U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:19 PM

107 posts, read 127,396 times

Advertisements

So I live in Indiana currently. I grew up in Charlotte and loved it. Four years ago I had no choice but to move because I had no job and was depressed because of family issues. Now I am over all the problems and I am ready to move back on my own. I have a job that will transfer. My mom is constantly causing problems because I want to move away. I am 28 years old and its time I get back on my own. I wont have a car the first year because my mom has decided that since her name is on the car I am not taking it. Which is fine I make enough money to be able to buy a used car (I am saving currently). My question is I have never been away from family and my heart is in Charlotte. I decided to go back to college so I am going to apply at cpcc next fall. I make $1100 a month so I can afford a place on my own. Any advice on this move is appreciated. I will be doing it all on my own. So someone please help?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0simplysweet0x View Post
So I live in Indiana currently. I grew up in Charlotte and loved it. Four years ago I had no choice but to move because I had no job and was depressed because of family issues. Now I am over all the problems and I am ready to move back on my own. I have a job that will transfer. My mom is constantly causing problems because I want to move away. I am 28 years old and its time I get back on my own. I wont have a car the first year because my mom has decided that since her name is on the car I am not taking it. Which is fine I make enough money to be able to buy a used car (I am saving currently). My question is I have never been away from family and my heart is in Charlotte. I decided to go back to college so I am going to apply at cpcc next fall. I make $1100 a month so I can afford a place on my own. Any advice on this move is appreciated. I will be doing it all on my own. So someone please help?!?!?
I know this is a scary thing to do, but good for you for following your heart and for wanting to stand on your own two feet

Tell us a little more so that we can give you the best advice...where is your new job location?

Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 PM

I work at cracker barrel in retail. My boss told me that the pay wouldn't change once I transfer. I work about 35-40 hours. I will be living off north tryon and my job is not far from there. If I need a second job I can get that. I just want to know the best way to make this move less stressful. I want to be happy. I am scared but I want to do this. I really do.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I work at cracker barrel in retail. My boss told me that the pay wouldn't change once I transfer. I work about 35-40 hours. I will be living off north tryon and my job is not far from there. If I need a second job I can get that. I just want to know the best way to make this move less stressful. I want to be happy. I am scared but I want to do this. I really do.
So you already have a place to live? What's the situation?

The only Cracker Barrels in Charlotte are off of I85 near Billy Graham Parkway and in the town of Matthews, neither of which is near N. Tryon.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:42 PM

The situation is I have a place in mind and have already talked to the manager. It's an extended stay hotel and its close to both cpcc and the job. I will only stay there a few months till I can find a better place. I know it's not the best thing but its just me and I don't need a lot of space. I have friends that have also stayed at this place and they told me good things about it. Me and my mom fight all the time and I am just tired of doing what everyone else wants me to do. Just last week me and my mom got into a huge argument because I changed my college major to what I want to study in Charlotte. It's like I cant live the life I want to without a huge fight. I just feel that the plan that I have in place is what is best for me and I can afford it and still be able to put a little money back into savings each month.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
The situation is I have a place in mind and have already talked to the manager. It's an extended stay hotel and its close to both cpcc and the job. I will only stay there a few months till I can find a better place. I know it's not the best thing but its just me and I don't need a lot of space. I have friends that have also stayed at this place and they told me good things about it. Me and my mom fight all the time and I am just tired of doing what everyone else wants me to do. Just last week me and my mom got into a huge argument because I changed my college major to what I want to study in Charlotte. It's like I cant live the life I want to without a huge fight. I just feel that the plan that I have in place is what is best for me and I can afford it and still be able to put a little money back into savings each month.
Just trying to get a clearer picture to offer you the best advice, okay?

N. Tryon is not near CPCC or Cracker Barrel. Without a car you will have great difficulty getting to work and school from there.

In addition, N. Tryon is NOT a great area. If you are a female I'd be very nervous about you living in that area.

Your plan needs a little tweaking....

Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 PM

I have looked into it and I found one at

3203 Queen City Drive Charlotte, NC 28208

which is 10 miles from where I will be staying. not far really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
So you already have a place to live? What's the situation?

The only Cracker Barrels in Charlotte are off of I85 near Billy Graham Parkway and in the town of Matthews, neither of which is near N. Tryon.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I have looked into it and I found one at

3203 Queen City Drive Charlotte, NC 28208

which is 10 miles from where I will be staying. not far really.
10 miles is a LONG way without a car honey.

The bus system in Charlotte is good, but not like in New York or other big cities. They don't run as often and stop running between midnight and 1:45 a.m.

You would be much better off looking to transfer to the Matthews Cracker Barrel. It is in a safe location and you can find a decent apt you can afford very close by.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 PM

The website that the place im going to says its 2 miles form cpcc. The cracker barrel is 10 miles. Plus I could ride public transportation to work and school till I can afford a car. I have already talked to friends. The manager of the place im going to is an ex cop. So I think I have checked everything out. So why does my plan need tweaking?

Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 PM

I will try the Matthews location there is another one of the extended stays there if I cant find an apartment. Plus I really dont want an apartment. I like the extended stay. I have looked into apartments and they are much more expensive then the extended stay. I don't want a huge place anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte