U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:32 AM

221 posts, read 300,824 times

Advertisements

Possible move from Chicago to Charlotte this year , and our cold weather last from Oct.-April , and it just seems like winter is half the year in Chicago. Can you tell me how long does winter last in Charlotte ?
how many months of cold ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,204,470 times

Old 11-01-2012, 09:38 AM

thanks for the chart ! , but i was hoping I could get some personal insight on how long winters last .
are people in Charlotte cold now ? how long does the cold last in your own opinion ?
what months of the year are cold ? how much snow ? that kind of thing .
I'll just look up some old thread I guess . thx.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:53 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,676,091 times
Cold is all relative. For example if it gets below 70 to someone in orlando, theyd be cold..here that is pretty mild. Id suspect your blood is thicker than mine just being used to colder weather.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,964,340 times
There's no comparison between Chicago winters and Charlotte winters. Charlotte is much warmer, sunnier, and has very little ice & snow compared to Chicago.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:06 AM

2,840 posts, read 4,160,782 times
We get very little snow here - maybe 1 or 2 days of actual 2+ inches of snow. Occasionally, we have a big snow year but that is rare. 40+ years ago I remember getting out of school for an entire week due to snow. Also, when it snows it melts within a day or so.

We do get ice storms occasionally. They are worse than snow because many lose power (I seem to always lose power ).

You will need a heavy winter coat maybe 3- 5 days during the winter. Most winter days you can wear a jacket and be fine.

You do need to know that if there is a chance of snow everyone goes to the grocery store, and the news begins reporting 'STORM-POCALYPSE 20XX' days ahead of the anticipated storm.

Also, please don't drive when the roads are icy. It is easy to tell who the recent northern transplants are because they think they can drive in it.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
There's no comparison between Chicago winters and Charlotte winters. Charlotte is much warmer, sunnier, and has very little ice & snow compared to Chicago.

thanks that's what I wanted to hear !

Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
We get very little snow here - maybe 1 or 2 days of actual 2+ inches of snow. Occasionally, we have a big snow year but that is rare. 40+ years ago I remember getting out of school for an entire week due to snow. Also, when it snows it melts within a day or so.

We do get ice storms occasionally. They are worse than snow because many lose power (I seem to always lose power ).

You will need a heavy winter coat maybe 3- 5 days during the winter. Most winter days you can wear a jacket and be fine.

You do need to know that if there is a chance of snow everyone goes to the grocery store, and the news begins reporting 'STORM-POCALYPSE 20XX' days ahead of the anticipated storm.

Also, please don't drive when the roads are icy. It is easy to tell who the recent northern transplants are because they think they can drive in it.
I understand, I will try not to stick out in the crowd on the ice
you know we get tons of that icy stuff up hear too.
thanks for the info Charlotteborn

Old 11-01-2012, 03:32 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,131,380 times
Hi! Welcome to Charlotte!

The winters are the reason that I live here! Yes, we do get cold...mostly overnight...but, rarely does it last for more than 24 hours. For example, it was in the mid 30's last night and today it warmed up to the mid to upper 60's. This type of thing is fairly common, the temps may go down 20 or so degrees in the "dead" of winter...but, again, it rarely remains below freezing for more than 12-14 hours. We will occasionally go down to single digits overnight, but it will warm up to at least 40 during the day.

Same thing with snow. We get snow. Now, it cycles and some years we get none and the next year we may get 8 inches. USUALLY it melts within 24 hours, but, the bigger snows hang around for a little longer. Because it is mostly sunny for a good amount of the time, even the big snows melt some during the day. OK, then, we might get the re-freeze (and black ice) overnight...but, the next day, the sun comes out...well, you get the picture.

We DO have snow plows. Have just read that they hired a guy that used to run the transportation system in Colorado to take over the management of these plows. This is good news. Many times, frustration abounds when the snowy roads are not cleared promptly, creating hazardous driving conditions which cause schools/businesses to shut down unnecessarily.

We do have more ice storms than actual snow. They can be bad because of everything associated with the hazards of ice. However, they usually melt the next day and damage cleanup happens and all is well.

So, bring the winter coat & know that it won't get a LOT of use, but, it will be used some. Bring the snow shovel so you can shovel your driveway during our snows...making life easier for you and anyone coming to your house.

By late February, we are beginning to see some warmer temps, by March, spring is trying to peek through. The cold snaps are shorter and the days get warmer. All threat of frost is pretty much over by mid April.

By the way, "normal" winters don't start until around late November. We are experiencing much colder-than-average temps right now...and, the mountains have had the earliest measurable snow in many, many years. So, this year might be the anomaly.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:20 PM

407 posts, read 728,564 times
We left the snow shovel in Pa.
Drive my "regressing to my youth car" 12 months of the year here, in Pa it was garaged Nov to April until all the "boulders" they used for anti-skid were finally off the roads and no chance of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or