U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,760,296 times

Advertisements

I voted early today. I had to give them some information and they verified I had the right info and issued me a paper which had my name and address on it along with some sort of code numbers. The clerk took me to the machine and punched in the numbers issued to me and then turned on the voting machine. I thought they weren't suppose to keep records of who specific people voted for . Why should they? As long as a vote is made by a valid voter why should they record any more than that..Does anyone know more about what is going on. I wish I would have questioned them about it today but they were very busy and I didn't think about it. There has been so many complaints about tricks pulled at voting stations I dont trust them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 PM

21,875 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I voted early today. I had to give them some information and they verified I had the right info and issued me a paper which had my name and address on it along with some sort of code numbers. The clerk took me to the machine and punched in the numbers issued to me and then turned on the voting machine. I thought they weren't suppose to keep records of who specific people voted for . Why should they? As long as a vote is made by a valid voter why should they record any more than that..Does anyone know more about what is going on. I wish I would have questioned them about it today but they were very busy and I didn't think about it. There has been so many complaints about tricks pulled at voting stations I dont trust them .
Early voting isn't in your usual precinct. I would assume that the codes told them what precint's ballot to bring up.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,640,110 times
Quote:
They don't track WHO you vote for but they do track WHAT you vote for.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,760,296 times
What gives the right to track anything I do. I showed I was a legal voter and thats all they should need to know. I thought they counted votes not names..

Old 10-30-2012, 11:35 PM

3,929 posts, read 7,492,210 times
Someone in another thread mentioned that no one knows what you do "when the curtain is closed." But there is no longer a closed curtain. Southbound may be right, and the code might be for your precinct, not for you personally - I don't know. But I've voted with poll workers practically looking over my shoulder. I'm sure they just wanted to be available in case I couldn't figure out how to use the computer, but it's kind of weird.

We just move to WA, and here voting is by mail. My name is not on the ballot, but it is on the envelope the ballot is to be submitted in. Of course, no one would ever misuse that, right?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:49 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Quote:
I voted early today. I had to give them some information and they verified I had the right info and issued me a paper which had my name and address on it along with some sort of code numbers. T.
This is a very good question. I noticed it too.

They are using a new check-in system this year. No more voter books.

Prior to this, they handed a hand written piece of paper to the poll worker to be used to set the machine to the correct ballot. It used to only have the preceint # on it. Now they are not only entering the precient # but also a rather complex serial #, that is computer printed with your name on the sheet you hand to the machine worker. IMO, a programmer could easily create a program to make out a list of people and their votes if that number is being recorded with the vote.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:24 AM

2,158 posts, read 2,355,735 times
^^^^ What frewroad said.

The poll worker carries an electronic "key" similar to a USB memory stick. It allows the poll worker to key in your address ID to get the exact ballot you would use in your home precinct. Remember some precincts have split NC voting districts, so your address is vital in getting the correct ballot.

(Of course, I still just verbally confirmed my address and got to vote, no "proof of purchase" required. I could have been anybody masquerading as me.)

Old 10-31-2012, 04:29 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,960,529 times
This has one nice benefit: 3 to 5 days after you vote, you'll stop getting campaign flyers in your mailbox!

Old 10-31-2012, 05:28 AM

162 posts, read 187,682 times
Not me, I voted on Saturday and have received 3 calls from the Obama campaign since then. Last night I told them I already voted and they had the nerve to ask me did I vote for the President! I just hung up the phone because I kinda PO and just didn’t know what to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
This has one nice benefit: 3 to 5 days after you vote, you'll stop getting campaign flyers in your mailbox!

Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 AM

162 posts, read 187,682 times
I noticed it too and I just asked them. It is very important to me that I know what is going on. The man was caught off guard, but he told me. I think it was 4 digits that represented my voting place and the other numbers were for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This is a very good question. I noticed it too.

They are using a new check-in system this year. No more voter books.

Prior to this, they handed a hand written piece of paper to the poll worker to be used to set the machine to the correct ballot. It used to only have the preceint # on it. Now they are not only entering the precient # but also a rather complex serial #, that is computer printed with your name on the sheet you hand to the machine worker. IMO, a programmer could easily create a program to make out a list of people and their votes if that number is being recorded with the vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte