U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
excellent point... and again, why do politicians meet with religious leaders for their blessing?

It's not about right or left... both sides are doing it and both sides are wrong but in reality we all know it's not anything new.
FELT - this has nothing, NADA, to do with a candidate's religious affiliation or meeting with religious leaders to "get their blessing" as you put it.

Any minister who endorses a candidate from the pulpit is putting his church's tax exempt status as risk.

I don't care what religion, what state, what demographic.

No one gets a pass.

The media sure tried to make it into a federal case, literally, when the Catholic church simply issued a document discussing ISSUES - not even mentioning a candidate's name!

But now we have different rules - cause everyone is doing it?

EVERYONE IS NOT DOING IT. Any minister doing this should be investigated. And their church should lose its tax exempt status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Is there some part about tax exempt status and blatantly endorsing a candidate that needs further explanation?

A church can round up folks and take them to vote.

No problem.

A minister employed by that church cannot state from the pulpit who the congregation "should" vote for. PERIOD.

A CEO damn well better know how laws are going to affect his business and letting employees know the repercussions of an election is not illegal.

Employees can take it for what it is worth - maybe something, maybe nothing - I guess it all depends on whether or not they believe the CEO has studied the financial repercussions and they value his opinion on how those laws are going to affect the business's bottom line.

If the CEO is the head of a tax exempt church, he has a problem. Otherwise, he doesn't. Anyone crying "voter intimidation" is being just plain silly. However, voter intimidation is one issue. Violating a church's tax exempt status is entirely a different situation.
What? A CEO cannot intimidate employees... it's against the law.

I agree that it's against the law for a preacher to endorse from the pulpit but it's a common practice and both sides do it.

If it was truly a serious issue IMO you wouldn't see Obama and Romney meeting with religious leaders at all. I'm not sure how this influences a congregation because no one knows how they will vote and if the other guy wins the threat is what? Hell...

A cEO telling his employees they will lose jobs is more serious IMO...and once again, it is illegal.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,583,468 times
No, it does not. And being condescending isn't warranted either.

Perhaps reading the tax code of this issue and the vagueness of such would help you. Tax code does not dictate what is being tossed around here. This issue is much like that of "the separation of church and state" of which there is no law addressing such, only "phrasing" used by Jefferson.

Like I said, emotion and personal "feeling" solves nothing and does not address facts. In does however keep one from seeing them.

Quote:
Is there some part about tax exempt status and blatantly endorsing a candidate that needs further explanation?

A church can round up folks and take them to vote.

No problem.

A minister employed by that church cannot state from the pulpit who the congregation "should" vote for. PERIOD.

A CEO damn well better know how laws are going to affect his business and letting employees know the repercussions of an election is not illegal.

Employees can take it for what it is worth - maybe something, maybe nothing - I guess it all depends on whether or not they believe the CEO has studied the financial repercussions and they value his opinion on how those laws are going to affect the business's bottom line.

If the CEO is the head of a tax exempt church, he has a problem. Otherwise, he doesn't. Anyone crying "voter intimidation" is being just plain silly -- no one knows how someone votes once they get into that polling booth.

Violating a church's tax exempt status is entirely a different situation. These are two different issues.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
FELT - this has nothing, NADA, to do with a candidate's religious affiliation or meeting with religious leaders to "get their blessing" as you put it.

Any minister who endorses a candidate from the pulpit is putting his church's tax exempt status as risk.

I don't care what religion, what state, what demographic.

No one gets a pass.

The media sure tried to make it into a federal case, literally, when the Catholic church simply issued a document discussing ISSUES - not even mentioning a candidate's name!

But now we have different rules - cause everyone is doing it?

EVERYONE IS NOT DOING IT. Any minister doing this should be investigated. And their church should lose its tax exempt status.

My point, lost in all of this..lol, is the wasted energy getting upset or acting like someone is getting an unfair advantage.

This has been going on for a looooong time and sure, everyone isn't doing it but a ton of them are and it's on both sides.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I love the faux frustration when one side does it... and the "how dare you" when it's suggested that the other side is doing it as well.
FAUX FRUSTRATION?

What the hell are you even saying?

You have an incident to reveal to us about any mosque, temple, Protestant church . . . ANY . . . whose minister has blatantly gotten up in the pulpit and endorsed a candidate?

I will be happy to personally draft the letter to the IRS and DOJ or whatever entity needs the letter calling for an investigation into violation of that church's tax exempt status.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
FAUX FRUSTRATION?

What the hell are you even saying?

You have an incident to reveal to us about any mosque, temple, Protestant church . . . ANY . . . whose minister has blatantly gotten up in the pulpit and endorsed a candidate?

I will be happy to personally draft the letter to the IRS and DOJ or whatever entity needs the letter calling for an investigation into violation of that church's tax exempt status.
Legacy Church Pastor Endorses Romney from Pulpit - West Ashley, SC Patch

Get to typing... lol.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
My point, lost in all of this..lol, is the wasted energy getting upset or acting like someone is getting an unfair advantage.

This has been going on for a looooong time and sure, everyone isn't doing it but a ton of them are and it's on both sides.
FELT: please share with us what minister anywhere in this country has gotten up and blatantly told his or her members who to vote for since you seem to have some secret knowledge that the rest of us do not have.

I have never been in any church of any denomination where the minister has even suggested who his/her members should be voting for.

It is sure interesting how the majority of folks on this board are quick to say they do not attend church yet everyone seems to suddenly be an ecumenical expert on who is preaching what and where when a violation of a church's tax exempt status comes up.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Happy to do it.

Those folks are flagrantly violating their tax exempt status.

And they are openly taunting the IRS, which is not only stupid, it makes people of faith look like idiots. I am surprised their church members are not running out the doors, never to return.

Now, where are all the other violators, since you are so sure "everyone" is doing this.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:07 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,583,468 times
How is what happened here any different than what happened in this local article? Or the catholic church for that matter....no one got all up in arms about that in this board. It all goes back to personal feelings & emotion.

Pastor who sparked Mormon flap backs Romney

ETA:

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_2...catholic-rules

Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
No, it does not. And being condescending isn't warranted either.

Perhaps reading the tax code of this issue and the vagueness of such would help you. Tax code does not dictate what is being tossed around here. This issue is much like that of "the separation of church and state" of which there is no law addressing such, only "phrasing" used by Jefferson.

Like I said, emotion and personal "feeling" solves nothing and does not address facts. In does however keep one from seeing them.
Kitty, I am evidently just too dumb to understand what you are trying so desperately to convey. So I apologize.

We are talking about tax exempt status here.

We are not talking about Jefferson's philosophy on a theocracy. Or whatever.

We are talking book keeping and tax status. You know. . . the IRS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or