Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 PM

821 posts, read 1,854,700 times

Advertisements

I gave blood yesterday at the Red Cross on Park Road. I have not been a regular donor, but a few months ago decided to get in a donation pattern.

While there, I ask a Red Cross staff worker about the blood supply picture in the mid-Atlantic and New England states hit by Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy. She said as of yesterday that area of the country was showing a deficit of 14,000 units of whole blood. This means a blood shortage where it's needed in emergency situations, not to mention any elective surgery. The supply is not expected to get better any time soon.

I have an aversion to needles, which brings on cold sweats before the needle stick. On the other hand, I man-up, as they say, and give a pint to help others who will need blood.

If you do not have any issues that would preclude you from giving blood, contact the Red Cross and make an appointment. The whole process takes 45 minutes - an hour if you want to have two or three cookies and a Coke afterwards. It's virtually painless and when you see an 18 year old high school girl giving a pint of blood, one tends to forget about the needle stick.

Give, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
I gave blood yesterday at the Red Cross on Park Road. I have not been a regular donor, but a few months ago decided to get in a donation pattern.

While there, I ask a Red Cross staff worker about the blood supply picture in the mid-Atlantic and New England states hit by Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy. She said as of yesterday that area of the country was showing a deficit of 14,000 units of whole blood. This means a blood shortage where it's needed in emergency situations, not to mention any elective surgery. The supply is not expected to get better any time soon.

I have an aversion to needles, which brings on cold sweats before the needle stick. On the other hand, I man-up, as they say, and give a pint to help others who will need blood.

If you do not have any issues that would preclude you from giving blood, contact the Red Cross and make an appointment. The whole process takes 45 minutes - an hour if you want to have two or three cookies and a Coke afterwards. It's virtually painless and when you see an 18 year old high school girl giving a pint of blood, one tends to forget about the needle stick.

Give, please.

What an awesome reminder of how so many of us can help the hurricane recovery effort right here at home

Old 11-06-2012, 02:45 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Here are some upcoming ones:

Make a Blood Donation Appointment | American Red Cross

I need to start giving again, I was on a one year ban on account of going to a Mayan ruin in Mexico.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Thank you for this timely reminder! Will post the info on my FB page, too. This IS a great way to contribute to the recovery effort after Sandy.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:39 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,507 times
Default Donate Platelets every 7 days (up to 24 times a year)

If you've recently (in the past 8 weeks) donated blood, please consider donating Platelets. You are eligible to donate platelets every 7 days and can donate up to 24 times a year. Platelets help with clotting and are only good for 5 days so they are used quickly and can help up to 3 patients with one donation.

The process is very similar to donating blood. The main difference is that the blood is taken out of your arm, the platelets are separated and then all the blood is returned. The process takes 75 minutes for the machine to do it's magic but you are in a comfortable chair that reclines and most people opt to watch a movie or listen to music.

Platelets can only be donated at Red Cross Centers - there are no community drives. You'll need to call for an appointment 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-27677)

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me or call the Red Cross number. There is a special number to setup platelet donations and I'll provide that tomorrow when I get back to my office.

Additional Info Platelet Donation | American Red Cross

[Disclaimer: I've never donated platelets down in Charlotte, but I have been to the Winston Salem center multiple times so any experiences will be from that center and my first appointments with the new Greensboro center is in two weeks. Process wise it'll be the same, but it'll be tougher for me to recommend movies, W/S has over 200 to choose from. My last pick was Master and Commander]

Last edited by MysteryMT; 11-06-2012 at 06:53 PM..

Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,748 times
I was harpooned Monday.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I was harpooned Monday.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:57 AM

624 posts, read 2,108,507 times
Here's the direct number to the Platelet donation line - 1-877-975-2835

If you call the 1-800-RED-CROSS line, they'll transfer you for platelet donations or can help out with anything with blood donations.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I was harpooned Monday.
I took an arrow to the knee, up til then I was an adventurer.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:21 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,982,267 times
Bumping this up!!! Not much more that I can do to help from here. Gave blankets, food, money and prayer! We can give blood.. Probably the most needed donation at this time. Blood still needs to get to the rest of the world! Please help if you can? We are one!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte