Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:19 AM

82 posts, read 186,277 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about retiring in the Charlotte area to be near our daughter and son-in-law. I know the summers are hot, but we'll be giving up our cold winters. I figured that's a fair trade. But for you New Englanders who've already moved down, is it? I don't like wind and sleet pelting me in the face or slipping on ice on my driveway when I walk down to get the mail, but there are also nice sunny days, when, if you're dressed properly, you can go for a walk and admire the snow covered countryside and listen to the snow crunch under your feet. Are there a reasonable number of nice days in the summer, or does everyone spend most of their time staring out the window, wishing it were tolerable enough to go outside, as we do here in winter?

Also, what's the trade off on heating expense up north versus air conditioning expense down south. Another even trade, or is it on average more or less? We do also use air conditioning here and you obviously use heat too, so I'm really asking about the total.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 08:25 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,308,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromCT View Post
We are thinking about retiring in the Charlotte area to be near our daughter and son-in-law. I know the summers are hot, but we'll be giving up our cold winters. I figured that's a fair trade. But for you New Englanders who've already moved down, is it? I don't like wind and sleet pelting me in the face or slipping on ice on my driveway when I walk down to get the mail, but there are also nice sunny days, when, if you're dressed properly, you can go for a walk and admire the snow covered countryside and listen to the snow crunch under your feet. Are there a reasonable number of nice days in the summer, or does everyone spend most of their time staring out the window, wishing it were tolerable enough to go outside, as we do here in winter?

Also, what's the trade off on heating expense up north versus air conditioning expense down south. Another even trade, or is it on average more or less? We do also use air conditioning here and you obviously use heat too, so I'm really asking about the total?

Thanks!
True unbearable summer heat in Charlotte is very short-lived (July and August), compared to many more months of snow, ice and cold you guys get up there in New England

Charlotte is a very treed city, so everything is just very lush and green in the summer. I find it very pretty! And the summer heat has never prevented me, or anyone I know, from getting outside and doing yard work, taking a run or just shooting the breeze in the driveway with neighbors.

Now, be forewarned, we have one regular poster here who HATES the Charlotte summers. He will be along shortly I'm sure to tell you ALL about it and how dreadfully awful it is

But honestly, I think the absolute worst of the worst is about only about 3 weeks long - the end of July to about the end of August. You can endure it for that short a period of time, I'm sure!

Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,341,303 times
I agree with lovesmountains up there ^^^. I'm from the Chicago area (as you can probably tell), and I have NO issues giving up 6-7 months of winter for 1-2 months of heat. Never had issues getting outside the house during the summer months. There have been a few days that were unpleasant, but hit the pool and it will be all better :-). Plus there are always indoor activities you can do for a few hours in the middle of the day if it becomes too hot.

The worst summer I ever remember was in Chicago (1995) when it hit the 100's for days. It was horrendous.

Forgot to add: we do have cold days/nights in the winter, but they are mild compared to up north.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:41 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,419,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Now, be forewarned, we have one regular poster here who HATES the Charlotte summers. He will be along shortly I'm sure to tell you ALL about it and how dreadfully awful it is
LOL! I was going to post the same thing.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:45 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,607,726 times
I know that others disagree with me, but coming to NC from CT, I personally don't feel much of a difference as far as the summertime heat. It was sometimes unbearably hot & humid there as well, and of course there was no A/C to take the edge off, plus you had all of those damn bugs & mosquitos. I like the longer span of milder weather. Of course, as a downside, if you're like me and like to go swimming in nice, really cold water, you won't find places to go, including the ocean, where it'll be like that.

If it helps any, my parents left CT and came here about 10 years ago. When they had to move to Ohio for his job a few years ago, they found themselves miserable during the cold weather. They're finally back once again, and I don't think they plan to go anywhere else.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:46 AM

103 posts, read 394,664 times
I'll take the cold over extreme heat any day.

But it seems to depend on what you do for a living. If you work outside the heat is going to bother you more than someone who works indoors and goes outside to have fun..

Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I know that others disagree with me, but coming to NC from CT, I personally don't feel much of a difference as far as the summertime heat. It was sometimes unbearably hot & humid there as well, and of course there was no A/C to take the edge off, plus you had all of those damn bugs & mosquitos. I like the longer span of milder weather. Of course, as a downside, if you're like me and like to go swimming in nice, really cold water, you won't find places to go, including the ocean, where it'll be like that.

If it helps any, my parents left CT and came here about 10 years ago. When they had to move to Ohio for his job a few years ago, they found themselves miserable during the cold weather. They're finally back once again, and I don't think they plan to go anywhere else.
The worst is trying to cool off by jumping into the pool only to find the water warm enough to boil eggs..

Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,607,726 times
Yep. I was just talking to my brother the other day about this. We were wondering if it could ever be feasible to actually cool the water in a pool. Of course, it would probably help a lot if they'd make the pools deeper.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:31 AM

373 posts, read 774,744 times
A lot of northerners have been moving to Charlotte for many reasons over the last 20 years. 30 years ago Charlotte was a truck stop on the way to Atlanta. Now it is a destination. I have to ask. Is it worth leaving all family and friends and your community and digging up all of your roots just to have some more sunny days? I am native to Charlotte. The weather is a real selling point for sure. The weather seems to come up as a number one reason why a lot of northerers want to move down south and then when they get here, they won't shut up about how great it is up north. Upon being asked why they relocated, the weather is usually their first response. Charlotte is a great city. Most of the success of this city is organic. It was built into what it has become from the ground up. So if you want to come here and be a compliment to what we do, then great. Just pack everything up but leave the bagels in the fridge, because this is cornbread country down here.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
A lot of northerners have been moving to Charlotte for many reasons over the last 20 years. 30 years ago Charlotte was a truck stop on the way to Atlanta. Now it is a destination. I have to ask. Is it worth leaving all family and friends and your community and digging up all of your roots just to have some more sunny days? I am native to Charlotte. The weather is a real selling point for sure. The weather seems to come up as a number one reason why a lot of northerers want to move down south and then when they get here, they won't shut up about how great it is up north. Upon being asked why they relocated, the weather is usually their first response. Charlotte is a great city. Most of the success of this city is organic. It was built into what it has become from the ground up. So if you want to come here and be a compliment to what we do, then great. Just pack everything up but leave the bagels in the fridge, because this is cornbread country down here.
Everyone complains.. Not just Northerners.. Just all about different things..

And Charlotte Success is built around banking, which isn't home grown. The City Charlotte is today wouldn't be possible without the migration of buisness, banks, and families to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte