Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 10:35 AM

958 posts, read 2,620,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think your fake self-righteousness is hilarious.

How 'bout that?

And yes, this is about FOLLOWING THE RULES.

You know what I have noticed? Libertarians don't like rules, but if there are rules, they follow them. So do conservatives. Liberals, on the other hand, are always trying to figure out a way to either get an exemption, shame the people who are trying to follow the rules through mockery and playing the intellectual elite card, the race card, the culture card or the class card.

That's what I have noticed.
Conservatives always follow the rules. WHATEVER.

This guy's a real winner.

Sandy Twitter Troll Resigns From Campaign Manager Position - ABC News

So is this Conservative...

Kyle Wood Assault 'Unfounded,' As Wisconsin Volunteer Recants Claim Of Hate Crime Attack

And we can go back much farther...remember the winner from four years ago who carved up her face and blamed it on an Obama supporter?

Conservatives and Libertarians have no more a monopoly on following rules than liberals do. Talk about self-righteousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,030,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
that is an odd email and the links ask for a username and password

I will agree I thought it odd also. I received it in one of my email addresses. I figured the links wouldn't work unless you were signed in to my email, sorry.
I wasn't so interested in the links as the body of the email I received as it spoke to the subject thread.
Notice the enticement of "legal guidelines" to use from the pulpit. I assume they are pointers on how to circumvent the tax exempt riders regarding politics.

You can probably go to North Carolina Values Coalition – N.C. – Marriage Amendment – Pro Life – Pro Family and then follow the resources link to the downloads referenced in the body of the copied section of the email I posted.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
Conservatives always follow the rules. WHATEVER.

This guy's a real winner.

Conservatives and Libertarians have no more a monopoly on following rules than liberals do. Talk about self-righteousness.
Most people are moderates.

I stand by what I said. It is what I have noticed. If you feel differently, your opinion. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. We are allowed to have opinions on this forum. Those are the RULES.

Enjoy.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:48 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Most people are just, people... and each individual is responsible for his or her actions.

it must be nice to throw labels around and remove them from people when they fall short.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 10-31-2012 at 07:00 PM..

Old 11-01-2012, 05:30 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,312,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Though I don't expect you to believe me, the fact is that the election is strictly off-limits in LDS worship services, etc. Of course, individual members of a congregation may talk among themselves about it, but the Church definitely has not endorsed Mitt Romney. And if you were to be a tourist visiting Temple Square in Salt Lake City right about now, you would not hear one word spoken by the missionaries or Church employees there about the election. You would see no signs on any LDS Church property in support of Romney. And that is the truth.
Katzpur,
your post is encouraging to me. Many pastors in our nation are treading on dangerous waters, encouraging their members to "vote for the man who is against abortion and for traditional marriage." Actually, even if they don't call the candidate by name, their tax-exempt status should be questioned.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Katzpur,
your post is encouraging to me. Many pastors in our nation are treading on dangerous waters, encouraging their members to "vote for the man who is against abortion and for traditional marriage." Actually, even if they don't call the candidate by name, their tax-exempt status should be questioned.
That is a difficult standard to maintain. If a political issues become church teachings or doctrine, that could be an issue. But what if teachings or doctrine becomes a political issue? Do churches have to stop talking about issues they may have been discussing long before they entered the political arena because they are now “politicizing from the pulpit?”

I think there is a difference between endorsing candidates and encouraging people to vote according to the shared values of a church. I have no problem with a church or pastor stating: “Here are the church’s/my positions on issues X, Y, & Z. I’d encourage you to consider these positions when selecting a candidate.” That is quite a bit different than saying, “The church endorses Smith for President and Jones for Governor."

Old 11-01-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
That is a difficult standard to maintain. If a political issues become church teachings or doctrine, that could be an issue. But what if teachings or doctrine becomes a political issue? Do churches have to stop talking about issues they may have been discussing long before they entered the political arena because they are now “politicizing from the pulpit?”

I think there is a difference between endorsing candidates and encouraging people to vote according to the shared values of a church. I have no problem with a church or pastor stating: “Here are the church’s/my positions on issues X, Y, & Z. I’d encourage you to consider these positions when selecting a candidate.” That is quite a bit different than saying, “The church endorses Smith for President and Jones for Governor."
IMO the problem is politics preys on church values...

every election it's the same issues. Gays, abortion, marriage, etc...

Old 11-01-2012, 07:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Leaders of the North Carolina NAACP and other religious leaders are jointly calling on Franklin Graham, son of the famed evangelist Billy Graham, to stop his conservative politicking against equality and his continued public suspicions regarding President Barack Obama’s Christian faith.

Details of the letter here -> N.C. NAACP, others call on Franklin Graham to stop the politicking | QNotes Gay Charlotte and LGBT Carolina News, Arts & Entertainment

Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
IMO the problem is politics preys on church values...

every election it's the same issues. Gays, abortion, marriage, etc...
And yet this political strategy wouldn't work if these issues weren't important to a large percentage of the country. That goes along with my point: if churches have always had teachings about certain issues, such as the ones you listed above, is there a point they have to stop teachings on these issues once they enter the political arena? Should they be forced to stop teachings on gays, abortion, & marriage because those issues have become politicized? I don't think that is the law, but it seems some would like it to be. I guess this would have prevented abolitionist churches from teaching about the evils of slavery!

Old 11-01-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
And yet this political strategy wouldn't work if these issues weren't important to a large percentage of the country. That goes along with my point: if churches have always had teachings about certain issues, such as the ones you listed above, is there a point they have to stop teachings on these issues once they enter the political arena? Should they be forced to stop teachings on gays, abortion, & marriage because those issues have become politicized? I don't think that is the law, but it seems some would like it to be. I guess this would have prevented abolitionist churches from teaching about the evils of slavery!
They work because they distract from the real issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte