Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I once had an AMAZING Cuban sandwich out at Redmann Square (Central and Albemarle Rd) but I believe the restaurant is now gone. At that time, I was having lunch with some folks from Childress-Klien who manage(d) that center and they highly recommended I try it. It was my first Cuban sandwich and I LOVED it.

Sadly, that was many years ago and I was wondering where in Charlotte you thought might have the BEST Cuban sandwich. I had one yesterday out at the Sports Page on Bellhaven and it was good....but not as good as my first.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,068 times
I really haven't had a good cuban sandwich since I moved back from S. Florida. It's been my experience that it's pretty rare to find much of a Cuban community outside of S. Fla.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:03 AM

372 posts, read 659,204 times
Being Cuban myself, I have had the same search. La Gran Havana (on Albemarle, if still open), used to have decent cubans.... Someone may recommend "A Piece of Havana" on S.Tryon. I have given them 3 chances, and have come away totally unsatisfied with their food. Carlos' Cafe in Tega Cay is average.

My recommendations:

1) Website called "My Big Fat Cuban Family", there is a link for recipes. I have tried several of them, including sandwiches, and they are good!

2) Not sure where in town you are, Publix (Indian Land and Ft. Mill) makes a Cuban sandwich. They are where they keep the pre-made sandwiches in the deli case. Get one and go to the sub counter in the store. Ask them to press the sandwich for you. They are good! They even have a sit down area in the store with WIFI just in case you can't wait to get home to eat!

ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
Being Cuban myself, I have had the same search. La Gran Havana (on Albemarle, if still open), used to have decent cubans.... Someone may recommend "A Piece of Havana" on S.Tryon. I have given them 3 chances, and have come away totally unsatisfied with their food. Carlos' Cafe in Tega Cay is average.

My recommendations:

1) Website called "My Big Fat Cuban Family", there is a link for recipes. I have tried several of them, including sandwiches, and they are good!

2) Not sure where in town you are, Publix (Indian Land and Ft. Mill) makes a Cuban sandwich. They are where they keep the pre-made sandwiches in the deli case. Get one and go to the sub counter in the store. Ask them to press the sandwich for you. They are good! They even have a sit down area in the store with WIFI just in case you can't wait to get home to eat!

ENJOY!!!!!!!!
La Gran Havana may be the one I am thinking of....though I thought the place was closed....perhaps it's a different name?? I don't know but will look next time I come by.

Interesting about Publix....would have never thought of that! Thanks for the info and recipe idea may be the one I try first!

Old 11-07-2012, 10:31 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,808,276 times
For what it's worth, Growlers Pourhouse in NoDa won the Charlotte Observer's Best Sandwich award this year for their version of a Cuban.
Best sandwich in Charlotte? The Growlers Reuben | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 AM

368 posts, read 945,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
For what it's worth, Growlers Pourhouse in NoDa won the Charlotte Observer's Best Sandwich award this year for their version of a Cuban.
Best sandwich in Charlotte? The Growlers Reuben | CharlotteObserver.com
Close, that's a Reuben.

The Cuban is from Havana Carolina Cafe.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,808,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
Close, that's a Reuben.

The Cuban is from Havana Carolina Cafe.
My fault

Old 11-07-2012, 12:10 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Hey,

I once had an AMAZING Cuban sandwich out at Redmann Square (Central and Albemarle Rd) but I believe the restaurant is now gone. At that time, I was having lunch with some folks from Childress-Klien who manage(d) that center and they highly recommended I try it. It was my first Cuban sandwich and I LOVED it.

Sadly, that was many years ago and I was wondering where in Charlotte you thought might have the BEST Cuban sandwich. I had one yesterday out at the Sports Page on Bellhaven and it was good....but not as good as my first.

Opinions?
Just asking...what was the best cuban sandwich you've ever had? I haven't had one outside of Miami (I grew up in Miami), just need to know you're frame of reference

Old 11-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Just asking...what was the best cuban sandwich you've ever had? I haven't had one outside of Miami (I grew up in Miami), just need to know you're frame of reference
I don't know what you mean....as I said, it was at the restaurant (Cuban owned and operated) there on Albemarle Road....I'm thinking this may have been 7-10 years ago....it was a while back. Was it Little Havana?

I don't remember the name.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Herban Legend

The Herban Legend - Home

I don't eat the stuff, but, my son swears by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte