U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:58 PM

162 posts, read 188,312 times

Advertisements

Now they are doing more than just sheets. This hand out was on glossy paper. At my church "the black church" the top was blue and at my friend's church the top was red. It was the exact same paper just 1 for democrats and 1 for republicans! I was a little offend at church because I may be the only person who attends service that will not just vote for a democrat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
When I lived on N. Tryon, I voted once at the old Tryon Hills Elementary school. I was one of the few White people in line. All the Black people in line were carrying the same newspaper sized paper and I didn't know what it was. So I asked the Black lady next to me what they were looking at. She said it was voting instructions passed out at their church. It was a duplicate of the voting machine ballots in use at the time and showed which levers (votes) were to be pulled. The ones not to be touched were blacked out. In included block voting to minimize the votes of any undesired candidates.

I've never seen such a thing passed out at any white church that I've been too or any polling place that was predominately White. I realize this is anecdotal, but I've seen it first hand in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM

11,778 posts, read 9,386,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I give up.

I have plainly stated that ANY CHURCH (or mosque or temple - whatever) should be investigated in re: to its tax exempt status if the minister was endorsing particular candidates from the pulpit.

So how did this get turned into my being hypocritical?

Laugh if you want. I pay taxes. Churches don't. If they violate their tax exempt status, they should lose it.
when I suggested Mormon's and churches were doing it for Romney you said it was inappropriate... like the mere thought of saying the other side was in on it was slander. Now maybe you meant something else but this is how it came off...

once again I found it odd that the story mentioned both candidates getting support yet most focused on one side.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:03 PM

11,778 posts, read 9,386,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abri07 View Post
Now they are doing more than just sheets. This hand out was on glossy paper. At my church "the black church" the top was blue and at my friend's church the top was red. It was the exact same paper just 1 for democrats and 1 for republicans! I was a little offend at church because I may be the only person who attends service that will not just vote for a democrat!
it goes on in both parties/churches... those with common sense will admit it, those with an agenda will not.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,957,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
it goes on in both parties/churches... those with common sense will admit it, those with an agenda will not.
This isn't a test of common sense. I've witnessed it first hand, and I believe my eyes first. If you haven't seen it, then you are "assuming" it exists which is an entirely different matter.

In the decades that I've lived in Charlotte, I've voted in two different predominately Black polling places and in both places I saw Church provided voting sheets being carried by most Black people in line. I've never these in use anywhere else in Charlotte and I have voted here in every election since I was old enough to vote.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,560,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I give up.

I have plainly stated that ANY CHURCH (or mosque or temple - whatever) should be investigated in re: to its tax exempt status if the minister was endorsing particular candidates from the pulpit.

So how did this get turned into my being hypocritical?

Laugh if you want. I pay taxes. Churches don't. If they violate their tax exempt status, they should lose it.
Wow. The tangents some here want to take off on

Not so sure why such a simple concept as it being illegal for tax exempt groups to endorse candidates seems so hard for many here to grasp.

Folks, that is all this thread is about - quit bringing in your own agendas and issues.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,560,970 times
Quote:
when I suggested Mormon's and churches were doing it for Romney you said it was inappropriate... like the mere thought of saying the other side was in on it was slander. Now maybe you meant something else but this is how it came off...

once again I found it odd that the story mentioned both candidates getting support yet most focused on one side.
You might want to reread

Both Ani and I have clearly stated that this is not a party issue.

REGARDLESS of which candidate a pastor wants to endorse - IT IS ILLEGAL and wrong.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:30 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,435,498 times
In God we trust... mostly?

I guess we'll need more gubmint to investigate / police this as not only are there newspaper articles on it, white folks are seeing it first hand by the blacks. I am beyond shocked and appalled that there may be religion and race brought into elections - it can't be! My naive inner child is being stripped away.

Honestly, though - joking aside. I don't think one could believe something like this can be controlled - so much is done in the name of Him. Is this even a big one? Especially when it's done on all sides. and should they chase it, where does this fall on the list with the govt agencies that this would fall upon to investigate and prosecute? They can't even get real criminals and people want govt out of the way, but they need to watch what pastors tell their congregation... It's just such a mixed message to me. lol

Old 10-29-2012, 01:34 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
Quote:
Oh. So if I object to it, I have an agenda. And I don't have common sense.

How about - I don't think churches who do this should be tax exempt?

I believe that is common sense enough. Or is it - you just think only certain churches should follow the rules? Or get a pass?

Old 10-29-2012, 01:38 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wow. The tangents some here want to take off on

Not so sure why such a simple concept as it being illegal for tax exempt groups to endorse candidates seems so hard for many here to grasp.

Folks, that is all this thread is about - quit bringing in your own agendas and issues.
Anyone who knew either one of us at all would understand that the issue we are most concerned about here is - TAXATION.

You break the rules, you lose your tax exempt status.

Churches are not supposed to be promoting candidates from the pulpit.

If my church has to toe the line, then everyone else's should, too.

I would walk out, regardless who the candidate was!, if my minister got up and endorsed ANY candidate.

I have to pay taxes. Churches don't. They have to meet certain criteria to keep that exemption. If they don't follow the rules, they should pay their taxes.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:52 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,728,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I too am disturbed by anyone who would vote for a candidate just because their pastor said to vote for them, and we know that happens.

If a pastor in my church even attempted to do this I'd get up, walk out and look for a new church.

The scary thing is, there are folks out there ignorant enough to follow the lead of the likes of Madonna, Morgan Freeman or Clint Eastwood, so I guess political pastors shouldn't surprise me
Now don't you go saying anything bad about Clint Eastwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or