U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 05:56 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
South Charlotte is not the only "real Charlotte." In fact, there are lovely sections in other parts of the city where good hardworking people live. To say that these people are not part of the "real Charlotte" is in my opinion insensitive and unnecessary. Just because someone is not wealthy enough to live in south Charlotte does not make them any less real members of the community. Many teachers, city workers, police officers and firefighters live in the east,west and north parts of the city. These are the people who make life in south Charlotte safe and comfortable. Surely they are real Charlotteans. No less Charlotteans, in fact, because they are not paid enough to buy homes in south Charlotte.

Hi Barb, sorry if my post offended you, I sure did no intend to do that. What I should have typed, but the edit feature was gone by the time I thought about it and came back was, "west, south and east Charlotte are the "real" Charlotte".

My comments about south being the "real" Charlotte in no way referred to the wealth found there. I was referring to what Charlotte really was geographically before the onslaught of growth and development took over. (I have not been able to come back on here and add to my post before now.)

These days it floors me what people can call Charlotte. I know our boundries have continued to expand, but for me the core of the city - THAT is what Charlotte is, and that is where you will find longtime Charlotteans or the few remaining natives. Not that some don't live at the lake or even in Ballantyne, but the the trendy areas are overwhelmingly made up of transplants.

Charlotte for me will always be places like Providence Road, Central Ave., West Blvd, uptown, Beaties Ford Rd., Sardis Road, Monroe Rd, ect... All those new developments and retail centers - I guess I'd call them New Charlotte

Just my 2 cents

Old 10-14-2007, 10:02 PM

674 posts, read 604,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirrrrrrrls View Post
I was at home with MY FAMILY on a Saturday night. They are the primary reason I am concerned about safety.

I am guessing that we are in much different places in our lives. It's good to get different perspectives on things. Mine is very different from yours, and that is OK. Take a deep breath and relax.
Goodie for you but just because you have offspring does not mean you are any more or less concerned about crime than me. And your post does not change the fact that you have overstated the crime in Charlotte and scared several posters for no good reason. You don't even live in Charlotte.

FACT: Crime in Charlotte is largely among people who know each other and violent crime is generally not random. But to be safe, perhaps we should all cower in the fetal positions inside our locked homes, just in case.

Last edited by ncisgreat; 10-14-2007 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: spelling is wonderful

Old 10-14-2007, 10:05 PM

153 posts, read 431,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
South Charlotte is not the only "real Charlotte." In fact, there are lovely sections in other parts of the city where good hardworking people live. To say that these people are not part of the "real Charlotte" is in my opinion insensitive and unnecessary. Just because someone is not wealthy enough to live in south Charlotte does not make them any less real members of the community. Many teachers, city workers, police officers and firefighters live in the east,west and north parts of the city. These are the people who make life in south Charlotte safe and comfortable. Surely they are real Charlotteans. No less Charlotteans, in fact, because they are not paid enough to buy homes in south Charlotte.
Great points! Charlotte is the largest city in NC and is a great place to find a wonderful home and community no matter what your needs are! We all need to remember that! Thank you!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:21 PM

153 posts, read 431,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hi Barb, sorry if my post offended you, I sure did no intend to do that. What I should have typed, but the edit feature was gone by the time I thought about it and came back was, "west, south and east Charlotte are the "real" Charlotte".

My comments about south being the "real" Charlotte in no way referred to the wealth found there. I was referring to what Charlotte really was geographically before the onslaught of growth and development took over. (I have not been able to come back on here and add to my post before now.)

These days it floors me what people can call Charlotte. I know our boundries have continued to expand, but for me the core of the city - THAT is what Charlotte is, and that is where you will find longtime Charlotteans or the few remaining natives. Not that some don't live at the lake or even in Ballantyne, but the the trendy areas are overwhelmingly made up of transplants.

Charlotte for me will always be places like Providence Road, Central Ave., West Blvd, uptown, Beaties Ford Rd., Sardis Road, Monroe Rd, ect... All those new developments and retail centers - I guess I'd call them New Charlotte

Just my 2 cents
ITA with wishing the edit function stuck around longer. Another function we need is the IGNORE function.

I can see what you are saying about your thoughts of the "real" Charlotte, as well, but in my experience it is very natural and fine for people who live near a city to identify with that city, even if their address does not contain the city name, KWIM? When you are telling people where you are from, they might have heard of Charlotte before they have heard of Huntersville. It's all good!

Also, the Lake Norman area is full of fabulous natives, from Huntersville, to Denver, to Mooresville, etc. That is a lot of what makes it nice, but also the great mix of people from all over makes things nice, too. I enjoy it and don't really view it as a negative. People move around more and more these days. We can embrace it and learn from each other, or resent it and call people outsiders. Unless you are a native American, we are all decended from outsiders of one sort or another. Again, it's all good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or