U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 AM

7,106 posts, read 9,705,958 times

Advertisements

AZZZ holes at Cross Bay bridge to Rockaways collected $3.50 toll yesterday. Recinded last nite. If paid by EZ Pass you get your money back. Cash...no return. I get half back

Old 11-05-2012, 06:07 AM

Default If you can walk you can dance

Flash Mob (NYC chapter) 7590 strong! planning event for next week. Putting together a strong show of support and giving.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,272,468 times
I hate to be a downer here but random people showing up at random places with supplies is going to hinder more than help. If you're going to sign up for a FEMA clean up crew, that's one thing, but if you want to send something, send money directly to the organizations that are already there.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:29 AM

277 posts, read 580,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I hate to be a downer here but random people showing up at random places with supplies is going to hinder more than help. If you're going to sign up for a FEMA clean up crew, that's one thing, but if you want to send something, send money directly to the organizations that are already there.
Just wondering if you are up here to see what is going on with relief efforts?

I can assure you that victims are extremely grateful for the continued efforts of random people sharing desperately needed supplies with those in need.

Bottled water and soup provided by the Red Cross only goes so far...warm clothes, clean socks and undergarments, toiletries, furniture and bedding are in great demand.

Here in Staten Island, many of us continue to transport supplies down to New Dorp Beach and Midland Beach from staging areas along the SIRR right of way. NYPD is allowing us to enter the hard hit areas with the supplies.

Red Cross response has been marginally effective at best.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,272,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
Just wondering if you are up here to see what is going on with relief efforts?

I can assure you that victims are extremely grateful for the continued efforts of random people sharing desperately needed supplies with those in need.

Bottled water and soup provided by the Red Cross only goes so far...warm clothes, clean socks and undergarments, toiletries, furniture and bedding are in great demand.

Here in Staten Island, many of us continue to transport supplies down to New Dorp Beach and Midland Beach from staging areas along the SIRR right of way. NYPD is allowing us to enter the hard hit areas with the supplies.

Red Cross response has been marginally effective at best.
I'm not up there so I don't really know what's going on. I've been involved in other disasters where lots of volunteers showed up and caused a lot of coordination problems. As long as its a well-coordinated and organized effort that goes through the staging areas with some oversight and coordination I'm sure it's going well. I misread some posts and assed this to be a bunch of independent volunteers.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Horse Manure

Old 11-05-2012, 03:14 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,923,434 times
My relatives who are there with no power, a flooded basement, two lost cars, no washer, dryer, water heater, furnace, furniture, ruined carpet and no good way to get to a store, had 6 kids from a nearby church show up today. They brought them coffee, garbage bags, cleaning supplies, food and water. They asked them if they could help them clean up. Random or not, they were VERY grateful for the random acts of a strangers. If I didn't know my being there would be more trouble than help, I'd be up there now.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:38 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,062 times
I think local volunteer help is great. However, I agree with coped is the last thing that place needs are hordes of individual cars showing up to "help". The damaged infrastructure can't handle it and there is no gas. My advice is if you don't live there, then help by donating to one of the large coordinated efforts.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:35 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,201 times
I know some areas in New Jersey you're either not allowed beyond a certain point or you have to either show proof of residency or be able to accurately describe where you live to the police to go into certain areas in town.

If you lived in Seaside Heights you're not allowed in for the next 6-8 months due to the gas line being compromised.

If you live in certain sections of Toms River you need to show proof of residency.

I believe it was Belmar or another shore town allowed their residents five minutes in their homes to pick up whatever they could before having to leave. Repeat ad nauseum throughout the shore areas and inland. You could have awesome intentions but depending on where you're going you're not getting very far.

I remember tracking it all day on Monday and it was supposed to make landfall sometime around midnight. I think it was the 5 pm briefing from Chris Christie and suddenly you hear that your time for preparation was over, it's making landfall around 6, the time to hunker down was now. Sometime around 7 or so things started going downhill, and around 8 it started getting rough. Once the power went out all you saw were the constant green/blue flashes of transformers blowing.

Where I am I saw a few rooftops torn off, numerous trees downed and blocking side streets (saw one blasted into a house and another resting comfortably on top of an SUV). You'd go down one street, come across a spruce blocking your path, go down a different road and a huge limb would block your path. Go a different way and come across another tree. Flood waters came almost from out of nowhere about a few blocks down from me, at least three feet high judging by the waterline at the Ride Aid on the corner. Supposedly the surge nearly submerged cars on another part of town. A house in back of here caught fire during the height of the storm. The high winds blew the flames over to the next house, setting that one on fire as well.

We lost electricity a few minutes after 7 on Monday night and didn't get it back until around 1 on Saturday afternoon. The temps plummeted down to the 40's and 30's overnight as the week wore on. Any time I felt like I could be a whiny little b**ch about things I would think of everything going on about a half hour south and my situation wasn't that bad.

Between New Jersey and New York, there's a general feeling of shock in the area. Power is still out in a lot of spots, gas lines were out of control (with a good dose of societal breakdown on some of those lines), in the back of your mind you know all of your favorite childhood shore places are gone, and now there's the threat of another decent sized nor'easter bringing 55+ mph gusts from Wednesday into Thursday.

I'd prefer to never go through anything like that ever again.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 11-05-2012 at 05:59 PM..

Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM

67 posts, read 64,384 times
Another great resource if you want to donate items but don't want to have to worry about how they'll get there: Occupy Sandy set up an amazon registry:

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-05-2012 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: no links please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or