Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_MS View Post
Well the area is located pretty close to The Charlotte Museum of History. About 7 miles from Chancellor Park Dr. is like 10 minutes from the University of NC in Charlotte, which I think it's close to I-85.

Is it too bad???? I wish to know what should be my safety concerns in the area.

Thanks again.

Actually you are no where near the museum, and that is a very good thing. Chancellor Park is across from the UNCC - a better area. This is not east Charlotte okay? This is the University area The only bad thing about this area is that students over at the student apartment areas of often targeted for home invasions or thefts. Hopefully you will like it just fine - just be aware it is like living in New Orleans, not Biloxi. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 05:42 PM

8 posts, read 19,101 times
Thank you. Feel better now. I got it. But how about the Museum, we shouldn't even go for a visit is it that dangerous?. I would love to know more about the Queen City. Anyway. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:49 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,810,878 times
No not that dangerous just not a very desirable place to live....

Old 10-03-2006, 06:11 PM

Oh Gosh! Now I'm really confused. I've just check my map, and the place is about 8 miles from the University and about 2.2 miles from the Museum. So now, I'm worry!!! Please LOVESMOUNTAINS tell me all the bads, so I can be adviced. I do understand the difference between MS y LA, where we lived before the storm we could let the doors wide open day and night and find a nice gift from our neighbors but when we move to LA it was a world of difference.

I understand what you said CHARLOTTEAGENT, we used to managed a beautiful and elegant B&B and walk along the beach in the evenings, but we had lived through Katrina, believe me the Gulf Coast is not desirable lately, and the weather just don't help.

No matter how much people saw or heard about the destruction, living it and then have to do deal with the aftermath changes is pretty hard.

We know is not perfect, we don't have kids yet so hopefully we'll find a better home in a couple of years.

Thanks for all the info you all. Is hard to be new on town.

Ana

Old 10-03-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Feel better now. I got it. But how about the Museum, we shouldn't even go for a visit is it that dangerous?. I would love to know more about the Queen City. Anyway. Thanks for the info.
Oh no, I didn't mean you should never go there. I just wouldn't personally recommend living in that area The museum is definitely worth visiting.

Charlotte isn't dangerous in the way you might think. There aren't areas of town your life would be in danger just for driving through (unlike say, the Caliope Housing project in New Orleans!). We don't tend to have neighborhoods with gangs sitting on street corners waiting to car jack you or anything. What we have are a lot of car thefs and house break-in's. And those things are more frequent in places where there is a lot of foot traffic - someone walking the neighborhood doesn't look as suspicious but could really be up to no good the minute no one is looking. Basically, be careful shopping after dark at your WalMarts and mall type stores. Either go with someone or wait till daylight. Especially the nicest malls - theives love to target people there, especially around the holidays.

You will find many things of interest to do in Charlotte. Go uptown and visit Discovery Place, the science museum that has an Omnimax theater - I love that place. Visit Concord Mills mall, the largest one in several states. You can even tour Charlotte Motor Speedway or just visit the gift shop there. Most weekends there is always something going on somewhere. We have many festivals and events. Buy a newspaper every Friday - the Charlotte Observer publishes a pull out section every Friday with all the things going on in Charlotte that weekend and in the upcoming week. Any specific activities you want to know about?

Old 10-03-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Oh Gosh! Now I'm really confused. I've just check my map, and the place is about 8 miles from the University and about 2.2 miles from the Museum. So now, I'm worry!!! Please LOVESMOUNTAINS tell me all the bads, so I can be adviced. I do understand the difference between MS y LA, where we lived before the storm we could let the doors wide open day and night and find a nice gift from our neighbors but when we move to LA it was a world of difference.

I understand what you said CHARLOTTEAGENT, we used to managed a beautiful and elegant B&B and walk along the beach in the evenings, but we had lived through Katrina, believe me the Gulf Coast is not desirable lately, and the weather just don't help.

No matter how much people saw or heard about the destruction, living it and then have to do deal with the aftermath changes is pretty hard.

We know is not perfect, we don't have kids yet so hopefully we'll find a better home in a couple of years.

Thanks for all the info you all. Is hard to be new on town.

Ana
Anna, you did say Chancellor Park Drive right? Or did I misunderstand the name of the street? Is there another street name you will actually be living on

Old 10-03-2006, 06:44 PM

Well, we are about 7.5 miles from Chancellor Park Dr. But the main streets seems to be N Sharon Amity Rd and Smarock Dr. Is about a block from the intersection of those two. The house is in a Cul-de-Sac, so I hope is not like people will walk through.

And yes sadly I think I'm close to the Museum.

But I think I'm getting the idea of the safety actions to take. Now I undestand why everything is soo quite at night, no body want's to go out in that area.

Hopefully will get something better in a couple of years.

I definitelly will visit Concord Mills, I had been in the Potomac Mills near Washington, DC after Thanksgiving and is every girl's dream!. Heheheheh. We've shopped for ours there.

I would love to know about the Arts in the area, Ballet performaces and we need to find a couple of nice restaurant, my husband used to be a chef (French, Italian and Cajun food). I think he'll miss the spicy flavor.

I really appreciate you taking time to let me know about the area.

Thanks again.

Anna

Old 10-03-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Well, we are about 7.5 miles from Chancellor Park Dr. But the main streets seems to be N Sharon Amity Rd and Smarock Dr. Is about a block from the intersection of those two. The house is in a Cul-de-Sac, so I hope is not like people will walk through.

And yes sadly I think I'm close to the Museum.

But I think I'm getting the idea of the safety actions to take. Now I undestand why everything is soo quite at night, no body want's to go out in that area.

Hopefully will get something better in a couple of years.

I definitelly will visit Concord Mills, I had been in the Potomac Mills near Washington, DC after Thanksgiving and is every girl's dream!. Heheheheh. We've shopped for ours there.

I would love to know about the Arts in the area, Ballet performaces and we need to find a couple of nice restaurant, my husband used to be a chef (French, Italian and Cajun food). I think he'll miss the spicy flavor.

I really appreciate you taking time to let me know about the area.

Thanks again.

Anna
Anna, can I ask, is this a place you will be renting or buying? And how soon?

Old 10-03-2006, 07:02 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,456,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh no, I didn't mean you should never go there. I just wouldn't personally recommend living in that area The museum is definitely worth visiting.

Charlotte isn't dangerous in the way you might think. There aren't areas of town your life would be in danger just for driving through (unlike say, the Caliope Housing project in New Orleans!). We don't tend to have neighborhoods with gangs sitting on street corners waiting to car jack you or anything. What we have are a lot of car thefs and house break-in's. And those things are more frequent in places where there is a lot of foot traffic - someone walking the neighborhood doesn't look as suspicious but could really be up to no good the minute no one is looking. Basically, be careful shopping after dark at your WalMarts and mall type stores. Either go with someone or wait till daylight. Especially the nicest malls - theives love to target people there, especially around the holidays.

You will find many things of interest to do in Charlotte. Go uptown and visit Discovery Place, the science museum that has an Omnimax theater - I love that place. Visit Concord Mills mall, the largest one in several states. You can even tour Charlotte Motor Speedway or just visit the gift shop there. Most weekends there is always something going on somewhere. We have many festivals and events. Buy a newspaper every Friday - the Charlotte Observer publishes a pull out section every Friday with all the things going on in Charlotte that weekend and in the upcoming week. Any specific activities you want to know about?

You really don't have neighborhoods with gangs sitting on the corner waiting to carjack you?

We do!!

Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
You really don't have neighborhoods with gangs sitting on the corner waiting to carjack you?

We do!!
That's not to say I would ride thru places like Hidden Valley at night by myself! But generally, no, we don't have that kind of problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte