U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:51 PM

28 posts, read 58,198 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Single mom recently moved to Charlotte.

I live in a sub division thats right next to school. The road that leads to entrance to sub division intersects perpendicularly with another road(lets say Jane Rd) leading to school. There is a stop sign at the intersection and zebra crossing on the intersecting Jane Rd. There is school crossing warning sign posted. Right at the stop sign is a middle school designated bus stop right after the stop sign. There are always 10-15 kids and many parents briefly stop here to drop/pick up their kids.

We have a snooty nieghbor who always gets irritated. When people stop at stop sign yielding to pedestrians/School kids or drop their kids, he stands behind and honks and often makes nasty gestures. It does not stop there. He dons the vigilante role and sends anonymous letters to neighbours. We have lot of asian americans and his letters are always aimed at them.

This man may be busy, but cant he leave 5 mins early or avoid the bus time? Cant he be understanding the person ahead of him is probably waiting for on coming traffic or yeilding to pedestriams? honking from behind is very rude, specially when kids are crossing. If he has issue with how homes are kept, we have an HoA and he can always complain instead of writing anon letters. Many of us try to ignore, but would really appreciate if something can be done. Pls help.

Thanks,
Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 06:26 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,013,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinary_Mom View Post
Many of us try to ignore, but would really appreciate if something can be done. Pls help.

Thanks,
Karen
I know a guy.

$2500 per knee.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,384,156 times
If you are in the right of way legally and proceeding according to law, I'd not worry about a finicky neighbor. I always find those type of people are looking for a confrontation or acknowledgement from you that it's irritating. Wave politely and smile at the gentleman, always remaining calm. It will do more to his blood pressure than you know.
If you really want to have some fun bring some fresh baked cookies over to his house and remind him of how lucky we are to have such a nice gentleman in the neighborhood.
Kill'em with kindness, it'll perplex the devil out of him and you will be amazed at how much better you feel.
(now where the heck is that little devil smilie when you need it.)

Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
That is just awful that one person is upsetting so many others by his obnoxious behavior.

There really isn't anything that can be done, unless someone wants to get a group together and show up at his door and ask him what the neighborhood can do to make his morning commute more pleasant for everyone . . .

I agree with others that the only thing to do is to act like you don't get it -- when he honks, just wave and if he makes rude gestures, just keep waving and smiling.

Of course, I guess you could all arm yourselves with cams and take photos or videos of him acting like a fool - and then send the copies all over the universe - upload to YouTube - send to the police (to show them there is an angry man endangering children at a bus stop) and to his wife and his neighbors . . . but that is a lot of effort to go to in order to make a point to a man who sounds like he has anger issues and may have even bigger problems than that.

I would be concerned he would target me. <eeeeeekkk>

If you do the video thing, maybe you or someone else could just upload to YouTube anonymously.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 PM

186 posts, read 372,796 times
I'm not suggesting that vulgar language or behavior is acceptable, but perhaps try to look at the situation from the man's perspective. I have an elementary school bus stop in front of my house and it never ceases to amaze me what a daily event it is, the whole production seems to take 30 minutes each time between people arriving, the bus showing up, the kids getting on board and then people leaving. So it can be pretty hard for someone who works regular hours to avoid the various bus stops. I'm lucky that parents monitor my bus stop, but I know of a middle school bus stop where its utter pandemonium of kids playing in the street, hassling passersby, ripping up and throwing landscaping (their favorite is crepe myrtle bud bunches) and leave half eaten breakfast everywhere. Point being, he may be zeroing in on something parents have tuned out, and parents are good at this, and there are two sides to every story.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:34 PM

520 posts, read 772,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinary_Mom View Post
Hello,

Single mom recently moved to Charlotte.

I live in a sub division thats right next to school. The road that leads to entrance to sub division intersects perpendicularly with another road(lets say Jane Rd) leading to school. There is a stop sign at the intersection and zebra crossing on the intersecting Jane Rd. There is school crossing warning sign posted. Right at the stop sign is a middle school designated bus stop right after the stop sign. There are always 10-15 kids and many parents briefly stop here to drop/pick up their kids.

We have a snooty nieghbor who always gets irritated. When people stop at stop sign yielding to pedestrians/School kids or drop their kids, he stands behind and honks and often makes nasty gestures. It does not stop there. He dons the vigilante role and sends anonymous letters to neighbours. We have lot of asian americans and his letters are always aimed at them.

This man may be busy, but cant he leave 5 mins early or avoid the bus time? Cant he be understanding the person ahead of him is probably waiting for on coming traffic or yeilding to pedestriams? honking from behind is very rude, specially when kids are crossing. If he has issue with how homes are kept, we have an HoA and he can always complain instead of writing anon letters. Many of us try to ignore, but would really appreciate if something can be done. Pls help.

Thanks,
Karen
You would want to remain a little unknown...

Such d bags cannot be helped.. They will eventually become irrelevant to society or die..
Dont worry

Old 10-30-2012, 07:15 AM

820 posts, read 1,536,686 times
Kill him with kindness, which will make him crazy(ier). If he is doing something that is breaking the law (i.e, noise by blowing the horn unnecessarily or other behavior) stop by the police station in your area and talk with the Lieutenant in charge of your Response Area. The horn blowing nut-job is only going to escalate his outrageous behavior until something serious happens. It goes without saying that he is an angry man with issues that could cause him to blow and hurt someone and it could easy be a child. Or, he's going to blow the horn and make gestures to the wrong person one day and someone's going to come out swinging or shooting. Maybe someone can covertly record the scene and show that to the Police.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:38 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,138,943 times
He shouldn't be honking at vehicles yielding to pedestrians, but why do people have to stop near a stop sign to drop their kids off? I see this every day on Idlewild and in my neighborhood. Can you not drop them someone that others may get around your vehicle?

Old 10-30-2012, 07:38 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,922,279 times
If he is doing this regularly at roughly the same time each day I would ask the police to come by and take a look. Let the police decide if he is honking at cars waiting for pedestrians in a crosswalk or if he is honking at cars unnecessarily blocking traffic.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:45 AM

42 posts, read 47,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
If he is doing this regularly at roughly the same time each day I would ask the police to come by and take a look. Let the police decide if he is honking at cars waiting for pedestrians in a crosswalk or if he is honking at cars unnecessarily blocking traffic.
^^^THIS!

Call up your local PD (not 911) and ask if they can send someone by to "monitor" the situation (your best bet is to call in the afternoon and ask them to send someone over the following morning). If the pedestrians are in the right of way, the driver is obligated by law to wait. If he has an issue with time management, that's his own problem, not yours. Chances are, the cops will come and watch, wait for him to speed off, them write him a ticket for speeding and/or aggressive driving.

There is more than one way to get almost anywhere in this city, I'm sure he could find an alternative, or like someone said, leave a few minutes earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or