while doing it.

Endorsing a political candidate from the pulpit is a flagrant violation of a church's tax exempt status.

PERIOD.

Your lame assertion that "everyone else is doing it" reminds me of what parents hear when their teenaged kids can't come up with a good rationale for unacceptable behavior, other than "but but but everyone else does it!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or