U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:02 PM

42 posts, read 46,876 times

Advertisements

While it is perfectly legal and in some opinions entirely justified to shoot the dog as a means of protecting your property, there are ways to be more humane and civilized so that no more animals get hurt.

This is a civil matter not a criminal matter and I'm sure that in your attempts to call AC and or the local authorities they've told you this, countless times. So by calling them again and again and again, you're only going to irritate them and put yourself on their "black list" of annoying civilians. It's not that they don't want to help you, they just can't. It's outside of their responsiblities. If you want a moderator, this is what lawyers are for.

Have you tried having a peaceful conversation with your neighbor? Have you ever sat him down face to face and "shot the breeze" over a couple of buds and a BBQ? He has no obligation to you aside from human decency, morals and ethics (which he is obviously lacking in relation to you) to ensure that his property doesn't harm yours. If he doesn't care about you (which he obviously does not) then he doesn't care about your property. You have to build respect, so maybe try that route?

If that doesn't work, get a lawyer. If you have any evidence, you've got the case won already. I know in a lot of the rural areas outside of Charlotte, there aren't any leash laws (which also inhibit the AC from doing anything) so you would HAVE to get a court order to get the dog tied up or caged.

If you do attract the dog and show him the love and compassion that your neighbor is neglecting to, it's not guaranteed to keep him from killing your chickens. Dogs are natural hunters, their innate characteristics are to hunt. Also--have you ever seen dogs play with each other, they play off cues. If a dog can't read a chickens cues or a chicken doesn't know how to give off cues, then maybe the dog is just playing a little too hard and doesn't realize his effects?

That having been said, if you do catch the dog and take him to a shelter, you neighbor can get you for kidnapping. It's true. While your neighbor is ruining your property (chickens) via means of his dog, you do not have permissions to "steal" your neighbors dog. Yes you can shoot the dog...as a means to protect your family, but you can't kidnap him. It's screwed up, but it is what it is. Lots of shelters, even no-kill shelters won't take a dog that has a history of killing animals, plus you have to pay a no-kill shelter to take the dog (like $100).

Speaking from experience, pay a lawyer few bucks and move on with your life. It's the safe, legal and humane way to handle this situation. Unless you'd rather try to build a good relationship with your neighbor to where he respect you enough not to let his dog destroy your property.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Excellent post, Littlemiss! great advice, too.

It is a complicated situation, from both a neighbor to neighbor viewpoint (longterm relationships) as well as the legal aspect.

You summed it up very nicely.

I just wish the neighbor would find a new owner for the dog and solve everyone's dilemma (including the dog's!)

Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,537,721 times
How about the following:
1) Get instructions on how the dog can be trained - (maybe some city-data members on this thread can give advice on that or ask the pet forum within city-data)
2)Print out the instructions
3)Ask the neighbor, son and yourself to see if you can jointly get the dog trained to stay away from the chickens (someone in another post said they blew airhorns when the dog got near the chickens, is that the only way? or is there a better way)
4)If neighbor won't listen, see if the son is willing to help train, if not, see if you can negotiate something (like give him something he values after 4 weeks, if he listens).
5)If neither works, see if there is something important to the neighbor and play off that. If flowers are important to him and been ruined, you can say training the dog will help getting your flowers ruined. Or if you can offer eggs on a monthly basis for a couple months, if this is successful.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:54 PM

9 posts, read 12,045 times
Honestly, we have talked to him over and over and over. We don't have a great relationship anyway, so this doesn't make it better. The fact is he told his son to leave the dog here if the chickens were in the coop...to me that sums it up...he just doesn't care at all to be a good neighbor. My husband(along with another neighbor) has helped this guy numerous times. He doesn't own one single tool, he doesn't own one single piece of lawn equipment so every time a tree falls or his kid needs his tire pumped he sends them over here. We have always helped. As far as the chickens, he has never offered to compensate us for the loss of eggs. We have so few chickens left we have resorted to buying eggs again(at $3.75 a dozen it gets expensive for a large family)

Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,650,129 times
Don't do the backwoods/deliverance thing and shoot the dog...

Shoot the dog? Really people?? lol

I'd get a trap(have a heart) and bait it. In the meantime, call an attorney to see what you need to do that is legal. I'd be hesitant trying to get legal advice from anonymous people on a message board...

Old 10-30-2012, 03:37 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,062 times
My recommendation is the for everyone who says "Don't Shoot the Dog", please volunteer to go to the OP's home and catch this dog and take him somewhere where he might be better off. Hopefully the owner of the dog won't sue you for stealing his property.

I suspect there will be a lot of silence to that because people are happy to pass judgement on other people's morals, not has quick however to put some action behind it.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:45 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,134,027 times
My husband and I are huge dog (and all animal) lovers. I read him the OP and without commenting asked him what his opinion was. Without hesitation he said to shoot the dog.

I see both sides, but I think it comes down to if your family's livelihood is being threatened by the dog. I hate to see an animal killed, but this situation is different than a dog wandering into a neighborhood yard. Sorry I can't offer any more advice than that.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:20 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,110,264 times
What I have not seen here is...build a fence. Fence in the property with an impenetrable material...or, even chain link for that matter...and electrify it. If the dog tries to go over it or under it, he gets a shock. He won't go near the fence again.

Probably cheaper than a lawyer & more humane than shooting the dog.

also as an afterthought: check your local pound. Sometimes, you can get full-grown chickens there for $6.00 apiece. I did that for my son when he had a small chicken farm in Union County and had lost a lot of chickens. He had a similar situation with a neighbour's dog, coyotes, opossums, raccoons & even a bobcat. (free range chickens are not easy to do here in NC). He ended up fencing in the whole thing...the coop, run, etc. with fencing on all sides (including the top) and dug down a few feet deep.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:25 PM

404 posts, read 723,844 times
Take the dog to the pound as a stray after you have sufficient photos of it on your property.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,292,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
oh please its a dog, and its destroying property. Get a 12 gauge with some 1 shot or buckshot, and shoot it. problem solved. We shot dogs in PA for just stepping foot onto our property.
Some people have evolved from immediate violence as a resolution. Some have not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpleasantmom View Post
Honestly, we have talked to him over and over and over. We don't have a great relationship anyway, so this doesn't make it better. The fact is he told his son to leave the dog here if the chickens were in the coop...to me that sums it up...he just doesn't care at all to be a good neighbor. My husband(along with another neighbor) has helped this guy numerous times. He doesn't own one single tool, he doesn't own one single piece of lawn equipment so every time a tree falls or his kid needs his tire pumped he sends them over here. We have always helped. As far as the chickens, he has never offered to compensate us for the loss of eggs. We have so few chickens left we have resorted to buying eggs again(at $3.75 a dozen it gets expensive for a large family)
$3.75 a dozen? You like them there high falutin eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
My recommendation is the for everyone who says "Don't Shoot the Dog", please volunteer to go to the OP's home and catch this dog and take him somewhere where he might be better off. Hopefully the owner of the dog won't sue you for stealing his property.

I suspect there will be a lot of silence to that because people are happy to pass judgement on other people's morals, not has quick however to put some action behind it.
So if we don't go trap the dog ourselves, and we don't want the dog to get shot, our opinion is somehow less important because you say so?

The logic here is non existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte