Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Bingo...

and what's odd is the article in the OP points out pastors for Obama and Romney doing it yet it's "show me proof, show me a list"

That's why I called if Faux Frustration...
Yes, you are right, Felt.

Everyone is doing it.

Thank you for setting me straight.

It's an anarchy out there. Everyone can do whatever they wish to do - no repercussions. I feel so much more enlightened now.

Think I will get back to my work so I can make some faux money to pay my faux taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Working does not grant you that freedom, the Constitution does. Those are rights given to us by our Creator, these rights are inalienable. Funny how that works huh?
Thank you so much for explaining all that to me!

I had no idea.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 AM

162 posts, read 228,640 times
I attend an AME Zion church and I am so glad that the pastor does not and will not speak of his views. He has mentioned praying for President Obama and Mitt Romney. One thing I did not like was that the church offered a democratic voting sheet saying who to vote. I seen a friend from another church was given a republican sheet. I believe this is overstepping the line too.

Below you can find Evangelist Billy Graham's statement and a link to the article. He did everything, but endorse Mitt Romney.

“It was a privilege to pray with Gov. Romney — for his family and our country,” the statement read. “I will turn 94 the day after the upcoming election, and I believe America is at a crossroads. I hope millions of Americans will join me in praying for our nation and to vote for candidates who will support the biblical definition of marriage, protect the sanctity of life and defend our religious freedoms.”

Evangelist Billy Graham all but endorses Mitt Romney - latimes.com

Old 10-29-2012, 12:03 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, you are right, Felt.

Everyone is doing it.

Thank you for setting me straight.

It's an anarchy out there. Everyone can do whatever they wish to do - no repercussions. I feel so much more enlightened now.

Think I will get back to my work so I can make some faux money to pay my faux taxes.
You are welcome

I didn't want all that frustration to get wasted on one side when both are guilty.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abri07 View Post
I attend an AME Zion church and I am so glad that the pastor does not and will not speak of his views. He has mentioned praying for President Obama and Mitt Romney. One thing I did not like was that the church offered a democratic voting sheet saying who to vote. I seen a friend from another church was given a republican sheet. I believe this is overstepping the line too.

Below you can find Evangelist Billy Graham's statement and a link to the article. He did everything, but endorse Mitt Romney.

“It was a privilege to pray with Gov. Romney — for his family and our country,†the statement read. “I will turn 94 the day after the upcoming election, and I believe America is at a crossroads. I hope millions of Americans will join me in praying for our nation and to vote for candidates who will support the biblical definition of marriage, protect the sanctity of life and defend our religious freedoms.â€

Evangelist Billy Graham all but endorses Mitt Romney - latimes.com
I agree with you. Any churches I have ever attended - if mention is made of the President - it is to pray for his wisdom and guidance. I did not vote for Obama, but he is our President, and I pray for him to be protected and guided and I would hope other people of faith would do the same.

I have never seen voting sheets handed out at any church, but that could have been something the members were doing in between themselves. The only problem I see is when the minister himself pronounces a candidate as the one that everyone should vote for - from the pulpit. Members are going to share info and resources, whether inside the church or in their living rooms -- the minister cannot be held responsible for that type of interchange between parishioners.

On another section of C-D, people were upset b/c Billy Graham had "nearly" endorsed a candidate. I agree that it didn't take much for anyone to figure out that one of the 'candidates' Graham approved of would have to be Romney. I honestly do not know if Graham has ever actually been the minister of a church; he would be retired now, regardless. He is a member of a church in SC presently.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
FELT - this has nothing, NADA, to do with a candidate's religious affiliation or meeting with religious leaders to "get their blessing" as you put it.

Any minister who endorses a candidate from the pulpit is putting his church's tax exempt status as risk.

I don't care what religion, what state, what demographic.

No one gets a pass.

The media sure tried to make it into a federal case, literally, when the Catholic church simply issued a document discussing ISSUES - not even mentioning a candidate's name!

But now we have different rules - cause everyone is doing it?

EVERYONE IS NOT DOING IT. Any minister doing this should be investigated. And their church should lose its tax exempt status.
Ani and loves, the resurgence of the Republican Party for the past 30 plus years has been thanks to politics in the pulpit. To pretend that this is somehow just a problem with the black church is utterly laughable and reprehensibly hypocritical.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:44 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,068 times
When I lived on N. Tryon, I voted once at the old Tryon Hills Elementary school. I was one of the few White people in line. All the Black people in line were carrying the same newspaper sized paper and I didn't know what it was. So I asked the Black lady next to me what they were looking at. She said it was voting instructions passed out at their church. It was a duplicate of the voting machine ballots in use at the time and showed which levers (votes) were to be pulled. The ones not to be touched were blacked out. In included block voting to minimize the votes of any undesired candidates.

I've never seen such a thing passed out at any white church that I've been too or any polling place that was predominately White. I realize this is anecdotal, but I've seen it first hand in Charlotte.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 PM

104 posts, read 304,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Its no different than a CEO sending out an email saying an Obama victory would put the company in jeopardy.

No one should get bullied, intimidated or preached into voting for a candidate. I wonder what the Mormon churches are preaching/suggesting lol.
You should show up 1 Sunday and find out you may learn something

Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Ani and loves, the resurgence of the Republican Party for the past 30 plus years has been thanks to politics in the pulpit. To pretend that this is somehow just a problem with the black church is utterly laughable and reprehensibly hypocritical.
I give up.

I have plainly stated that ANY CHURCH (or mosque or temple - whatever) should be investigated in re: to its tax exempt status if the minister was endorsing particular candidates from the pulpit.

So how did this get turned into my being hypocritical?

Laugh if you want. I pay taxes. Churches don't. If they violate their tax exempt status, they should lose it.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:52 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntice View Post
You should show up 1 Sunday and find out you may learn something
no thank you...

I've had more than enough church in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte