Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 04:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times

Advertisements

Some apartments in Charlotte from a certain time period were built with attic spaces.

This kind of design can allow for a person from one apt to get into other nearby apts.

Back about 6 years ago, a woman was brutally raped in her apt just off 7th Street in Chantilly in an older apt with one big common attic. Those apts have since been torn down, but others with this design do still exist in Charlotte.

It's happening right now in a complex (Beacon Chase) off of Monroe Rd. Charlotte family burglarized, spied on through their attic - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...-linger/nSx8B/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 04:34 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,112,128 times
I had one of those attics spaces in my closet at Alexander Place Apts. when I lived there a couple years ago. I often wondered about why it was there. Of course, there was only one other unit on my floor so I wasn't too worried.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:16 PM

3,318 posts, read 5,523,209 times
Thanks for posting this Loves. I saw this on the news last night and couldn't find the name of the apartment complex anywhere.

I feel awful for these tenants. The occupants said they had asked to get out of their lease but were denied. I can't imagine staying in that apartment! I hope this a huge wake up call for anyone that considers leasing there at Beacon Chase or from any other project owned by Tritex Real Estate Advisors, Inc.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Thanks for posting this Loves. I saw this on the news last night and couldn't find the name of the apartment complex anywhere.

I feel awful for these tenants. The occupants said they had asked to get out of their lease but were denied. I can't imagine staying in that apartment! I hope this a huge wake up call for anyone that considers leasing there at Beacon Chase or from any other project owned by Tritex Real Estate Advisors, Inc.
The management company for this complex should be ashamed of itself and I hope anyone reading will avoid the place like the plague

If this were happening to me I'd break the lease, but many young people live so close to the edge financially that they can't afford to do that.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,375,650 times
Wow! I had one in my bedroom closet in Providence Court Apartments. I did think that it was odd to have one, not being a house. This will definitely have me leary if I was looking for a new place. The management team arms are held behind their back by corporate. Those in the corporate office do not see this as a grave concern because no one was raped or killed because of this. I feel sorry for those ladies who are going through this.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,785,073 times
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Let's not make people who happen to have an atic space int heir apartment feel like potential victims based on one or a few isolated incidents.

Not to sound insensitive, but property managers don't just offer to let people out of a lease because they don' like something. I hear that mess all the time. If I let someone out of a lease every time they complain about something, I'd have no tenants. You can't please everyone all the time. Shared atttic space is rarely a concern at all and can easily be addressed by a competent property manager and their staff in a very short amount of time with little to no inconvenience. It takes little more than a $2 latch to eliminate the risk of an intrusion. All a tenant has to do is ask.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 PM

373 posts, read 774,614 times
That is how this tripple murder happened at the Quail Run Apartments last year in South Charlotte.
Three men arrested in connection to murder of 4-year old girl - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Let's not make people who happen to have an atic space int heir apartment feel like potential victims based on one or a few isolated incidents.

Not to sound insensitive, but property managers don't just offer to let people out of a lease because they don' like something. I hear that mess all the time. If I let someone out of a lease every time they complain about something, I'd have no tenants. You can't please everyone all the time. Shared atttic space is rarely a concern at all and can easily be addressed by a competent property manager and their staff in a very short amount of time with little to no inconvenience. It takes little more than a $2 latch to eliminate the risk of an intrusion. All a tenant has to do is ask.
While I appreciate your position as a property manager, what the young people in the news story have endured is hardly them just "not liking something"

They are being stalked and the sanctity of their home violated.

They can hardly be expected to feel safe under the circumstances. They deserve to be let out of their lease if management can't be bothered to remedy the problem of access to their apartment from the attic.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,719,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

It takes little more than a $2 latch to eliminate the risk of an intrusion. All a tenant has to do is ask.
Sounds like negligence. Tenant shouldn't have to ask. But regardless, for the sake of mercy, if someone is victimized by a serious crime they should be allowed to break their lease. This isn't a simple gripe.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 AM

642 posts, read 1,163,363 times
You are not alone, in more ways than one...

During the 1960s, in my native South London there were a couple of cases were rows of large and older townhouses had often been converted into apartments. People had rented the upper floors and then had allowed/sublet not just their attic/roof spaces but the whole row. Adjoining walls had been pierced to allow access the whole length. Access was by one single door to the street. If I remember even half right, in one case, there were about 50 people living in the extended roof space.

This is therefore not a new phenomenon. The only difference in Charlotte is the violent element. I do not recall that from the London episodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte